United States
Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 6s
Overall Rank = 464/535
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/44
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast: Banana, 2 mini-chocolate doughnuts (that's what the kids had for breakfast and I just had to partake), vanilla frappuccino (gotta have my coffee). At ther ace they had better food, so I had 1/2 orange, 1/2 banana a few grapes and 1/2 asiago cheese bagel (yummy!)
Event warmup:

Pretty much the only warm up I did was runnign around getting Mom stuff for her race (had to jog back to the transition area to get an inhaler for her) and then I did do some swimming warms ups right before we started our race. That seemed to help with the water temp shock and get an idea of the water taste (oddly enough I'm highly impacted by the taste of the water on teh swim).
Swim
  • 10m 6s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really excited about this swim. The open water from the tri-for the cure was tough and too long. This short of distance, in a clean pool was WAY better. Did the flip turns for the first half then I couldn't breathe and the guys were catching up to me so I had to let them pass. Ate 1/2 bag of orange flavor energy jelly beans. Consistancy was good, but maybe try a different flavor.
What would you do differently?:

I'd like to practice my breathing a little better. Make it not so rushed and hopefully train my lungs to behave better.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

Had the shoes at the door of the pool and put the socks and shoes on there, then jogged to the transition area. Had to blow my nose (stupid head cold) but I had put out Kleenex earlier (hey I was thinking!) Helmet was too tight with the double braids I did, had to adjust that. The bumpy ground made it harder to jog with the bike out of the grassy transition area, we were racked on the same isle as the bike in/out, but we were at the other end.

Try on the helmet the morning of the race to make sure it's a good fit.
Bike
  • 59m 9s
  • 13 miles
  • 13.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Slower pace then I had on the tri-for the cure, I chalk that up to the hils, they were BRUTAL! Was passed by a 45 year old man on a mtn bike, that hurt. Also passed by a 12 year old on a road bike. Was not offended by the 50+ year old man on the tri-bike with the areodynamic helemt that passed me :) The bike computer is the only thing that saved me from sucking worse. 1 full mph slower than that tri-for the cure. Didn't drink both water bottles on this bike ride (may contribute to lack of pukey feeling at the end of the race), had 1 pack of vanilla flavored energy goo, much easier to tolerate then the soy joy bar I ate for the last race.

Get a road bike and train more for the bike, this was a tough bike course! Oh I'd ride it once before the race. I haven't been on my bike since the tri-for the cure, just stationaries. More training is definately in order! Still need toe baskets for the regular pedals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Helmet off, hat on good. Talking to Mom, bad LOL Could have been a bit faster on the run in, but the grass was bumpy. Jogged out to the run start, felt good.

I need a visor, too much adjusting of the hat. Should have taken off the bike jersey, but my inhaler was in the jersey from the bike and it did cover unsightly items not covered well enough by the race number :)
Run
  • 33m 43s
  • 3.35 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran more of this one than the tri-for the cure, but did not sprint the end (perhaps adding to the better feeling at the end of the race). Gatoraid was also available on the run, and that seemed to really help. mental note, add gatoraid to running water bottle. Also, had hand-held water bottle with strap to run with and used water from stations to cool down. No goo or food for the run, maybe a good thing to stick with the liquids on the run.

Run more, seemed to have way too much energy after the race. Would have ditched the bike jersey, made me a little too warm even though it was somewhat cool.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around waiting for the bike drawing. Should probably have streched. Walked to the transition area to change shoes/clothes and put all my stuff in my car (I was parked right outside the t-area).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Next time don't lax between races, keep up intensity. Missed the massage at the end, should get in an earlier heat next time.

Event comments:

The swim and the run were perfect, loved both courses and felt challenged. The bike course was VERY hard for me and my inabilites. It was decently run, lots of good food and nice volunteers and they didn't run out of water like the tri-for the cure did.

Last updated: 2007-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:06 | 500 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/44
Overall: 0/535
Performance: Good
Actual swim time was 0:09:11, but due to small run to timer matt, shows 10:06. Plus I think I walked it to catch my breath hehehehe
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Parker rec center pool, 4 other guys in my lane all lapped me once. Kept me in pace.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:09 | 13 miles | 13.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/44
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: HILLY! Parker rec center, down cherry creek trail, UP along E-470 (long hill) down and back behind American furniture, out to Peoria, Liberty over (the jet flying over me while riding was a bit intimidating) and then back (the ride back up the "long hill down" SUCKED).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:43 | 03.35 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/44
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-11 2:20 PM

User image

Parker, CO
Subject: Fall Frenzy Triathlon

2007-09-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: #960338

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Good job.  Looks like you had a good race.  Gotta watch taking in too many liquids in such a short race.  Again, way to go...
2007-09-11 3:45 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I like the doughnuts before the race as well.  I know they're hard to resist!  A road bike will help your bike, alot!  Sounds like you had fun out there.  Nice job!
2007-09-11 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Great job every race under you belt is another notch of pride!!
2007-09-12 11:54 AM

User image

Colorado, USA
Great report. I'm looking for a bike as well.

M
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Triathlon Rss Feed