General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/52
Pre-race routine:

Good night's sleep - trying to think positively about the race.
Event warmup:

Quick swim in the ocean. Powerbar for breakfast and some gatorade - along with the multiple toilet trips I always make before the race start.
Swim
  • 37m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Despite having to wait before they started our wave - the current was pulling people across from the finish area to the start area - my actual run into the water and beginning of the swim was good. I felt calm and smooth - and as it turns out perhaps too calm. In past years I have done better when I worry a bit more about my time in the water - consequently I was not as fast as I could have been. Then again I haven't been swimming as much as I should have!
What would you do differently?:

Should have tried to pick up the pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Reasonable T1 for me - it always takes some extra time to make sure I get my bag zipped up so things don't spill out when the volunteers take them.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I was slower on the bike this year time-wise than last year but in fact I didn't get passed by any girls on the bike, only got passed by 7 guys on the course and totally felt I was cranking it out.

I got a little confused at the end of the course with where I was to go - partly I think because there was a guy in front of me who was not in the race (just biking) and he went through the barriers to get off the race course. It kind of took me out of my zone.

Also what happened to Little Ethopia - did the bike course change?
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

It is hard to run in my speedplays but well I managed it. (I sounded like a horse clip clopping through T2). Apparently either there were not enough volunteers or I dunno but I had to find my own rack and put my bike etc away. I heard other people had volunteers do this for them! Still not a bad T2 for me.

Why did I take my sunglasses off after my helmet when I was only going to put them back on again? OK not much of a time waster but still totally unnecessary!
Run
  • 56m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

All that time I made up on the bike - I lost on the run. It was a solid run but slow. Don't like the new run course very much - would rather they would let us have done the old course but I think it was expensive to get extra police coverage for the additional road closures.

Ummm maybe not have done an 8 mile trail race on the Monday before the race??? My legs just didn't have the speed they should have had! (Mind you I did enjoy my Run to the top of Mount Baldy and LA triathlon - so maybe a slow run is a good trade off!)
Post race
Warm down:

Wet towel on my head and cheering on my friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough drive on the swim to go faster and a trail race earlier in the week that still had not let my legs recover.

Event comments:

I love LA tri - but I wish they would return to the old run course - otherwise I know we always start late, not everything goes to plan but it is so nice to see downtown LA in this way!

Last updated: 2007-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:09 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/52
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen - full suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:10 | 24.85 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/52
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:56:38 | 06.21 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/52
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 4:17 PM

Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-09-10 5:25 PM
in reply to: #958795

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job on the tri! It's also nice to hear some positive things about a race that people really complain about. In any case, what a super race for you--and as you know, everyone had a hard time on the run.
2007-09-10 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Well done!!  Yeah, isn't it trippy riding through LA with NO traffic??  Crazy!  I think the run killed everyone because I looked at the faces of these people and it was the look of, "Come on, do we really have to run this fliipin' hill and then pretty much do it again?"  Not my favorite race but I want to keep doing it again.  Cheers
2007-09-11 12:46 AM

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Wow.  Great bike split!   Little Ethiopia is still there, with your bike time you were hammer down as you blew by on Fairfax and missed it.  Only a  few blocks really.   Fantastic race report.  Lots of complaints about the swim course.  I suppose they could have moved the swim exit a few yards south, but I've never been to any race that did everything perfectly.  This was my first time at this race and I LOVED it.  Hope to see you there next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed