United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 27s
Overall Rank = 563/1249
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 72/122
Pre-race routine:

Only got about 3 hrs of sleep. I was anxious and could not stay asleep. Woke up at 4:30, ate some oatmeal and drank some water. I stayed at my parents house on Kent Island so it was only about a 15 minute ride to the race. We left the house at about 5:10. By the time we got a parking spot it was about 5:45. I set up T2 fairly quickly and headed for the bus to the city dock. By the time I got to the dock there was about 40 minutes until the start of my wave (7:05). Port-a-pottys were pact so there was no time to use them before my wave started. I had hoped to eat a little more before the race however my stomach did not want anything else so I just kept drinking
Event warmup:

No warm up. Johnny and I got in the water with about 5 minutes to go. Water temp was comfortable.
Swim
  • 32m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really surprised to see how slow my split was. I was way below my average 100m pace. I felt pretty good and stuck close to every buoy. No wide turns. The only thing I can think that may have slowed me down was on the final stretch. I could not see exactly where the exit was so I headed towards the yellow buoy on the left. The exit was on the right. When I realized I was swimming alone I saw that everyone else was cutting straight from the final turn to the exit on the right. I had to adjust and start swimming to the right. It increased the distance that I had to swim however I can't believe that it added that much extra time. I am baffled by the whole thing.
What would you do differently?:

Improve swim fitness and take some extra time before the race to get familiar with the course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Time was slow due to us having to pack all of our gear in a trash bag given to us at registration. The bag was transported to the stadium for pick up after the race. Also I turned up the wrong isle for my bike so I had to duck under two racks to get to my bike. Everything else went smoothly.

Remember which rack my bike is on.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I was looking forward to the bike. I have been biking much more leading up to this race than I had leading up to my two other races. My AG rank in previous races showed that the bike was my weakest discipline. I pushed hard in this race but not so much that I would blow up on the run. Based on the speeds I was seeing on my computer while on the course I was expecting to see a faster split than I actually had. The good news is that it is a PR bike split. I only expect to get stronger as I am enjoying riding much more these days. Also, I plan on up grading to a tri bike soon. The biggest negative on the bike was related to my nutrition. My goal was to take a gel early and then one about an hour later just before T2. I felt there was no way my stomach could handle the 2nd gel so I skipped it. I wish I would have sucked it up and forced it down. Also, I dropped a bottle with my drink mix in it at about mile 20. It wasn't the end of the world but I would have liked to have drank a little more before heading out on the run.

Stick to the nutrition plan. It will benefit me in the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

My time was slow b/c I decided to wear socks. I got orthotics this summer and they still are not comfortable with out socks. I decided it was worth spending extra time in T2 to avoid any blisters on the run.

Find a solution to my orthotics being uncomortable
Run
  • 56m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This run kicked my butt. Running is usally my strongest disciplin (if I were to have a stength) however today was tough. I think lack of extra nutrition before the race and on the bike along with the sleep deprivation took it's toll on my body. I was so hot and could not get cool. I walked through a few aid stations just to get as much water or gatorade as I could. I dumped several cups of water over my head and on the back of my neck. At times I would dump a cup of ice in my jersey and that seemed to help but it melted very quickly. Though my split was slow I expected much worse.

Stick to my nutrition plan on the bike and run more in my training. Running used to be my favorite thing to do but since I got my orthotics it has not been as fun. I finally got a pair of shoes that seem to fit me well with the orthotics. Hopefully I will find my passion for running again.
Post race
Warm down:

I got some water just over the finish line and found my family. I felt pretty bad and just wanted to find some shade and food. Thankfully they were in the same place. I ate some watermelon and a granola bar and drank some gatorade. This hit the spot and I was feeling better within 15 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, nutrition, not enough sleep. I need to figure out a way to relax the night before a race. I always have trouble falling asleep but this was the worst. I went to bed at 10pm however did not fall asleep until about 11:30pm. I woke up at about 1:30 and could not get back to sleep. I tried everything. Finally, I dosed of at around 3:30ish only to have the alarm go off at 4:30am.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I know it was tough to put on a race in such a congested area. I have never seen so many volunteers at a race. It was truly amazing how many people were there to help out. My only complaint about the race was the multiple tranition areas. I thought it caused extra stress on race morning. I know what to expect in the furture so maybe it will not be so bad. Also, there needed to be more bathrooms at the city dock. Besides that great race, great venue and great people volunteering.

Last updated: 2007-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/122
Overall: 545/1249
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Course was a wide rectangle. It was cool how there were a bunch of boats anchored in between the buoys. Thankfully there were no sea nettles.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:37 | 24.85 miles | 21.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 73/122
Overall: 464/1249
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Not as hilly as I expected. I thought it was a pretty fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:03 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/122
Overall: 486/1249
Performance: Bad
Course: Started out around the stadium then there was an out and back on Rowe Blvd. followed by an out and back on the old Severn River Bridge. This course was not nearly as hill as I expected. There were a few hills (especially the bridge) but nothing as bad as I expected.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes