Ironman North America
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 51m 7s
Overall Rank = 548/2209
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 83/266
Pre-race routine:

***This is kinda long. But, it's an IRONMAN race report, and it deserves the press!***

It all started back in September 2006 when I went to watch a friend race... But, I really started training in January, so here is the year to date work that got me to the start line:

Bike: 133h 32m 29s - 2376.37 Mi
Run: 72h 26m 42s - 456.77 Mi
Swim: 49h 22m 39s - 145533.8 Yd
Strength: 2h 15m
Aqua Jogging: 05m
Bike Trainer: 12h 29m
Cheerleading: 07m
Core Training: 2h 05m
Kickball: 40m
Massage: 1h 00m
Mental Training: 03s
Plyometrics: 55m
Skiing: 4h 00m
Snow Shoveling: 30m
Snowboarding: 12h 00m
Spinning Class: 5h 55m
Stretching: 15m
Transitions: 1h 00m
Treading Water: 10m
Walking: 1h 20m
Yard Work: 1h 00m

4 a.m. alarm started the day! Slam an Ensure before even getting out of bed. Put in contacts and went to the hotel lobby for a cup of coffee. The day started great when my body actually accepted a bagel with peanut butter. Took a poop. Got my stuff together and started sipping a bottle of Perpetuem once I was done with coffee. Loaded the special needs bags in the car and headed the 2.5 miles to the Alliant center, ate a banana in the car, parked and took the bus in to Monona terrace.

Found the drop off spot for the special needs bags and ran into Atl Runner. Pit stop for poop #2 on the way to get body marked. Spotted Jszat and Pseudoyams by body marking and exchanged some Eeaaaaws. Got body marked by Trixie and ReggieMom with an extra Eeeawwww written on my calf. Fit took a pic of the hot body marking action!

Headed in to the bike corral to put my bottles on and stock the bento box. Aired up the tires and helped Lori do the same. Then headed inside to stand in a loooong line for poop #3. By the time I got out of the bathroom it was almost 6:30. Put the wet suit on and headed down the helix toward the water. Dropped off the dry clothes bag and waited in the corral to get in the water.

It really does take a long time to get 2209 athletes through a narrow archway into the water. The dropoff into the water probably slowed things down as nobody wants to slip getting into the water for an IM.
Event warmup:

By the time I was in the water I literally had about three minutes to go time. My original plan had been to start out toward the front close to shore. Last week my coach suggested I start a bit back on the inside with the plan of swimming just inside of the buoys. The time constraint put me back to my original plan. Got to my spot just in time to take in the view of the masses of people on Monona terrace watching before the cannon went off.

And the day I became an Ironman was underway!
Swim
  • 1h 08m 52s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Awesome! The cannon went off and the swim was on! I did not want to go hard at the beginning of such a long day but I was mentally prepared for frantic action and was ready to cruise a bit if needed. While the start was busy, I didn't really get beat up. I had seeded myself about three people back and this worked really well, I didn't get pummeled from behind and didn't have so climb over anyone. The second half of the first leg I found myself alone a bit and navigated back towards the mass of bodies to do some more drafting.

It was so cool seeing the Terrace just packed with people every time I took a breath on my right side. Also noticed that I could hear watches beeping under water--presumably HRM's telling people that their heart rate was too high. Never had that experience before.

Drafting is not my strong suit, but with this many bodies, there was never an issue finding someone to grab on to. Didn't stay with anyone for more than a few minutes, but went from feet to feet for most of the swim.

The first two buoeys I was a good 10' out. So many people right on the corner that it wasn't worth getting into the physical battle. By the third corner it had thinned out enough that I was able to swim right on the corner without getting in a mess. Checked my watch at the corner starting the second lap and was excited to see 33 minutes flat. Second lap was still busy with feet available for drafting the whole time. I think I kicked someone in the head on the first stretch of the second lap... Felt bad but nothing I could have done to prevent it. I did swim a bit defensively for a few minutes after that.

Had some calf cramping on the last two legs of the swim. Tried to bring my feet up a bit and stretch them out and they went away but was a bit worried about how that would play out the rest of the day.

