United States
Ironman North America
77F / 25C
Total Time = 13h 45m 19s
Overall Rank = 1466/2207
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 205/266
Pre-race routine:

04-07-07 - - Qualified for this slot - kinda - thru the IMCA70.3. I went for a fun time in Cali, race the HIM, and hopefully get a spot - DONE AND PAID!!! Now need to train and prepare for it and arrival/birth of #2!!!

3 days away and prediction time:
1h17m SWIM
13m T1
6h38m BIKE
14m T2
5h47m "RUN"
14h9m IRONMAN!

This RR will be updated when time permits, just putting in facts and need to rest. If anything or anyone is left out, please tell me, I am trying to place all memories here:

Well Everything started on Thursday, took off early from work to organize gear for bags. Went to work for a short time Fri- then OFF TO Mad-Town to register and the Banquet. Everyone warned me the line for registration could be long - 15 mins later I was done and back on the terrace with Craig, firstnet911, staring out at the swim course. runaway, Andy, met us up there. It was incredible the view, with being inspired and antsy to do something, I went swimming. At first for about 20 mins, but wanted to swim the loop. It was a great day to swim, there was no crowd, no noise, no boats - perfect swim. Loooking at the Capitol and the Terrace during the swim was breathtaking - that tied into the emotions of being under 48hours. Went back to the Jeep (yes I changed inside my car in the parking structure) and then toured thru Ironman Village until about 5 when I met up with Phil (1stTimeTri), Jim (birkierunner), and Jeremy (jtobin) waiting in line for the banquet. We chatted and thru out strategies. Craig met up with us and we started moving down to the hall.

It was a great banquet - we had a prime spot to see the bigscreen, ate good pasta, met up with Joe (jszat) Rob (pseudoyams) and Amy, Jeff Metzger, Pete (peterAK) and Lori, and Andy (runaway). It truly was inspirational. They showed good videos and Mike Reilly really made it fun. I have most of it on video. (I took almost 2 hours of footage this weekend!)

When it was all done, we kept yapping and moving outward. Truly, we were starting to feel the DAY was coming. Everyone retired to Madison beds, I drove home to New Berlin and slept in my own bed (would have rather stayed in Madison - but needed to help get the family ready for Sat departure)

Saturday i woke up - 2:30, 3:30 and finally at 6 just got up and got moving. Will, my son, woke up with me and we went downstairs - him to the TV and me to pack the gear bags. Thankfully I had it all organized so it took little time to straighten out. About 8- Jeanne and Luke arose and we started the long 3 hour prep to leave - packing and feeding and chasing and calling. I really wanted to be out by 10:30 , but it was closer to 11:30. My brother Anderson came by and played with Will while we packed - THANKS ANDY!!! Then we finally hit the road.

We arrived in Madison about 1ish- I put the bike back together with Will's help- quite funny cause he wanted to use a bungee cord to do everything. The I rode up and down the parking ramp to check the feel - FELT good. Myles was ready for his big day. We packed up the stroller and off to Check-in. Just amazing how all those bags were laid out. With 2200+ athletes, I lucked out with #83 - I was always on the end rows and very easy to find where to grab the bags later.

After I was all checked in we toured a little and ran into Peggy (maggyruth). We hung out at the Terrace talking. Jeanne had to attend to Luke's needs - feeding time. So we found a nice little area on the main floor that overlooked the lake and we could hide in. So I moved a chair for Jeanne and Will then wanted his own- these chairs were not lite, but he pushed it 20 feet. Peggy, Jeanne and I were there for about an hour. Peggy showed me the great volunteer shirts and we looked to Sunday's craziness.

About 5 pm, we dropped my stuff at Ollie's - fellow dentist who lives in Madison and did volunteer the swim to bike bag room. I set up shop a bit and we were off to dinner at Bunky's on Atwood with Jeanne's sister Sandi (szbilicki) and Travis (her husband, travisvb24). Great food, I really enjoyed the smell of everyone's meal. I had basic spaghetti - but really wanted the spicier dishes they were raving about. We chatted and hung out til about 7. Then back to Ollie's, Jeanne and family went to her sister's in-laws in Waunakee.

I talked with Craig (firstnet911) and then Aron (ajotto) for a while, just firing up some adrenaline. It was crazy - uner 12 hours to the start. I think I was starting to feel the myriad of emotions - sadness cause it is almost over, excitement to do it, satisfaction knowing I made it here, not really nervous- just imagining this unknown world. I then did a final check of race day gear and set the special needs bags. I could have done this in about 20 mins, but took about an hour. I mixed my Powerbar Endurance formula (see the bike ride to understand WHY my 133% mix really paid off). In the end, talked to Ollie and crashed about 10pm - had to get up at 4am to get ready. GOOD NITE!!

