United States
Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 5s
Overall Rank = 22/535
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/42
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6:30 and ate some breakfast. Got my gear together since I didn't do it the night before. My scheduled start time was 10:35 so Scott wasn't picking me up until 8:45. That was nice not to have to get up really early.
Event warmup:

Before Scott picked me up I ran 2 miles and stretched out my achilles since they are still really sore and then rode a couple of miles to shift through the gears.
Swim
  • 10m 31s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a terrible swim for me. I started 4th out of 5 in my lane and never really got into a groove. It's too crowded or something and I never do well in these pool swims. I got lapped by everyone in my lane at least once and I had to stop a few times at the end so they could pass me. A couple of these guys should have been in the 7:30-8:00 min. group and they got me all flustered when they kept tapping my feet and swimming by me. I was getting passed on the right and the left by these dick heads. I swam a 500 last week in 9:07 so I know I'm faster than this. This was even slower than last year! Last year I had a combined swim/T1 of 12:00 and this year my combined swim/T1 was 12:33 and I am a much improved swimmer over last year. (I say "dick heads" but they were all really nice guys I'm just frustrated with my lack of ability)

What would you do differently?:

Open water swim or get a lane to myself.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

This included the run up to T1. I felt like it was pretty fast and it was the 3rd fastest in my AG so I can't complain.

Nothing
Bike
  • 34m 28s
  • 13 miles
  • 22.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike. It ended up being 18 seconds faster than last year so it's an improvement. I came up on this guy with an M-Dot tatoo on his calf and played cat and mouse with him for awile and finally put the hammer down on him. I also passed every one of those dick heads that kicked my ass in the pool. I caught the last guy at about mile 12 and it was very rewarding since he was the one that swam a 7:30 in my lane and lapped me twice. I saw Zev out on the bike and said hello too.

Nothing really.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

This was a good transition. It was the 3rd fastest in my AG.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

The first half mile or so my legs felt a little heavy but I kept trying to speed up my leg turnover and I finally got a good pace going. After I hit the turnaround I saw the swim dick head again and there was no way he was going to catch up to me. There was a guy in my AG that I passed towards the end of the bike that caught back up to me and passed me. I stayed on his heels for as long as I could but he got me going up this little hill. All of sudden he had 10 yards on me and his lead eventually got to about 30 yards. I think he is the guy that got 4th in my AG.

Maybe push a little harder to keep up with that guy. I should have surged up that little hill to stay on his heels and followed him in to the finish!
Post race
Warm down:

Just drank was water and hung out and talked to everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't swim well at all! Overall it was a good race for me though and it was about 46 seconds faster than last year. I improved on everything but the swim.

Event comments:

The swim start times were way off again by about 30 minutes this year and I hate the way they do the pool swim. Other than that it is a fun race.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:31 | 500 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/42
Overall: 0/535
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim with 5 to a lane.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:28 | 13 miles | 22.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/42
Wind: Some
Course: A little hilly and around the first 3 miles are on a bike path.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:18 | 03 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/42
Course: Mostly flat and fast
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Subject: Fall Frenzy Triathlon

2007-09-10 11:05 PM
in reply to: #959350

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Great race, very nice bike and run time.

If you don't mind waiting till the last wave, you can usually get a lane to yourself.
I've done this on the past three fall frenzy races.
2007-09-11 12:18 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to catch all the folks from your lane! 
2007-09-11 12:39 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Great race Kenny! It's nice to see a fast friend on the course, even if he is running away from me!! MOTIVATION for next time!

You looked strong on the bike, and on the run. I'm glad you smoked those idiots you swam with. I have the same feeling about the pool race.
2007-09-11 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Solid race man! Great job. That pool swim is a challenge I totally agree, so different from the 'freedom' of the open water. Great bike leg. Next time I ask Zev to introduce us.
2007-09-13 9:32 PM

User image

Ken - You were flying on the bike and the run. Congrats on catching the swim dick heads!   

2007-09-17 10:21 PM

User image

Centennial
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the attaboys on my race report - had a chance to look at yours - great race.

You're right - we were nearly identical in the bike and run. That said - you totally kicked me in the transitions. I need to take lessons there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Triathlon Rss Feed