Trekman Racing
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M-25-30
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

we had an expo! very exciting to see vendors and a pasta dinner! you don't get that kind of red carpet unless you hit up a marathon or a bigger tri (especially in iowa).
got a free metabolic test (my zones were only two beats off from when i tested them myself).
ate some pasta, when home and got stuff ready. hit the sack.

woke up and had some oatmeal. dawned the cape and tights, dropped off the little one and headed to the race. rach surprised me by wearing her supergirl shirt. i asked if she wanted a cape too....she said no.
Event warmup:

there was a half mile walk to the start line from the registration tent, so that was warm-up. saw a few friends and talked with them. tried to catch people looking at the costume. i think i was the only one running with one, if you don't count rach and the guy wearing the usa flag shorts (america pants is what we called him!)

hey, it's frank, from april fools 5k! ick. i guessed he'd be there, but since this one was for fun, i'd let him have the victory. the third thing he said to me was "i haven't been running at all! no training whatsoever!" super, that should be great fun.

waited by the start for the gun to go...and we're off!
Run
  • 1h 42m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

and we are off! and frank wants to stay with me, joy. but it did pass the time. and frank is not that annoying, as long as you can talk to him about something other than racing. it's not always about the win frank.

the plan was to keep a nice zone 2 pace. but as i was going, i figured i would let it go a little bit as long as it felt good and it wasn't too outragous. started towards the back with my wife so i was passing a few people. a couple comments about the outfit, i need to practice my snappy comments.

the volunteers were excellent! they didn't put their fingers in the water and there was plenty to go around. there was a drum core about mile 3. they stopped playing each time i passed. had to yell at them.

talked with a girl running with a chemistry shirt on (go chemists!)

getting close to the turn around the elites were making their way back. they looked in pain. didn't look like much fun.

the race really got fun when we hit the turn around and we started high fiving the runners on the way back. they seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot more.

a woman was trying to take my picture. i stopped to get her camera, handed it to someone close and took a picture with her. anything for my fans ;)

frank started huffing mile 9. he said go on, and i did. laters.

one aid station had a guy in a purple superhero costume for a local gym. i gave him a big high five and made sure i found him after the race.

the last mile i was passing a few people who let it out a little early. trying to encourage them to finish strong.

they have a timing mat just before the finish that brings your name to the announcer. you could send in a little blurb if you wanted. i let him use his imagination.

"and here comes your favorite superhero. is it a bird? is it a plane? no! it's superman!"

crossed the line and did my best superman flight pose.
What would you do differently?:

i'm not going to dignify that with a response.
Post race
Warm down:

waited at the finish with some friends for rach. her announcement was going to be that she was prego. but there were too many finishing at the same time and it didn't get read. suck.

beer bbq and begals were the post race food. good times. got some pictures and saw my old swimming buddy turned triathlon rock star tj toallkson (3rd overall at IMKY!). his girlfriend tore up the woman's field and he came to watch. wished him the best at kona and snapped a picture.

photos posted in album!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cape slowed me down a bit, but the tights felt nice. um, nice in a manly way, yeah, manly.

Event comments:

this is a great race for anyone in the area! i highly recommend it! very first time friendly (walkers can start 1 hour early) as well as getting some good elite competition!

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:58 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: the course is mostly flat following the bike trail leading from george wyth park-tourist park-island park-black hawk park and back. a few hills going over bridges. trees provide excellent shade and makes for a very enjoyable run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-11 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Park 2 Park Half Marathon

2007-09-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: #960362

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: RE: Park 2 Park Half Marathon
awesome time, and a great costume. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
2007-09-12 10:00 PM
in reply to: #960362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: RE: Park 2 Park Half Marathon
i seriously think as superman you could have gone a bit faster ...  cape slowed you down huh... sheessh..  its not easy being you...  NICE RACE !!  sounds like you had a fun time..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Park 2 Park Half Marathon Rss Feed