Sun September 9th-
Today is the day. I woke last nite only once - the air mattress deflated under the weight of me and I was laying on the floor. Good thing it was about 3:00am and I just rolled flat to the floor for another hour. My alarm went off - 3x all 5min apart. Got Up and was instantly ready to go. No grogginess, just adrenaline. So did my business and ate 2 PopTarts, drank 8oz of Pickle Juice (cause I packed endurolyte bottle in the bike to run bag), and drank a little water. Everything was packed to go to the race, and for post race. Ollie then drove me down just before 5am - it was great to not have to worry about a car and parking.

So i wandered over to Special needs drop off bags with a few other first timers. Then strolled down to body marking- I saw a tall marker - hey it was Peggy (maggyruth). She marked up the 83's and Eeeaawww the left calf. Then I rolled thru Bike transition to load up the bike. On Saturday at dropoff I realized my bike is so tall it did not fit on the rack it actually was falling over onto other bikes. So I got an empty bottle from a neighbor and taped it to the rack to hold up my bike - perfect. Tires pumped and all gear loaded up - I was off. I called my wife and we were to meet up by the Helix.

I held her a spot on the top level - great view for the swim- but not as good as actually being in the water. She showed up and we took a few pictures, Travis and Sandi arrived also- thanks to the Tri Fox relative for snapping photos of us. I threw on the wetsuit, kissed Jeanne good bye and down the helix I go (Saw Darth Vader too). I got half way down and forgot water for my Torch- luckily a guy gave me some from his bottle. I Gu'd 20 min pre swim, Torch'd right before the water, and Gu'd again 5 min pre swim.

While waiting to get in - I met with Joe, Rob, Craig, Jim (birkierunner), Craig and Phil. We all yapped and good luck'd each other. And we were ushered into the water. As in Cali. I wore flip flops to the water and just left them there - donation to the cause. And then into the water we go!!
Event warmup:

Not really focused warmup - but swam out to the inside buoy with Rob and treaded water for 15-20 mins. We were 20 feet or less from the Pro start - AWESOME! As we tread water - we talked to several people - laughed, plottted our evil course. It was phenomenal to hear the crowd roar for us prior to the start. Rob said it sounded like a stadium.
At about 2mins to go I let out thte primal scream - EEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Swim
  • 1h 17m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Then cannon sounded and off we go - The Washing Machine Started. I waited about 3 secs ( Rob and I lined up about 3 rows in from the front and to the inside of the start buoy) and Then Hammer'd - I just let it out to try to get ahead. I never was trampled or had anyone go over me - a few bumps to the side and hits on the feet - but i did survive. At this point I thought Rob was gone. So I settled into a consistent pace with the crowd around me. Being inside of the masses helped cut down traffic. I did not get pinched often. At time it felt as if people would catch my feet and I would just thro in about 25 yds hard and stay ahead of them. At about half way thru the opening stretch - I looked left - it was Rob! we swam the pace most of the swim. I kept seeing him throughout the swim until about the last 10 mins, I saw him pass me (he finished about 10secs ahead).

I learned alot in that swim. 1> it is not easy swimming with 2000 people
2> it is faster swimming with 2000 people
3> turn buoys are nuts!
4> most people do not swim straight

1> It is not easy - you have to fight for room at all times and really use the catch up drill to protect yourself from flailing body parts - I especially had to watch out for whale feet - people would raise their feet really high and kick really hard to clear space. ( I M not specifically talking about a certain male individual in a red striped wetsuit at all). At times I could find a clear path and other times the world would converge.

2>Man can you draft and go faster when with the right pack. At times I felt effortless and just kept up with a few people who dropped me after while, but once you can learn to draft in teh water it is a great tool.

3>I compare the turns to rats clawing at pieces of wood to stay afloat. It was amazing I would front crawl up to the buoy and then everyone goes from horizontal front crawl to vertical doggy paddle at the turn. I tried on the first turn to get inside but couldn't, so I went under it. That was interesting seeing all those feet. I went down, grabbed the rope and pulled thru. I came up under someone and lifted them a bit. It worked but did not try it again. The rest of the way I fought thru except on turn three I was forced inside and just went along the inside of the buoy as it grazed my back. Overall turns were inthe end the hardest part

4> I can swim fairly straight, ask those who have OWS'd with me. I did a practice swim Sat and hit every buoy like an arrow. Today, I would set a path and next thing you know, someone is cutting thru my straight path going left at about a 45degree angle. It was frustrating to be all set and moving well, until you run into or across a zig-zag swimmer. But still managed to power around them a bit.

In the end, I really enjoyed the swim. It was fun and crazy - just imagine if the water was choppy! It was great on the home stretch to see the Terrace and the people. I really got my kick of adrenaline and started to move it. The final turn came, and it was my easiest turn of the day. I flew thru and worked it half way in. Then I cruised a bit to drop the HR and be ready to get up the Helix. I predicted a 1h17min swim - I looked up and saw the clock 8:16am- I am about to hit it - ON THE NAIL!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

I think being inside worked well, I did not get pinched, but if there is a next time - I would try the outside and just go the extra distance and see if less crush at the corners would help.

