Fall Frenzy Triathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 43s
Overall Rank = 92/535
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/42
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, threw on clothes and ran out the door! I just wanted to grab a spot in transition (in the dark chilly morning) and then return home. The race start in the pool was not scheduled until 10:15a.m. which was disconcerting for me as I did not want to sit around for almost five hours waiting to race. This is the only issue with this great local race that brought in 700 people this year. I drove home and slept again from 6:30-8:30, got up (Groundhog Day!) again, and took a hot shower, did a serious shave, and had my typical race breakfast. A bowl of oatmeal, wheat toast and a bottle of Chocolate Ensure, to help grow my gray hair longer...
Event warmup:

Got back to the race site about 9:30, and ran into that mystical magic man Dick Dime. We chatted while I set up my shoes and glasses in the very first rack next to the "bike-out". We then walked down to the pool where I saw that there was still a huge line of swimmers waiting to start. I realized then, that I had done no warm up...I intended to do a quick jog and bike like I did at Pelican Fest with Kerry and Adam (super fast short course guys from my tri club).
Swim
  • 10m 18s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The staged start with swim lanes assigned to swim times was disconcerting for me. I am much more comfortable with being thrown in a lake and told to swim around it. Here I was with four other guys who were all faster than me and I was hoping to pick up a little time. I was uncomfortable during the swim as I rushed my breathing and didn't get into a comfortable zone like I do in the reservoirs. If a faster swimmer tapped my toes, I had to let them pass at the end of the pool, so I killed 30 seconds or so by stopping and waiting for three passes. Not ideal. I felt slower than I actually was, but I am not pleased. I have not been swimming consistently, and it shows.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

There is a quite long run from the pool to the transition, out of the Rec Center,past two parking lots, across a street, and then across the field to the far side where the bike out and my bike were located. I left a pair of racing flats outside the pool so I wouldn't have to run this barefoot like last year.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 15s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I got out of T1 fairly smoothly, but my breathing was not controlled for the first twelve minutes. I was already well into a fairly long hill at this point, and I was getting pissed watching one of the faster guys in my swim group pull away from me. I did not feel particularly good on the bike, but I climbed efficiently in lower gears. On the way back, I threw up a bit, but did not stop. I just sprayed my arm off with water and tried to keep up the pace. I was pleased to reel in the fast swimmer on the biggest hill (Chambers Rd.)and I was focused on keeping a fairly easy tempo so I would have energy to push the last couple miles. Right after this hill I saw Kenny (triathlonfun) rip past me on his bike, followed by a couple other guys who were all cranking hard. (No, they were not drafting). I rode the last 1/2 mile in at an easy pace to avoid the meltdown of last year in T2.

Next year I hope not to get pulled over by the chief USAT official while on my bike. As I was cranking up the last hill before the bike turnaround, the race officials on a motorcycle pulled up to my left. I had been riding alone, not within 500m of anybody for most of the race. I slowed down and yelled over to the guy on back of the motorcycle,pulling out his clipboard. I said "what's going on ?" He said" I am pulling you over" I said "why; do I need to stop?" At this point I realize that the official is Graham. Wilson, a neighbor,friend,tri coach extraordinaire, and USAT official. So Graham pauses, and says" I'm pulling you over because you're ugly!" He then laughed at my nearly stopped, puzzled self, and then rode off! Of course this whole exchange was broadcast over the radios of all the organizers, so I got quite the razzing after I finished!

I am not sure. I am dissatisfied with all my biking segments except for the time trial like, bike legs at 24 Hours of Triathlon.

I feel I have made good gains in my biking overall, but still feel very unsatisfied at my time here.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I did this nearly perfectly,until my race number ripped off my race belt on the way out of T2.I was pissed because I had taped the pins on the race belt closed with electrical tape just so the number could not come off. The number was paper, instead of the usual plastic fabric, and it tore; go figure!

Shoes unbuckled, jumped off, carried bike, threw it into rack, helmet off shoes on at same time. Grabbed hat and glasses,racebelt, and RAN!

Nothing, except getting a new race belt.
Run
  • 25m 7s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like my legs were in cement leaving T2. I ran across the park exit right in front of Dick Dime's car. He leaned out and told me to speed it up! I felt pretty wrecked on the way out and figured I must have been running a ten minute pace. I was not a happy camper,and my brain was f*cking with me telling me that this was a hard race. I must have had a low seven minute return, as I resolved to make my legs move on the way back.

I don't know! The 13.1 race distance was a hell of a lot harder, but I had more focus and resolve to do that, than the tiny little training run distance yesterday! I think it's all about being "in the race" mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like sh*t after the race, and staggered around for a few minutes,drank water, Gatorade, and more water. Within half an hour, I was on a massage table in our club's tent, and started feeling much better. The massage on my legs was like nirvana! Afterwards, I sat and congratulated all my club buddies on winning all kinds of medals for their great performances.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head.

Event comments:

This is a great local race, except for the pool swim. I will likely do it again,but have to prepare more for it, mentally and physically.

I am quite unimpressed by my swim, my bike, and my run (although I salvaged the run),but I was eight minutes faster than last year, and nearly executed my plan to shave ten minutes off.

*Full race details came out today 9/10/07 and I was 16th out of 42 vs 24 of 45 in my age group so I am a little happier about my race.

Last updated: 2007-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:18 | 500 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/42
Overall: 0/535
Performance: Below average
Suit: Parker Tri Club's finest!
Course: 25M Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:15 | 13 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/42
Wind: Some
Course: Park trail, onto roads. Fairly regular hills which make the short course challenging. I've ridden this course a number of times, including earlier this week, and it is a challenge deciding where to put the power down, and where to take it easy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:07 | 03.12 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/42
Course: Out and back on the CHerry Creek Trail. Cement trail that I often bike and run on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Fall Frenzy Triathlon

2007-09-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: #958184

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Hey Zev, sounds you were struggling a bit today but still shaved off 8 mins of last year's time!! That is a great job!! Next year we will practice the pool part together instead of the bike. Like you I felt uncomfortable in the swim for the same reasons.
2007-09-10 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Zev, good to see you out there.  FF is always a fun race. 
2007-09-10 5:58 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to improve over last year, nearly a 10% improvement.  And it sounds like you know what you need to work on over the winter.

"What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head."

2007-09-10 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
8 minutes faster than last year, great job!  I agree, I would much rather swim in the open water.
2007-09-10 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Great race, nice improvement!

Fantastic race report!!

2007-09-11 1:09 AM
in reply to: #959286

User image

Master
Denver
Thank you guys for the positive notes.

I'd love to get all you guys that are local together,...maybe beers one night?

Edited by Z-dog 2007-09-11 1:10 AM
2007-09-11 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Don't be disappointed with taking 8 minutes off your time from last year.  That is awesome!  I took 46 seconds off my time and I'm happy with that.  Great to see you out on the course.  I agree with you about the swim....the faster swimmers in my lane totally mess with me.
2007-09-11 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
BTW.. Your swim was faster than mine!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Triathlon Rss Feed