Genesis Anventures
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 57m 37s
Overall Rank = 52/70
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Egg, ham, and cheese sandwich on wheat with extra salt three hours before race time. Cliff bar two hours before race time. Hydrated with water.

Event warmup:

Five minutes swim warm-up. Light stretching.
Swim
  • 17m 48s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't sure where to start amoung my wave. I wanted to get out fast and I'm never sure how fast or slow everyone else will be. The first 200 yards were exilerating. I didn't get beat up too much but had to do some weaving and was hit in the legs a few times. Once I got out on my own, I tried to find a good rhythm. My first mistake came on the stretch out to the first buoy. I guess I wasn't sighting well and ended up about 50 yards left of where I wanted to be. I tried to angle back to the bouy and managed to sight better for the remaining of the race. From the first buoy to the second buoy, it seemed like forever. I just tried to stay calm and swim smooth and effortless. I did manage to sneak a peak at my HR during part of the race. It was at 159, hardly effortless.
I was happy to be exiting the water and checked the HR again which was above 170. More importantly, I finished at slightly over 17 minutes. I was shocked and happy to see that. Towards the end of the swim, I kept thinking, only 3.5 more hours, and I'll be done.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

The swim took more out of me than I expected, so I walked to and into the transition for the most part. Getting the suit off and shoes on went well. I managed to even put sunblock on before heading out.

Get one of those tri suit so I don't have to put on a shirt.
Bike
  • 2h 22m 50s
  • 38.2 miles
  • 16.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't care what anyone says, this course if tough. I think it would be about 20% less difficult if the 1/2 mile climb wasn't there right at the start of the race. I managed to get my HR up to 184 at the start and it seemed like it took me a few miles to recover.
When I got to the main road, I saw a biker on the side of the road puking. I didn't feel as bad about my high HR after seeing that. I learned later that he had some bad sushi the night before. Either way, that hill is enough to make you puke.
The course is challenging. One loop is 17.5 miles. There was a headwind on the back side and my speed was pretty slow for that stretch.
There are a some nice hills and long managable inclines. The race started after 10:30 so by the time I had finished its after 1pm and the sun and heat are wearing on everyone I'm sure.
I was so relieved to be done with the bike, especially since I was thinking I may have to DNF during the first loop. Somehow I managed to settle in. My focus became to take it easy, conserve, and finish the race in under four hours.

Get more endurance rides in mixed with hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Relatively quick transition considering I walked for part of it. Still don't have cycling shoes so that helps not having to change into sneakers.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 13m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Quite a hilly course. I was so beat from the swim and bike that eventually I walked on every hill to try and keep my HR under 172. Running slowly on down hills and flat ground I still managed a HR of 166 or so.
There were three water stops on the course, technically five but one was in the beginning. There could have been 10 water stops and that wouldn't have been too many.
Maybe next year them can put a shower along the road.

Lose weight and train on more hills
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat

Event comments:

Course was well organized from the start, transitions, volunteers, finish, and post-race. Starting time should be earlier though.

This was a significant race for me. Its was my longest and most difficult race to date. It wasn't much of a 'race' but more so of me simply covering the distance. I'm glad I did it and won't be too hard on my slowness. I managed to take 2nd in Clydesdale so this was an extra special race. I'm sure it helped that there were only four clyde partcipants, I'll take it though...

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:48 | 1056 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 10/70
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleevless
Course: Triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:22:50 | 38.2 miles | 16.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 55/70
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of 17.5 miles with a tough 1/2 climb to the loop starting point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:13:59 | 06.2 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 55/70
Performance: Below average
Couldn't get my HR down. I guess it was normal considering the time of exercise, course, and the heat.
Course: Hilly...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 7:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Philadelphia Endurasport Mini

2007-09-10 7:41 PM
in reply to: #959067

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Endurasport Mini

Nice job.  I think there were a lot of people for whom this turned into less of a "race" than simply a physical challenge--one to be proud of!

Congrats on the hardware!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Endurasport Mini Rss Feed