Otherwise i think I had a very good swim, probably could have been a bit faster if I did not have to wrestle the corners and avoid the wandering swimmers. But in the end - very happy - 1hr 17min and NO destructive hits
Transition 1
  • 12m 28s
Comments:

I came out of the water feeling good, I slipped on the ramp a bit but the voluteers caught me and helped me up. I ran to the strippers and off came the wetsuit. Now the run! Up the Helix I went, I kept encouraging the crowd to cheer us on - it helped when they were louder. At the top I saw Jeanne and gave her a kiss. Aron (ajotto) was there to cheer and did a great job on the video. Nice to see friendly faces after 80 mins in masks. I hit the Port-o-let and then to the room. I saw Ollie and grabbed my bag. Off to the changing room where my friend Tom ( in lots of Tatoos and hawaiin shirt) gave me a high five. I changed and made sure I was set to go. Douible checked and tied the bag - then out the door carrying the shoes and socks. Much easier to run than those in shoes. Got to my bike and saw Travis, Sandi and Josh - I was probably the only person with 3 poeple attending to my bike - SORRY EVERYONE!

I sat down aand threw on the foot wear. It took a while but was nice being on rack 6 in the front. I ran the back forward and cheered into the camera for IM live - the cameraman laughed. Then off to riding!

Not much - it went well - I was in no rush , just wanted to be ready. I should have turned on my Garmin up here, but forgot and . . .
Bike
  • 6h 38m 41s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

We started on Top of the Monona Terrace and went down the Helix to John Nolen Drive. This was a quick Shot into the 12 miles out from the Terrace to Verona for two 43 mile loops. It is hard for me to remember alot of bike course scenery because it reminds me alot of the Elkhart Lake rides I took- Farm Land and small towns. Also alot of it was the same - farm fields. Don't get me wrong- it is a scenic course, but very little stands out with emphasis. AND IT WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER SAW THE COURSE- no pre race bike or car rides!

I had to stop at the bottom of the Helix on John Nolen because I forogot to start the Garmin and let it acquire. So I set the bike up and tightened the shoes while it was acquiring. Needless to say after about 30 secs it was not ready so I just hit start and rolled. I really needed the HR info more than the speed and distance.

So we get off John Nolen and turn thru the Alliant Center Parking Lot on our way to the Bike path - which was a no pass zone (if you could read ). I got a big EEEEAAAAAWWWWW and go Chris Bauer from Joe's wife at this point. Great feeling to have all this support. We cruised out of twon towards Verona, not much in distinct memories here, just a few sights of blue sky and green fields with big barns.

Finally got to Verona area and remember the start of the loop going into the residential area and cruising thru town. We hit the turn to go past Fireman's Park and I recall this area from Jeanne doing the Verona Tri 2 years ago. Took a left and rode past the Special needs bags. Great to know where there are if needed later. Kept moving along, trying to keep HR about 140 (which it was the whole time until here). We then turned into the first series of hills. Not bad, I just worked up them with no real problem. I can't remember being passed by more than a dozen riders on hills today, partly because of where I was in the whole pack. I actually was passed several times on the flats and some downhills.

I did see quite a few people I knew or met. There was Mike that I met before the swim on Fri. We were about to chat, but up came the Race Marshall and off he went. I kept passing and be passed by Bruce - another tall fella, I did lose him about 3/4's thru on a hill he was limping/walking his bike up. But seemed ready to get back on the saddle. In the end there was Elaine who we kept the passing game and threw in good conversation in between passes. She was rockin'!

So thru all the hills we went. I really LOVE hills now. Last year I hated them, but have learned alot in a year and just DOMINATED them (well, not quite like those who were way faster than me) but I felt good up all the hills. I even told several people how much I love the hills.

I vaguely remember going thru mt Horeb. Kinda came and gone. Alot of times I did not even know which road I was on. I just followed the pack. There was a set of hills on Garfoot that I really enjoyed. They were good climbers. on the first lap I saw Joe on the side fixing his bike and asked if he was okay, I just got some weird noise from him. I made it up that hill in one piece. But the second up I shifted down and the chain popped off. Going up hill I had to click out and stop. I fixed the chain and waited for a quick slot. BOOM off again and passed several people that just passed me. It actually let me rest a bit and I seemed better after fixing the chain. On lap 2, I popped the chain again on the first hill, again fix, wait and pass people. Then it was again off to undescript land.

I remember the vertical grass wall with cows grazing, that was a great site, especially after the little quarry lake. Then making some turns into a longer climb. Not sure where it was, but again, just passed people one by one.

