Reston Triathlon
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 33s
Overall Rank = 156/457
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about an hour before i had to leave. had a bagel w/ butter, water and a little coffee
Event warmup:

uhhh, actually none. just a 10 min walk (if that) from the shopping center to the start line.
Swim
  • 33m 48s
  • 1609 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was fabulous for me! It has been such a long uphill battle with swimming that I was just so happy to feel as great as I did. For my second lake swim, and having panicked and back stroked charlottesville in July, this was nothing short of victory for me. I freestyled the whole way, felt calm, and actually enjoyed it. I even recovered nicely after being CLOCKED by a huge guy. I thought he actually just aimed and punched me in the face. goggles when flying. i had no idea what hit me. i thought i broke my nose. i never really pushed myself to go fast the whole time. i was really just concentrating on keep my exertion level controlled so I could finish. I was just VERY VERY happy with this.
What would you do differently?:

Now that I know I can do it, go faster!
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

I was also happy with this. My transition spot was HORRIBLE, but who cares unless you're competing to win. This is a strange transition because you have to pack all of your stuff in a bag they give you so they can take it to the second transition spot. But given my spot, taking off a wet suit, and then bagging everything, I was actually happy with how smoothly it went.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 58s
  • 22.3 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt a little shaky at the beginning, but I settled down and found a good pace. Definitely slowed down on the uphills on the third lap.

i need to focus the off season on strength training, and getting stronger so i can come out swinging in the spring.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Fine

Pay attention that my speed laces aren't too tight.
Run
  • 49m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Well obviously this is my strongest point from a numbers standpoint, but I was comfortable the whole time. I got a little crampy around mile 3, but then I just took the pace down a little until I got better.

it was also nice to see ryan heading back on my way out.

I am definitely going to do interval training to work on speed. right now all my training is distance training. i think i could take it to a whole new level with speed intervals.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. walked around and talked about the race

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a different body and more training

Event comments:

This race doesn't give medals, but they have fabulous goodie bags. we got a nice shell jacket, hat and socks.

I would have also appreciated it if the bike course were a little wider. things felt a little cramped.

Overall I was thrilled with this race. I never would have believed that I could get this time in first year of triathlon and only my second oly. I was absolutely shocked when i crossed the finished line and looked at my watch. ...and even more shocked when ryan noticed that i had to stick around to pick up an age group award. totally totally unbelievable!
all and all I will definitely do this again. it's right in my back yard. it also has a special place in my heart because it is my first age group win. YAY! hopefully more to come.

Last updated: 2007-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:48 | 1609 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 231/457
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: one lap out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:58 | 22.3 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 219/457
Wind: None
Course: Just shy of 3 loops around Reston roads. Rolling hills, but nothing large.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:00 | 06.21 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 87/457
Course: out and back course: Rolling SHADED hills on Reston's beautiful path system
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-12 5:30 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2007-09-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: #961108

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon
Lisa - great job!

I actually saw you at the awards (I was sitting up from you and to the left) and thought that it might be Hooslisa from BT. I should have said something!

Great race - way to make it through the swim after being hit. Great great run - really awesome to place in the top 3 in your AG already.

2007-09-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: #961108

User image

Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon
Great job with the swim...way to relax in the water. That is half the battle. The other half I've noticed is seeing where you are going!! Seems like everyone I spoke with at the event got hit except me. I live for water fights.lol. Sweet, Sweet run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed