Rockland Road Runners
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 26s
Overall Rank = 82/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/336
Pre-race routine:

Cliff Bar and Cup o Joe. Finding I don't need much before runs. Continue to tweak as I approach MCM
Event warmup:

1/2 mile jog w/ my friend Phil then stretching
Run
  • 1h 20m 25s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically three segments:

Miles 1-2
Thot I'd stay w/ my friend for as long as I could. Problem is, he ran 7:25's last year, way out of my league. Within 1/2 mile I knew I couldn't stay w/ him. Decided right there to run my own race. I also dropped my only gel, damn! My HR was pushing Z3 already but w/ a downhill I stayed w/ the effort. Shocked at the 1 Mile mark when the clock read 7:02. I knew I'd better slow down. 15 minutes at Mile 2 so I was more on the 8:00 pace that I was now shooting for.

Miles 3- 8
HR was still high but I attributed that to the heat and humidity more than my effort level so I maintained the pace. Hit the 5 mile mark at 38:3X. Still ahead of pace and feeling good but wishing I had that gel, as I'm really used to taking them at about this point in training. I did slow at every water station to ensure good hydration (can't drink on the fly). Pace slowed around the 6 Mile mark. A guy pulled along side me and wanted to talk. That was nice distraction and forced me to keep pace. I had trouble keeping a conversation going so I knew I was pushing it. We must've zoned because we both missed the 7 Mile marker. I commented that it seemed like a long mile than, soon after, we hit the 8 Mile marker and a water station. For the first time I was really feeling the heat. I told him I was going to stop and he moved on. I'd see him later. Took in 2 full waters and one on the head. Smart, as the first incline to the finish was coming. I felt it, but shortened my stride and chugged up it making some ground on those in front of me.

Miles 9-10
Hit the 9 mile marker at 1:12:30. Realized I'd need a 7:30 mile to make my goal of 1:20. I knew that wasn't going to happen and now I was staring at the steepest hill of the race! Got passed by a woman that I complained to about the hill. At the crest the course made a hard right onto a gravel trail. I thought the finish was just ahead. I started to go hard, too hard. But manged to pass the woman from the hill. Then, I realized the finish still wasn't in sight. Uh, oh! Backed off a bit. Next, I leaned into it and let my momentum carry me. It hurt. Then, I saw the guy that I let go at the 8 Mile water station. I caught him and said: "Cmon, lets finish strong". Evidently, I had little more in the tank and moved passed him. It still hurt, bad. Finish in sight, I saw some of my tri-club members that were spectating and that provided the motivation to hang on. I dug a little deeper and pushed to the finish. Didn't quite get the 1:20 but I managed a 7:55 for that last mile. I left it all out there and was very happy. Truth be told, I thought 1:25 was more realistic but with the fast start I realized I had a shot at 1:20 and decided to go for it.

What would you do differently?:

Safety pin my gel to my race belt. Lesson learned for MCM.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a free Ice Cream, huing w/ the Toga guys for a bit and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity but honestly I don't think it effected me that bad. Losing that gel hurt more.

Event comments:

RRR's best race, hands down. 6 water stations, 3 or 4 digital clocks plus volunteers shouting times at other markers and every mile is marked. Great views of the Hudson, a challenging but fair course and good post race grub. What more can you ask for? Well, maybe post the official results sooner. 3 days later and still not availavle. Told me they wer having issues. Not like the AG stuff really matters to me anyway.

Last updated: 2007-09-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:25 | 10 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/336
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. downwill for the first 2 miles or so, then flat , 2 miles up on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-12 11:37 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: 19 th Annual South Nyack 10 Miler

2007-09-12 1:02 PM
in reply to: #961657

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: 19 th Annual South Nyack 10 Miler
Awesome race and way to push yourself.  Especially the last mile.  I'll be up for MCM so perhaps we'll run into each other.
2007-09-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: #961657

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: 19 th Annual South Nyack 10 Miler
Way to let it hang out there!  Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 19 th Annual South Nyack 10 Miler Rss Feed