I do remember the Tour de France Hill. THAT WAS A BLAST!!!! I saw it ahead of me and got ready. Both times were sensational. The first time I flew up it at about 13-15 mph. I just nailed it. I hit the first steep portion in the saddle, felt the tug coming and stood up and hammered it home. The crowd was AWESOME!!!! I felt like a pro going thru a finish chute. Those people were so encouraging. The second time thru I still nailed it, just a bit slower. It was at about mile 75 my endurolyte canister popped out of my pocket and went awol into the other side of the road with traffic - good bye!!! I had 2 hours to go and the bigger climbs coming. I was due for the electrolytes at that point to, and it was 45 min since the last one and I was due for 2. this became an issue in about 10 mins I was starting to cramp slightly. I did adjust on the fly and rop all water consumption and switched to my PwerBar Endurance formula and Gatorade Endurance because of Higher sodium. I cut the pace down a bit just to make sure I would not lock up. It worked, I maintained myself and hit the hill and just went in an easier gear. I still passed several people and almost ran into another biker. She was passing someone, and I caught her when she caught him. and to top it off a guy sat down on the road where I was passing. I yelled left several times, she was not happy cause she said she had no where to go. but I replied I just wanted to make sure she knew I was htere and hopefully the guy would move - he rolled out of the way. We hit the top and cruisin resumed.

There was a big big down hill with some winding turns. Neither time did I pedal with any force on this, I used it to recoup the legs and prepare for the next portion. On one down hill the first lap, there was carnage on the road. A woman was down on the right, a guy parked on the left was running to aid her. She was laying there, conscious and holding her legs. I slowed to not hit them and hoped other would learn to communicate so no accidents would occcur - no dice - people were still flying by with out alot of caution and several people did not stay in the right lane when not passing. A little upsetting, but I tried to be as cautious as possible.

I did hit the Special needs area after round one. The right knee did flare up and need the ES Tylenol. so while there I did sun goop and boost it so to be ready for round 2. Off I went after about 2 mins. I was excited to hit the second lap and was feeling pretty good.

The ohter big area I remember was the final Verona Party for about 2 miles. Just flew threw here and loved the whole crowd. I guess Sandi and Travis and Josh were there for both laps, I did not see them until lap 2. Great seeing fellow donkai out there. Truly a sensational area to ride thru. The crowds really boost the adrenaline and make you feel on top of the world. Each time thru was Fantastic.

After the second pass - time to go home - 13 miles left at the strat of Whalen. I took the left and realized - I was at 99 miles. I was talking to Elaine at this point and we both celebrated my first 100 mile ride at the 100 mile marker ( Of course I did do 4 95+ mile rides previous to this) And we celebrated at the 105 mile marker too. At this point I decided to pur it on a bit and try to get in a little faster and then just kick back in T2 a little more. I passed a lot of people coming back. The roads actually stick in my head bettter on the way home than on the way out. I remember the bike trail, and ducking even though I probably did not have to. The crowd coasted in past traffic - bumper to bumper. They honked and cheered which was fun! Then we crossed the Nolen past the lakes - aa great site - and saw the terrace. Up the helix with no one around me, not too bad, and got to the top where I told the crowd - "that's it I M done "!! and just laughed. It was such a fun ride.

I would have done a few things differently. ]
1. Rode the course prior to just remember it better - but I do not think this affected my overall speed
2. If I cared about time, hammer it a bit more, but I wanted to remeber this more than just flying thru.
3. Not drop my electrolytes - that sort of affected my nutrition plan, but I was able to manage and cope.
Transition 2
  • 16m 55s
Comments:

After the final Helix climb, I got to the top and yelled out, that's it I'm done! a few people laughed and I just rolled up to the bike stop. I gave my bike to a lady who was about 5'0 and it was funny cause the bike was alomost as tall as her. I popped off my shoes and in I went.

I took my sweet time here! I was a little tired and sore in the knee at this point. I felt it best to stretch a bit and make sure I had what I needed for my first Marathon. I saw a few guys just slouched over and going nowhere. Really no one at this point was rushing, just hanging out. I got dressed and tied up the bag. Hit the lotion ladies and wiggled the whole body as they greased me up. Then to the Pee station and the Run begins

Nothing - I was here to finish, I could have been faster, but why?

maybe if there is a next time - I will try to get out faster, but again - I wanted to remember as much as possible for my first and only IM

So overall - below average on efficiency, but good enough for my goals
Run
  • 5h 20m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

AND the run! If there is ever a portion I dread and always have - it is the run. Even in college for hoops we had to run - I never wanted to. And I was never fast. It always resulted in me being unable to walk for a few days.

BUT positive thinking and some donkey attitude- I embarked on my first ever marathon. The best was hitting the first turn after the special needs area and seeing Donkai - Sandi, Travis and Josh. then hitting the first aid station where I believe it was deannas eeeaaaawww'ing. Such a great pick me up to the start.

so I was ready to go and off. I cruised thru the first mile at 10:38 m/m and realized I need to slow a bit - there are 25 miles to go. I do not want to bonk. Also, I was looking at trying to go 12:30 m/m pace so followed with 12:09, 11:23 and 11:45. Much better. I saw pseudoyams about a mile out coming off his first lap. EEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!! He was looking awesome. I rounded a corner and took a straight away where the college girls were banging a pan and chanted "Mr Bauer" Okay i felt a lil old here, but htought when in college, I would have just sat there and enjoyed my beer too, while staring at half naked women running - okay I was eye fodder for a brief moment. I turned right and there was Camp Randall. It was about mile three when I entered. ANd when I got there, I just took the easy stroll!!! What a sight. Rob caught me here and kept on flying. I EEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAWww'd loudly and it just echoed. It was quite a great time going thru Camp Randall, I did have to run at one point - the camera man was ther, I did not want a stroller picture - in the end, it was the money shot of the day. He framed it perfect and I look like I am running strong. And look like I am enjoying it!

