General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI from a volunteer's eye Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-09-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #965919

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: IMWI from a volunteer's eye

Wow, MR.  You should get a medal for the Ironman of Volunteering.  Did you take a break at all on Sunday? 

I guess there's just one thing to say:  FACE for volunteering. 

2007-09-15 7:13 PM
in reply to: #961089

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I spent most of my time at Moo strapping a certain first time ironman which was a pleasure, but I also volunteered in the medical tent.  Ironman spectating is a exercise in logistics for sure!!  I spent about 2:45 in T2 between the special needs bag room and the changing rooms.  I got to see the leaders of the race and theBTers I recognized.  THe womans leader so so fast I tried to take her picture as she ran thru and I got a picture of the doorway!!! 

The medical tent was extremely organized and eveyone was super nice.  First of all they take anyone in serious condition straight to the hospital so if you ended up in the tent even tho I know you felt like crap it was OK.  We had more volunteers than patients which was good   Mostly people who were a quart short so to speak.  I took care of an extremely nice man who worked for headsweats.  They were really nice about letting me leave early so I could see Shaun finish. 

The one thing I really disliked about this race was the way they had the finish set up.  There were tents set up along the sides and the entire area was blocked off so unless you were a VIP, were a catcher, were in the media or had a special medical bracelet   there was absolutely NO WAY for anyone to see their athlete finish.  I know they want to sell the photos (like who ISN"T going to buy their finisher photo anyway)  and DVDs but I just think that stinks.  I have to say that overall I was impressed with the level of organization esp coordinating 3500 volunteers.

2007-09-15 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

Congratulations to all of the racers and volunteers!! I flew up from Florida for the race. Me and a couple of friends rented bikes and rode 1 loop of the bike course on Saturday. What an amazing course! Sunday we got up early and watched the swim start, then made our way out to the bike course and stationed ourselves at the top of one of the hills to cheer the racers on, and Monday stood in the rain at Menona Terrace before they let people inside to sign up for next year!!

Congrats again to all involved, it was an awesome weekend for sure.

2007-09-16 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Great post. I''ve been thinking about volunteering next year at IMWI to watch my friends compete and get an inside view. Your post got me really psyched up about the idea. Thanks!
2007-09-16 9:44 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Volunteers make the race IMO - you're all fantastic from the folks that pulled me out of the water, strippers, bike handlers, aid stations folks, sag wagons to the finish line catchers. Just wouldn't be the same without you. Thanks!
2008-10-05 3:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: UPDATED - RE: IMWI from a volunteer's eye
maggyruth - 2007-09-12 12:44 AM

I volunteered at IMWI starting at 4:45 am with bodymarking and ending with the 8-midnight shift of finish-line catchers. My quads were screaming, I was up 22 hours straight, and I felt like I had a hang over the next day. I WOULDN'T TRADE A MINUTE OF IT!!

Below are some of my favorite (and not so favorite) moments from my day. It's been quite a time watching all the friends I've made prepare for this and then see their dreams and goals become reality. If you get the opportunity, VOLUNTEER at an Ironman! There is nothing like it.

• Bodymarking
    • Telling men to strip and they do so quickly and willing, with no questions asked
    • Getting to handle some SERIOUSLY hot bods. "Just need to hold this muscley arm of yous so I get the numbers on right"
    • Getting to write eeaaww all the way down TriDDS's calf (he has a loooooooong calf)
  • Female Change Room (swim to bike)
    • Helping the woman who missed the swim cut off in 2006 by 1 minute. She'd made it with 20 min to spare and was so excited. We were all excited for her
    • The woman who didn't think she would need help who ended up hugging and kissing me before charging out of the room.
    • Running more in that change room then I had the entire 2 weeks prior
    • Seeing less then 10 bags left at the end of the swim cut off (only 1 person actually missed the cut off. The remaining must have been DNS)
  • Sunscreen Application (bike to run transition)
    • All the men whose fantasies were fulfilled by having numerous women massaging lotion on them.
    • Seeing PeterAK WAAAAAAAAY ahead of schedule....SOOOO awesome!!
    • lotioning CubeFarmGopher and mistaking him saying "face" for "thanks"...oops!
  • Time Chip Removal
    • Getting to work with TheSchwamm (who got to take the chip of the winning female...too cool! She also let me crash at her place for the weekend, awesome!)
    • Fist of Death (well meaning as we all are, some volunteers were really annoying)
  • Finish Line Catcher
    • Getting socked in the mouth by an athlete who was so excited he broke 14 hours. He was so enthusiastic and went to hug my catching partner for that round and accidently clocked me. I have a nice little bit of a fat lip.
    • The volunteer handing out blanket who seemed to think it was ok to go between the catcher and the athlete...um, not a wise idea. Come around back.
    • Being the catcher for the man with the prosthesis who crossed the line with his daughter.
    • Michael M (#1803, I believe). He wanted someone to stay with him. When the 2nd catcher left, he kept asking me if I had him. I promised I'd stay with him as long as he wanted. Took him to get signed up for a massage, get his gear bags, his bike and walked him to his hotel (the Hilton that was right across from the finish area). All the while he kept saying how nice it was that I stayed with him. I wouldn't have left for anything.
    • Being in perfect spot in line to catch Lori (GF of PeterAK)
    • Watching one of my catchees (female) coming down the chute crossing from side to side for high fives, realizing I really DO want that to be me one day. IMWI 2010, here I come.

Peggy, dear - I had a free rainy Sunday to revive this since you didn't supply one from this past IM Moo.

Once again, you were a terrific volunteer!  Kudos to you.

Kudos to all those that jockstrapped and volunteered this past Moo ('08).

Kudos to those that have jockstrapped and volunteered to all the past Ironman races this past year!

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2008-10-05 3:36 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI from a volunteer's eye Rss Feed  

of 2