At the end of the swim I kept swimming until I could see the bottom and was less than ten feet from the shoreline. Stood up and reached out to the volunteers who were helping us up the steep shoreline onto flat ground. Peeled my cap and goggles off and started running!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Seriously.
Transition 1
  • 07m 56s
Comments:

Here is where I made my one mistake of the day. Out of the water, I took off my cap and goggles as I ran toward the strippers. When I got to the strippers I had pulled my zip down but hadn't taken the suit off my shoulders or arms. The strippers did this for me while I was being lowered to the ground, and when they yanked the suit off, my hand, holding the cap and goggles got stuck! They yanked again and I got my hand out, leaving the cap and goggles in the sleeve. No big deal, but it would have been better to leave them on my head and focus on getting the wet suit off my shoulders before I got to the strippers.

Got up, took the wet suit, and started running. Saw and heard Lori's (my gf) brothers and a couple of our friends screaming before I got to the helix, sofa king cool! Also saw Trixie on the ramp on the way up. I ran all the way up the helix--the energy was so strong that it seemed easy.

Running up the helix was unreal. I saw my coach--I hope I made him proud, I had poo pooed his prediction of swimming under 1:10 for me.

Got into the T1 bag room and here is where my smarts paid off. I had bought bright pink duct tape and put strips of it around my transition and special needs bags. I was able to find and grab my bag as I ran by before the volunteers could find it. So cool. Ran into the change room where I was helped by the Best. Volunteer. Ever. (other than BT'ers, of course) I did the entire race in my Tri Donkai kit, so no changing, but he handed me all the right stuff at the right time and even clipped my race belt on me while I was putting my socks on.

Helmet on, socks on, shoes on, lube the undercarriage, wipe hands, sunglasses on, and I'm out the door! Into the daylight, quick hit of sunscreen from volunteers, pee in the porta potty, and head to the bikes. Travisvb24 Eeeeawwwws at me (awesome!!!) as I run past his volunteer spot, cheers from some TriWisconsin buddies who were on the wall above the bikes, call out my number to the volunteers who bring my bike to me off the rack. Run to the mount line and hear my mom cheering for me too. Jump on the bike, clip in, and head down the helix to start my Ironman bike ride!

Wait to take off the cap and goggles until the wetsuit is off.
Bike
  • 5h 56m 59s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.82 mile/hr
Comments:

It felt so good to be on the bike. It is my favorite discipline, and I had ridden the course enough to know its ins and outs. I did have some calf discomfort, but I took two endurolytes about 15 minutes in to fend off calf cramps as best I could. Fortunately they went away and stayed away the rest of the day.

The plan was to ride easy for the first half and evaluate how I feel at the midway point. BirkieRunner passed me at about 11 miles, we chatted a bit and then he took off. Yams pulled up on me at about 38 miles, and he looked strong! We talked a bit and he took off just before we hit major hill #2 of the ride. I hit the 40 mile mark in under two hours--way faster than expected, but this is before the big daddy hills. I did not feel that I was pushing it, but I did tell myself that I should bring it down just a touch so I don't burn up. As planned, I shifted early, and shifted often. I was passed LOTS going up hills, and I passed people right back going down hills. I traded positions with one guy for the first lap a bunch of times, he would stand up to kill the hills and pass me, then I would pass him on the down hills. I left him in the dust somewhere before Verona and never saw him again.

The second loop did not seem much harder than the first. My legs felt great and my HR was staying nice and low. The crowds on the hills are awesome. They cheer, dance, yell, and encourage like nothing I have seen before. You really do get that tour de France feeling in a few spots, the crowd is uncontrolled and it feels like they are parting in front of you. Just awesome.

Coming through Verona on the second lap I saw my Mom and friends, which was a great boost.

At the end of my second lap I was so excited I felt the need to inform all the volunteers that "I'M TURNING LEFT! I'M TURNING LEFT!!!" The last hill on the way back seemed bigger than it had in training, but just like every other hill on course, I dialed up the 27 tooth, and spun on up.

At the end of the no-pass bike path section, I made the turn onto the street, and heard Lori's dad yell my name--so cool that he was there, Lori was worried that he wouldn't be able to find good spots. He was cheering by himself there, but I was happy to know he made it and knew that Lori would really appreciate that too.

I passed the 5 or so riders I had followed through the no pass zone and on ride down John Nolan drive along the lake I was all by myself. It was amazing. Two miles left in my Ironman bike ride. The lake was beautiful, and I looked at the Terrace in the bright sunlight, and was sofa king happy. So far, everything is going fantastic.

The ride up the helix was much easier than expected. I got up to the top, and a volunteer grabbed my handlebars as I stepped off the bike. I thanked them and ran into the building!

Nutrition: I sipped a bit of Perpetuem right at the beginning as I was thirsty, and after 15 minutes started my plan of a large drink every 15 minutes to finish at least a bottle an hour. Endurolytes taken every 20-30 minutes. Total: 7 bottles of Perp, 4 fig newtons, one 80 calorie pack of gummy sharks, 3x banana halves, most of an Uncrustable at mile 80. I was dry for the last 5 miles, which was less than ideal, but not an issue.

I really love my Trek Equinox 9. It's the '06 model, so not as fancy as the current generation, but this bike kicks azz.

Nada. Nothing. It was fantastic.
Transition 2
  • 08m 12s
Comments:

Ran into the building and heard who I now know was DeannaS cheering me on in the hallway on the way into the transition area. I took my time here a bit. I had put running shorts in my T2 bag just in case I wanted to change, but I was comfy so I applied a little more lube in one area that I felt some rubbing and kept the tri kit going.

Changed socks and put vaseline on a couple spots of my feet where I have had blisters over the course of the summer. Put on the running hat, grabbed the gel flask and endurolytes, and left my stuff for a volunteer to pack. Grabbed a cup of water and took an endurolyte walking out of the changing area. I didn't notice that my gel flask had fallen out of my pocked on the way down the hallway. To the volunteer who yelled at me, I LOVE YOU!!!!! I would have been screwed without that. Outside was so excited to see MaggyRuth who gave me another dose of sunscreen.

Hit the porta potty for a little quality time. I had only peed once on the bike, and it wasn't much, but I knew I had a little somethin' brewing for the porta potty. Took my time and got off a little poop here. Ahhh, much better.

Could have gone faster, but I think taking my time here paid off as I was mentally ready for the run.
Run
  • 4h 29m 10s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I passed over the timing mat and started running. I was absolutely shocked to find that I felt GOOD! I did math. It was hard. But I realized I had a real shot at breaking 12 hours. I cannot explain to you how excited this made me--my goal was 14, my stretch goal was 13. Here I was starting my run with a chance at 12.

It was awesome running around the capital with so many fans right there. That first trip down State Street was surreal. I was starting my Ironman run, and it was my first marathon no less! As with the bike, the plan here was to go easy on the first lap, and kick in the last six miles with all I had left. Walk early, as in before I need to. I ran until I was off the main drag and then walked a block or so. This would set the tone for the whole run--walk run reapeat. I didn't walk far each time, at most a block, and did this probably twice each mile. Fortunately I have long legs so I can move pretty well when I'm walking!

The first lap flew by. I saw Birkie a few miles in and he was still looking strong at this point. The big hill on the far part of the course was the home base for the Tri Wisconsin fan crew, which was awesome, I walked up the hill with one of the guys who I trained with in Tahoe who did Louisville a few weeks ago, great to have company and someone telling me I looked great. He also told me Lori was looking good when he saw her on the bike, which was good to know. The second state street stretch was cool, they were announcing people as they came through and it was awesome to hear my name. I also saw none other than JMWebs manning the aid station here! So cool to see ya out there Jim!

Around mile 9, by the aid station you pass just after you go under the bridge and make a left, I saw Lori!!! She was looking strong and this also meant she was only about an hour behind me--and having a stellar race too! We smooched and were both so excited that the other was having a great race. The fans and aid station volunteers loved it! Enough of the mushy stuff, I had a bunch more running to do. Kept on with the run walk mix and at mile 12 I let out my loudest eeeeaaaaawwww as I saw FirstNet911 a mile into his mary!! Craig looked great, we exchanged pleasantries, started running again and got back to state street before I knew it. Just before I turned onto State, I heard my name and saw Tripletsmom!!! Sooo cool to see you there Tammy, I didn't know you were going to be there, though now I know you were there all day. Thanks for the boost!

Saw my mom, Lori's fam, and a bunch more friends cheering on State street. Such a boost. Walked a few seconds with my mom, which was great. At the last aid station I saw SGoehner! Walked a few seconds and talked to him (Scott, you have the bug dood, I bet you will do an IM in the next few years!). At the turn, I couldn't believe it--my split was a freakin' 2:11!!!!!!!!!! (My half mary time at Racine this year was 2:15 so this was a MAJOR victory since I was still feeling great) (seriously, can you believe that?) (that kicks azz) More significanly, I knew that if I ran 11's the rest of the race I could break 12 hours. I simply had to do it. I had to. It wasn't in the bank yet so I tried not to get too riled up. But this was surreal.

Grabbed my special needs bag and traded my empty gu flask and endurolyte containers for full ones. Grabbed the small tube of lube I had in there, not because I felt raw anywhere, but I still had 13.1 to go. And I was off! Saw all the same suspects I had just seen on the way in once again on the way out. I was feeling a bit tired at this point but still strong.

As I headed out onto the second loop I had some gut discomfort. Not a show stopper, no cramps, and the calories were going down but my tummy wasn't all that happy with me. Upped the water intake a bit for the next six miles or so and it went away. I hadn't peed much during the day so I was worried I wasn't hydrated enough. It all worked out with the extra water intake.

Saw and smooched Lori again pretty close to the same spot but a block or so closer to the capital, so I was gaining on her! This is good, as at Racine the last two years she has closed the gap a bit on the run. A few miles down the road Greg, the guy who hosted the bike trip I took to Tahoe in August, passed me. Great to see him! We ran together for the next 5 miles or so, which was great. Saw FirstNet911 again along the lake, gave him some encouragement and kept on keepin' on. Greg also left me beind here and that was just fine with me!

As I was coming into the inpiration station area, I came up on Birkie, who was walking wrapped in an emergency blanket. I asked him if he was okey, to which he responded "NO!" and, well, I'll let you read about it in his RR...

In the Inspiration Station I saw at sign something to the effect of GO DONKEYS with all of the BT names on it. Sofa king cool! Thanks BT'ers!

Saw Lori again, in almost the same spot, but again closer to the capital--I was still extending the gap! This time high fived but no time for smooches--I only had a few miles of Ironman left! With two miles to go I had finished the gel flask and chucked it. Looking for a small boost for the finish, I took my first Coke at an aid station. I was pissed to find it was fully carbonated! My tummy was even more pissed! Oh well. It was time to bring it for a strong finish. I bypassed the last aid station and ran on through. Walked again for about a block two blocks or so before hitting state street.

I'm a little bit vain and at this point I thought about my finish pic. I tucked my hat into the back of my race belt and took off my sunglasses--that's right, I wore my sunglasses until I had covered 139.6 miles. I was planning on finishing in the dark. But it was still light out with one mile to go.

Saw the BT spazz crew two blocks before turning onto state street for the last time and Trixie flashed her abs to me for an added finish boost. Sweet.

Now it is GO TIME!!! I ran the last mile non stop, though I can't say it was fast... Until I hit the last block before the finish. I turned that corner two blocks from the finish and it was as if I was weightless.

I ran.

All out.

Long strides.

Fast.

I high fived Lori's family and some friends, I high fived my coach. And I ran. For all I was worth. I ran.

I turned left and could feel the pumping music. There was bright lights. There was an Ironman arch. There was nobody in the 50 feet in front of me, and I loved having that finishing chute all to myself. As I ran in that last few feet I pointed at Mike Rilley and held a hand to my ear. I wanted to hear him say my name. And he did.

"PeterAK, from Shorewood Wisconsin, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!"

Crossed the line and was caught. My legs were GONE!!! I would surely have fallen over if it weren't for the catchers. BT'er PhilE saw me and took over for one of the catchers. Thanks for being there Phil! MaggyRuth was also there, great to see you too! You guys, MaggyRuth kicks some serious ass. She has been along the IMWI ride with all the donkeys this year, not to mention huge progress she has made as an athlete. So cool.

I saw Yams at some point on the run, but I can't remember where it was. Isn't that weird???

Nutrition: Stopped for every aid station. Alternated between option #1: Hammer gel, endurolyte, and water, and option #2: water and Gatorade Endurance. Took in a total of 10 oz of Hammer gel over the course of the mary.

I had a great swim and bike, but for me, the biggest victory of the day was the run. I actually ran the vast majority of it! If you look at my results all year, you will see high rankings for the swim and bike, and then I drop down on the run. Not so much here--so happy with not only my performance relative to the rest of the field, but as an individual, I really managed to kick it up a huge amount for the big show.

Nothing. Believe it. Seriously.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my mom along the fence, got a huge hug and broke down a bit. That's right, I'm a 32 year old man and I broke down when I hugged my mom. This Ironman stuff is emotional, okay??? I convinced a volunteer to escort my mom into the finishing area to get a picture taken, which was great. The picture is hilarious--I've obviously got tears in my eyes, and she is in the middle of a hearty laugh--eyes shut mouth open. It's great.

Headed out into the real world, got some subs, found Jszat and Yams eventually, just amazing to be an Ironman. After a while I got street clothes from my dry clothes bag, and got a 5 minute massage, the whole time thinking I need to get back to the finish to see Lori become an Ironman!!! Back out, and down to the front row at the finish to get a prime spot to see her come in. She looked so awesome coming down the chute, arms up, strong. Her finish picture is great, pure emotion on that girls face.

We hung around with our family and friends and talked about the race. Also saw Travisvb24 and SZbilicki and chatted with them.

Got to see TriDDS just after his finish too, AWESOME!

And then there was one Donkey with Ironman title still not bestowed: FirstNet911.

Ran into BirkieRunner at the food tent, he was looking a bit better at this point having received some IV and eating some food. Talked about the finish, and then went to find JSzat and cheer in Firstnet911!

Sure enough, it wasn't too long before a Donkey jersey with kids in tow made that glamorous trip through the finish chute!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Why are you asking me that? Isn't anything good enough for you??? Just kidding!!!!

Event comments:

Holy siht. That was awesome.

Last updated: 2006-12-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:52 | 4224 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/266
Overall: 495/2209
Performance: Good
First lap was right on 33 minutes with avg hr 161. Second lap was 35 minutes with avg hr 155. It was almost a perfect split given that the second lap includes the distance from the last corner buoey in to shore.
Suit: Orca Full
Course: Two counter clockwise laps on a rectangular course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:56:59 | 112 miles | 18.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 78/266
Overall: 464/2209
Avg hr: A shockingly low 144!!!
Wind: Some
Course: Out, two 45 mile loops, back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:29:10 | 26.2 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 115/266
Overall: 788/2209
Lap one avg hr: 167 max: 174 Lap two avg hr: 153 max: 183
Course: Two loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-11 9:46 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2007-09-11 9:58 PM
in reply to: #960981

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
You made me cry!! Seriously!! I love all you guys, you're the best, and you are an IRONMAN!!!

Edited by maggyruth 2007-09-11 10:19 PM
2007-09-11 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

Awesome job. You totally kicked a$$ and looked great on the run. It's awesome that you and lori are an IronCouple.

What's next, Trailbreaker?

2007-09-11 11:07 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
I forgot to mention Schmize!!! I saw him as I came out of T2 and again at the turn on the mary.  Thanks for cheering!  I am sure I'm forgetting others too...  Let me know if you cheered me and I didn't acknowledge you!
2007-09-11 11:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
GREAT JOB PETE!!! awesome reading your report, what a cool thing to see all your training and nervousness turn out so well congrats buddy!!!! eeeeeeeeaw
2007-09-12 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
it WAS awesome.  you made the donkey nation and BT land very proud. CONGRATULATIONS!!

2007-09-12 6:38 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

YOU were awesome!!

I cracked up when I saw you on the run... I was like "hey Petey!!" and you turn like in slow motion and say "hey Tam" with a big smile- so like you are not in the middle of an Ironman race... too funny.  Really- you looked great- and what a kick time

I so wished I was out there with you guys

2007-09-12 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Outstanding job on your race and great RR.

I'm 48 and *almost* cried reading along with your finish. Yes; emotions happen.

Huge congrats!
2007-09-12 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Great race Pete, and great report.  I can't tell you how impressed I am not only of this actual performance, but your ability all summer long to nail workout after workout.  That's why this went so well for you.  CONGRATS!!!!!
2007-09-12 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Dude - Great race!!!  You blew out your goals and stuck to your plan.  Just a great great race.  Awesome swim, awesome bike, and fantastic run.  For never doing a marathon, and then clipping off that run...that was awesome.   You looked so strong both times I saw you, too.  Like it was no big deal and that YOU were in control of what was happening.

I will definitely be leaning on you next year as I try to tame the beast myself.

No worries about the late props, but it had to be effen sweet to see all the donkey love out there.  Everywhere I turned there was a donkey cheering or volunteering.  Pretty sweet.  Donkey Nation is rolling hard.

Again.  Great great race.  You just nailed it!  Awesome.

2007-09-12 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race and RR Peter!  Congrats Ironman!!!

2007-09-12 9:55 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Peter - great report! And dude, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! Savor the glory!
2007-09-12 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Doot, way to smash your goal time, though I know it was just Sneaky Pete being sneaky.  Awesome race and good times for sho.  You bet there will be a sequel Frances!
2007-09-12 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Fantastic report and what a fantastic performance.  I actually have goosebumps!  What else can I say?  You trained like you meant it and and then raced like you trained.  You are an Ironman!

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-09-12 11:48 AM
2007-09-12 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
What a great race! You did an amazing job. Congratulations on such a good run time especially.
2007-09-12 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
You are an Ironman BIG TIME! The first time I saw you was at T-1 bike mount and, as the first Donkey out of T-1, I knew you were in for a good day. Saw you out on the bike course, but you were moving so quick, you were gone before I could shout out. A special congrats. on the run; great split and you looked strong.

I have to say this is one of the best race reports I have ever read. (and not just because I'm mentioned) It really captures the essence of the day and what the experience is like from getting up to crossing the line and from pooping to getting flashed by Trixie. Good stuff.

2007-09-12 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Congratulations, you're an Ironman! Lots of work you put in.....great job!
2007-09-12 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks Pete, for letting me learn from you this summer! I appreciate all the details--the specific nutrition stuff, taking in more water and endurolytes for cramps, and even all the poops! Well.....that's some important crap

I also appreciate knowing that you did this without actually doing a full mary ahead of time, as the run is my weakest link. I agree that mastering the bike is KEY and you sure did that!!

Congratulations IronDonk!! Eeeaawww!!

I hope you will continue to log and let us learn from you as you conquer your next big adventures---any idea as to what is next?? Leadville??? Antarctica 26.2?? The world is your oyster

P.S. I"m a romantic, too, so I loved the part about all the smooching Congrats to Lori as well!!
2007-09-12 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Congrats on becoming an Ironman, and with such a good time, too! Your race report was terrific - I felt like I was there.
2007-09-12 11:23 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Pete, I just responded to the inspire you left on my blog, so not much need to say a lot here.  AWESOME performance and report.  Yep, this IM stuff gets pretty emotional.  I hope I wasn't too gruff when I responded to your question on the run about whether I was OK or not.  I wasn't feeling very well at the time.  So glad that you smashed your target time.  Congratulations IRONMAN.
2007-09-13 9:17 AM

User image

Expert

Congrats Ironman!  You freaking rocked the race and beat your goal time to over 2 hrs!  Crazy.  And, awesome race report!!  I had the same problem as you not knowing where I saw people.  I knew I saw almost everyone and talked to them at some point, but I couldnt remember where for the life of me.

Took my time and got off a little poop here. Ahhh, much better.

Classic!

2007-09-13 10:20 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Hey, we finally found Peter you guys!!!  Here he is!

Congratulations, tenured-Donk!

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

2007-09-13 10:42 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

CONGRATS!!!

A 10:16 run pace with a run/walk strategy?  DAM!!!!

2007-09-14 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Peter-- not only do you poop more than any human I've ever known, you write one heck of an RR-- not to mention, run one H3LL of a race!! Congrats to you on out-performing your wildest goals. Let a lifetime's worth of bragging begin!
2007-09-14 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

You had the race of a lifetime, on your first try. Congrats. Well deserved rest this week, then some tough decisions ahead.. like namely, which event will you try for Kona at. Be sure to let us know.

It was great meeting you and Lori. Hope to be able to race with you again some day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 2