So Camp randall and down the street. Take a right and off toward the park. I just kept a good pace- mixing up the power walk and easy jog. I am so glad I practiced the power walk, it really was a life saver. I even did run backwards a few times later in the day- just to keep the legs fresh. The park was a fun place to run Tookk a right into the park and looped to the right.

All day I was trying to keep the nutrition proper. I woould drink H2O at every stop, and take 2 gels every 3 miles. Every 30 mins I dropped in the endurolyte. For the run I do not have a fuel belt, but I did use one of my smaller flasks to carry a little water to help wash things down between stations. This worked well.

Then came OBSERVATORY HILL - ohhh boy! Everyone hit the wall. I saw 2 people try to run it, both stopped less than half way up. But once up top the view of the lake was great. I did meet up with Dan from Waukesha here. We were going about the same pace. So we just decided to keep each other moving. My jog was slightly faster than his and my pwer walk was slightly slower. This worked well cause he just wanted to keep running and this made me run a bit more than planned.

Dan and I did a full loop together. We started on the hill and ended on the hill. I do not remember much of that 13 miles, but we did shoot the breeze about alot. The memory track was derailed for a bit. I remember coming down off Observatory and truning left to State st. Everyone likes a good arse. And the big one on my shirt got a lot of notice. Each time someone said - hey there's a donkey - I eeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww'd LOUD n PROUD. Sate St was fully ran. I was not about to look worn down on this street. I held the carrot high and kept moving forward.

People even wondered about the carrot. A few people from the bike remembered the carrot on the jersey and as they passed me and saw the donkey head on the run, they figured it out. The carrot has now been with me for EVERY run this season. It has done a sprint, an olympic, 2 HIM's and now the IRONMAN! A great season for the orange. I used it each time to carry endurolytes, gel, and this time Tylenol (thanks goodness for those - taken 2 every 1.5 hours). But it is the end of the Carrot. After all those miles it will be retired at the finish line.

I did see jmwebs on the State st station. It was great to see all these donkai supporters all over the course. That gave me another boost to finish up the State. Once off I resumed a little walk to the lake front. Dan and I kept a good pace thru the park, past all the signs- which I did not even read- too focused on goinf forward. We hit the 60's aid station and he went shooping for more double latte gels - I think he is addicted. I kept up my nutrition and saw the chicken man and told him next time thru I will need the broth. We trudged thru the park and saw Gary and Rebecca again - we had passsed and been passed by them multiple times. It even became a joke to Becky - that no matter what the carrot was always in front of her.

Dan and I finished up the park with the inspirational mile. My message was "It's not that easy man!" My wife and son tried to put in a message, but as I was told later that was not their's - it was to be a surprise for me cause Will wanted it to say Go Go Daddy, Go Faster!". I was a little bummed that I did not get his message. I was thinking about my wife and boys several times. I did it on runs for training and the mind drifted again here. I M so proud of my family and really love them. I wrote a J on my heart for Jeanne and W and L on my wrists for my boys. Just to remember the sacrifice they made for me to do this.

As the first lap was winding down, I saw Frank Farrar aaround Camp Randall. He was trudging along and I encourage him that he was looking strong- I got the great thumbs up. At this point I had seen most donkeys. Rob first, Joe and Peter later. Then I wondered where Phil and Craig were. I had started to think - did Craig make the bike? did Phil make the swim? I hoped they did. then I saw Craig's family and they said he had just gone by recently. Whewww!! That just leaves Phil.

So I finished the first lap, 13.1 miles in about 2:36. Not bad since the other HIM times were 2:27 and 2:25. AND I have another 13.1 to go. Dan stopped to change his shoes so he went ahead a bit. I went into that finisher's chute and it was AWESOME, but I did have to go around again. Everyone was there- Jeanne, Will, my mom, Sandi Travis, Josh. They were cheering hard and it was great to know I should see them in under 3 hours. I checked my time and was astounded. I could make the sub 14 hour goal if noithg goes wrong. IF!

So i hit the needs bag and grabbed bug spray and my Torch. It was the third on the day, albeit a Long Day. This may have been a mistake. My stomach never really felt right for the next few miles. So I wandered from the plan. I started to drink the same, but probably not enuff because I started to incorporate bananas, pretzels, mmmmm m cookies, and kept up the gels. Dan and I kept going and I realized I had not peed since the start of the run and did not have any feeling of necessity. And it had been three hours. And now the stomach as we hitmile 16 was starting to flare a bit. I stopped all gels and solids. Life became dependent upon water at every station and a little gatorade at every third. I also started sucking up the Broth, the first cup was COLD, blech! But my quick switch di help settle the stomach by mile 20 and kept me moving, just a bit slower.

I went thru Camp Randall again nice a slow ( mile 16ish) and saw Joe and Peter before I entered. EEEAAAAWWWW to them- they were rockin' Great Job guys. Still no Phil or Craig. So after the slow crawl thru Camp R , I came out and there was Lara - Joe's wife and her brother. Agagin, another great boost to see friendly faces. Dan and I kept it up thru to Observatory Hill. We saw the Tri WI tent wher fellow dentist Bridget was up there. Someone else was me ther, but I was in such a haze the first time around I forgot who it was. At this point Dan saw someone he knew and felt good and did not want to stop running. And our 13 mile loop ended where it began. but alos here is where more run memories resume.

It was starting to get dark. I hit State again and enjoyed the jog down party central! Lots o beer and brats and burgers, Now I M hungry, but did not want to try solids til done. But a miracle happened - I HAD TO PEE. Got to the final stop it was vacant and I filled the can. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Off again. Hit the lake front area by the park and talked to a few volunteers on the way, it was really getting dark now. I had picked up 2 glow sticks for the visor and ran thru the woods under the glowing lights.

The winds knocked out the bugs and this made it nice to run and I never really overheated. As I was coming out of the woods to the final five miles or so, I was cuaght three people around the 5' marker. It must have been funny watching a 6'8 guy running right behind someone so short. I would passs them and then go into a power walk and keep going past them. One kept saying it was not fair, having such long legs. I did offer to swap my 2 torn ACL's for her goods knees. we kept talking a bit and laughing. She did catch me 3 times - I had to stop pull out half the woods and a few stones from my shoes.

As I hit the turn around point in the park it was dark. But pleasant out. I really enjoyed the next few miles running back to the Camp Randall. I took in a great view thru the trees over the Lake at the Capitol all lit up. I could see home and again was charged to get going home. I planned out the next few miles to just keep a good pace and then go faster or slower as needed by feel and for a good finish line picture - It is about the memories you know.

So under 3 to go from Camp Randall- I saw PHIL and then CRAIG - They live and they will finish! I even saw Frank Farrar agagin. He was still moving. EEEEEEAAAAW to all. After averaging just under 13:00 m/m for the last 6 miles, I stepped it up to 11:30 for the last 2 miles. I was charged to get to the Line and hear "You are an Ironman" I did stop at one point in the port a pot and called Jeanne to tellher I was 25 mins out. Then I saw my sister Whitey for the second time. I saw her a mile into the run and told her it would be about 5.5 hrs til the finish and then I saw her with over a mile to go. She cheered me on and said everyone was waiting. It was great seeing familiar faces everywhere, it really made this a better day, this is why I M volunteering and touring about next year.

so I hit those final few miles moving along. I remember taking the left towrd the capitol from Camp Randall, running the stretch to a another left and pulling ahead of people and catching some ahead of me. (This is where i saw Whitney). I Into the final turns around the Capitoal were awesome, hit the aid station for water and make sure I was ready. Then the right turn and there was the strat of the final chute. Someone yelled - "There's a Donkey!" I got charged and ran faster to the turn with the carrot held high . . . . .

That's what eh final block was like - a big blank with very fuzzy memories. i planned on walking the entire chute but adrenaline kicked in. I remember my mom's curly blonde hair and her taking a picture . . blank . . can't find Jeanne or Will . . . then I turn and BAM- Will ran out to get me and I just leveled him to a big deep inhale from the crowd. I knew it was him by the bright orange donkey shirt. I had to stop - which helped me gain a few memories - and pick up his crocs which I knocked him clear out of. I got a look from a race person and apologized profusely. Then there was Jeanne and I was shocked cause we were only to have 1 person, now I have 2 - but no one said anything. Will took the carrot and ran it for about 50 feet and handed it to Jeanne. We crossed the line! IRONMAN WISCONSIN 2007 Finisher!!!!!!!

Nothing really, I could have pushed a bit more but since the stomach flared up and could not do solids, i think this was good. I remember alot, when I was running solo, but still was nice to have a cohort for part to make it go by smoother.

If I ever thought about doing this again, Maybe I will train a bit more for running than just once a week with occasional 2nd run being 3-7 miles. But this is what my knees and time allowed. So overall Good for me!

Oh yeah - the finish chute would be different
Post race
Warm down:

AS always aftera long day or short faster run to end it, I need to walk. So I went right past the timing chip guy and walked a bit. I had Jeanne and Will with me, my mom and Sandi were at the end of the finishers chute area and Travis was gathering my goods and then got my timing chip off. It was great to have such family support. We talked and took photos. i saw Peter and congratulated him. He just had a great day like the rest of us.

I settled down pretty quickly in comparison to some sprints and Oly's, I could breathe and felt good. We wandered over to the Med tent for ice, they were out of bags for the ice, so I got 2 med gloves with ice and put them under the knee brace/strap. It felt good, except they made me sit down and getting up was hard. I did get a chance to weigh in. I was 215lbs, exactly what I was on Friday. Awesome, especially since I did not urinate much and thought I would be low or high. The nutrition plan worked.

Then to the FOOD. I got 4 slices of pizza, 2 subs, 4 cups of cookies, and 2 water bottles. I just devoured them. They did not stand a chance. Since I did not eat all day and not even a Gu for the last hour plus, I needed substance. Now that the hunger was satisfied, we has to hustle and get stuff and drive back to Muskego and pick up Luke.

WE got the bags from the rooms and I sat on the floor to recoup a bit, Jeanne walked on my back to substitute for the hour long wait on the massage. Will and I sorted thru a few things, grabbed the bags, then the bike and off to the car. I heard them announce Craig from Wind Lake, YOU ARE AN Ironman! It was about 10:45. Iwish I could have hung around to see everyone, but family resposibility first.

We went to Ollie's - I showered and grabbed everything that was left. Off to home. My wife was tired too, so I stayed awake in the passenger seat to keep her company, but by Oconomowoc, se could not keep her eyes open, and we switched drivers. I drove to Sandi's house in West Allis and then to Muskego for Luke. By the time we got home it was after 1 am and I did pull out some gear and the cooler. Jeanne, Will and luke wre out cold and at 2am I was in bed (22hours after the day started I finished)

Monday came, and time to return to Madison for the finale, I could have just slept in and relaxed, but I wanted the full experience. So I drove back to Madison again. The difference today was it was 50ish and rainy - think of the difference a day makes. I M so happy we raced in perfect conditions, but I was ready for anything.

I parked on the street and paid 25cents now and 25dollars later for the ticket I got - my little donation to the City of Madison. But well worth it to be 2 blocks away. I rolled thru the Terrace and bumped into JTopin. Jeremy and I toured around. Picked up our pictures and went into the shop - which had a huge line. We bypassed it for now and ended up in line for the banquet. We sat there for a while yapping. Craig caught up with us and we just threw out ideas and thoughts about yesterdya. It was fun hanging out here. I do not think I could have sat home today and really accepted it to be over.

We finally got into the banquet hall and got a primo spot. We could see the screen clearly and close to food. We set up shop and saved some seats. Phil, Craig, Jeremy, Jeff Metzger, Pete and Lori all made it for the finale. EEEEEEAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Pete brought Zima for breakfast. It was a slow consumption, and a bit twisted into Zimosas.

Breakfast was good - eggs, french toast, sausage, potatoes, mmnmm mmmmm good. After one full plate I grabbed a full 2nd. I was starving. The final presentaion was awesome. Truly thankful I drove back. I was stiff from the race and the long drives, but still mobile. It was fun to watch the AG's and pro's get their awards. It was especially fun when Maik Tweslik gave his speech and described those f'n hills. The crowd and Mike reilly were rolling.

I caught most of it on Video, which in the end totals almost 2hours - pre race to final comments. It is hard to think it is over. What to do now? No more planned long training days or rides. Thank goodness I planned a Sprint in 6 days. That will let me get it all out - FAST!!!

Afterwards, we got our janus video and all said good bye. I shopped for some finisher gear. And off to home. It was a long weekend with great friends and memories. But it has ended. It was quite the journey. I M very satisfied. I accomplished this goal and was still standing in the end to enjoy it.

I told myself I will only do this once, this was the one. I never wanted to worry about 26.2 miles running in the end again. But strange how I found myself smiling thru it all. And now 9 days later I am finishing this RR and looking ahead. I was asked Sun, Mon and Tues after the IMWI if I would ever do it again. "NO" was the answer, since then, I thought maybe. Now I M trying to reason with myself on how soon it could happen. I am thinking 2012, but who knows, I M going to 2008 IMFL 70.3 and they do have slots!

more to come (as of 9/17/07 8 am)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I was in a perfect world, I would have trained a bit more and threw in a few more long days, but I have to work, like most, I have children and a wife I want to see at some point, and I need to eat and sleep too. I could have had a more intense training plan, but I did what I could.

I M not a runner. If I could actually run quicker and maintain it, I could have sliced some time off. But since my knees typically do not enjoy this pounding, it limits me. So just finishing the marathon is relief and joy, finishing the whole, is a dream come true.

Event comments:

I did it, I was an Ironman. And what a journey. I started with watching the IMWI TV production and thinking I can do this, I just have to get in. Then I registered for IMCA70.3 and trained thru the winter. Found out we were expecting our second child. Trained more, real early in the cold weather. Started and finished teh IMCA70.3 and earned a slot for this race. Kept training and stretching my endurance. Our son Luke was then born July 4th and training mornings included 3am feedings for a warmup.

And today came. It was warned that this would be the fastest day of our lives by birkierunner (Jim) He was right. It flew. I cannot believe it is over. I am still finishing this report a week later and it feels like that day is long ago, but the day was a blink. That is why I try to take it in and not hammer thru. I wanted to remember as much as possible. It is a great achievement and event.

