General Discussion Race Reports! » Noell Maerz Patriot Games Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Noell Maerz Patriot Games Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
United States
Noell Maerz WTC Foundation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 25s
Overall Rank = 1/117
Age Group = Male/Male
Age Group Rank = 1/45
Pre-race routine:

Weds19 and I were doing this team race together. You can read his RR with pictures here. His sister, Sissy - super fan extraordinair came to cheer and support us.

Woke up around 4:45. Ate bagel w/ pb. We left home around 5:45 and arrived at venue around 6:15.

Event warmup:

I loop of the bike course... ~7mi. Then some stretching and 3/4 mile walk to the start line.

Swim
  • 21m 52s
  • 2400 meters
  • 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

This segment included a ~3/4 mile run, ~1.5mi canoe and T1. Estimated splits...5min run, 16min canoe, 1min T1.

The run start was 3/4 of a mile from transition as to allow the field to break up a bit before entering the water. We started about three or four people deep. It was really congested for the first minute or so. Although we didn't discuss any strategy for this run, we were both on the same page with our approach to "stay with the leaders". I looked down at my watch at one point and saw my HR at 180. We arrived at the canoes in 5th place and prob about 5s back of the leaders.

We grabbed a life jacket and paddle and jumped in the next canoe which volunteers were holding for us. We had decided the day before to not use any fancy strokes (e.g the J stroke) and just "switch" if one of us was pulling us in one direction too much. In hindsight, this may not have bene the best idea. We were OK on the out, pretty good on the cross and bad on the return. We still lost a ton of positions and time and by the time we exited Sissy had told us there were 20 teams in front of us! Yikes...that had be nervous. Since the official results had our split as 13th OA, we must have passed ~8 teams in transition...not surprising since we don't mess around in T1. Didn't realize it at the time, but we were down over 3.5min to the leaders leaving T1.
What would you do differently?:

More practice in the canoe.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 42m 31s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Time includes T2. Course was advertised as 13mi in some spots and 14mi in others. I'd guess somewhere in between as both of our bike computers clocked over 13mi and an avg in the mid 19s. I posted the official results in this RR.

After being a bit discouraged after hearing that 20 teams beat us out of the water I was ready to work (i.e. hammer) the bike. In hindsight I was a bit over anxious and this combined with our difference in riding styles delayed us getting into a solid rhythm for a couple miles. We chatted a bit around mile 2, I got settled in a bit, and we were back on plan for taking turns pulling for 30s - 1min at a time.

As we completed the first loop, Sissy told us were were only 53s back. This was great news. We continued taking turns pulling and by the time we hit the trail section for the second time (~mile 11), we were in first place. We played leap from with two other teams for the remainder, with them frequently passing us on the climbs on their road bike and us gaining it all back on the downhills and flats.

As we dismounted the team in 2nd bikes right into transition...rookies (or cheaters).

Not get so over zealous in the beginning. Ride together some more...prob haven't ridden together since pre-CDA. Can't complain too much as we posted the top bike split by over 2.5min.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 23m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

We hussled in transition and beat the 2nd and 3rd place teams out by 12 and 15 seconds respectively. This was the first time while on the course that I realized we were in first place. We took a couple peaks back and kept the effort high. At one point I mentioned an old X-country tip to "increase the gap of those behind you when turning a blind corner" that way they'll get discouraged when they see you next. We did this a couple minutes into the race, not that it really mattered. Brad did a nice job of pacing us on the way out...reminded me to "keep the cadence high" a couple times. At the turn-around I had estimated we had increased our lead at ~1:20. We increased the effort on the way home and I would guess we negative split.

Nothing...top split by 50s.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed car, stretched, cheered on other racers and waited for award ceremony. Both got a nice plaque an we got a larger trophy to share. Our names will also get posted on the event trophy as the overall winner.

After awards ceremony we had a nice lunch in Doylestown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of canoe skills

Event comments:

Tons of fun!!! Very good race that is a memorial race for a 9/11 victim. It's also a fundraiser for the Make-a-Wish foundation. Definitely a different feel when participants are there for a cause as oppose to the typical triathlon. Sissy and I talked to some random guy for about 10min and when we asked him who he was cheering, he just said he was there b/c he was a neighbor of the 9/11 victim's famliy.

Website could you use some help with better course maps, description, accurate mileage etc. but given the purpose/level of this race, these are "nice-to-have's" as oppose to "must-have's".

Last updated: 2007-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:52 | 2400 meters | 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/45
Overall: 13/117
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Run was on a paved path, typical of a walking/biking path. Canoe was a clockwise triangle in a tranquil lake.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:31 | 13 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/45
Overall: 1/117
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Two loops around the lake. I'd say 80% roads and 20% on a windy bike path. Two big climbs per loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:02 | 03.1 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/45
Overall: 1/117
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on path around lake. I gmap'd the course at closer to 3.2mi. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1311662
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-12 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Noell Maerz Patriot Games Triathlon

2007-09-12 12:00 PM
in reply to: #961371

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Noell Maerz Patriot Games Triathlon
awesome race! monster pulls on the bike to get us back into it and making for a nice easy run. not sure it works into our schedule next year, but i think we'll have some people gunning for us next year. it would be nice to repeat and see our names on the trophy though!!!
2007-09-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: #961371

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Subject: RE: Noell Maerz Patriot Games Triathlon
Great job!!!  Excellent teamwork!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Noell Maerz Patriot Games Triathlon Rss Feed