I started the journey last year with a video, thinking I would only do this once, and never again. I thought this would be the hardest day of my life. I was not far off it was very difficult, but I managed it and in the end. I finished and can say that was fun. Now it drifts in my mind, if I do it again, when will that be. Not 2008, probably not 2009 (but I will volunteer for both). I M thinking about 2012 - the day would be 9-9-12 - I could make it a pattern to IM on 9-9's. But we shall see.

Race Stats
CHRISTIAN BAUER
BIB AGE STATE/COUNTRY PROFESSION
83 33 NEW BERLIN WI USA DENTIST

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL RANK DIV.POS.
1:17:00 6:38:41 5:20:16 13:45:19 1467 of 2209 205 of 266

LEG DISTANCE PACE RANK DIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM 2.4 mi. (1:17:00) 2:01/100m 1057 149

TOTAL BIKE 112 mi. (6:38:41) 16.86 mph 1229 177

FIRST RUN SEGMENT 13.1 mi. (2:35:49) 11:53/mile
RUN FINISH 13.1 mi. (2:44:27) 12:33/mile
TOTAL RUN 26.2 mi. (5:20:16) 12:13/mile 1467 205

TRANSITION TIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 12:28
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 16:54

Last updated: 2007-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 149/266
Overall: 1057/2207
Performance: Good
Suit: blue Seventy
Course: Rectangle - with 2 loops!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 12:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
06:38:41 | 112 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 177/266
Overall: 1230/2207
102 -138 avg - 240 max 5700 feet of climb - less than what I expected - but still plenty and Loads OF FUN!!!!!
Wind: Some
Course: 13 mile out to Verona for two 43 mile loops Great course - lots of rollers big and small,nice climbs and plenty of support then back home for 13miles
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 16:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:20:17 | 26.2 miles | 12m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 198/266
Overall: 1533/2207
Course: "Out and Back" with added in extensions. Relatively flat, except OBSERVATORY!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 8:55 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2007-09-10 9:07 PM
in reply to: #959225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
I know you havent finished the report yet, but congrats on becoming an ironman. Looking forward to the RR.
2007-09-10 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

rest? you don't need no stinkin rest! 

WAY TO GO! (now I'll get a reminder to check back when you finish...)

2007-09-10 11:16 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Way to go IRONMAN!!
2007-09-10 11:46 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Dang, you nailed the swim, T1 and Bike prediction and blew away the run.  Way to go, looking forward to the details later.
2007-09-13 11:10 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Dude, you going to finish this??

I can't believe how GREAT a run you had, considering the training day we did!  What an awesome run you had!!

You are such a cool guy and I have been lucky to know you and have met your family! 

I'm hoping to see you at Devil's Lake.  eeeaaaawwww, mofo!

BTW -

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

2007-09-13 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Loved the bike portion... crowds, crashes, cheers... keep it comin'! IRONMAN!!!
2007-09-14 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

No wonder you're time was so good.

You ended the race early while the rest of ran an f-ing marathon!

Nice job!!!!

2007-09-16 8:47 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Getting there- just some post race notes and quick scan over to go- thanks for your patience
2007-09-16 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Dang, you could put some chapter numbers in there and sell it as a novel. And you know what? I'd read it all again. Good stuff, man. Great race and report. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and memories! Congratulations, Ironman!
2007-09-16 9:54 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Dood!  You called your wife from on course??? Hard core Donkey!!!

2007-09-17 8:52 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Excellent report, my friend.  You looked really good at there by the time I finally saw you.  I can't believe you had an electronic communication device with you, didn't get monitored and then (gasp) DQ'ed!  All I know is that I'm wondering how Jeanne felt getting a call from the port-a-potty??  Luckily there wasn't any flushing noises (you can't, duh).

That will be a great father/son conversation as you and Will are older:
Will:  Dad, Dad!
Chris: Where's my family?  Where's Jeanne? Where's Will?
SMACK! (shoes are sent flying and child is sprawling to the blacktop)
(crowd reaction - LOUD inhale gasp.)
Chris: (emphatically and apologetically saying) I'm sorry!!
Will: That's okay, Dad!  Where's the carrot? (dashes off to the finish)
(crowd cheers in an uproar!)

Peace.

2007-09-17 9:33 AM
in reply to: #967098

User image

Master
piece o heaven
PeterAK - 2007-09-16 9:54 PM

Dood!  You called your wife from on course??? Hard core Donkey!!!

She did not want to miss this one. She missed IMCA70.3 by 30 mins. She felt horrible, so I wanted to make sure she was there

and it fit really well into my hidden running shorts pocket
2007-09-19 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Holy cow, what a report!!!  Great detail - I cracked up at your clawing rat analogy for the swim turn.  Great meeting you too.  The day did go quickly didn't it?  Congratulations IRONMAN.  I'll be looking for you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed