Ironman North America
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 76/2209
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/156
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race actually started the day before for me. The plan was to eat on Sat and early Sunday so I was slightly hungry going into the race on Sunday morning. That way I could control what was going through me, while not having to worry about the food from the night before to slow everything down. I wanted to get a bigger lunch in me to have more time to digest. So, a few of us went out to a pasta joint and I had some gnocchi and chicken. After that, the rest of the day was walking around a bit, resting and snacking more. For supper, we went out for Mexican and I had a couple of dry-as-hell chicken soft tacos. Just something to get in the stomach. Also, from about 12p until I went to bed, I took in a S-Cap on the hour, every hour.

At 2a I woke up to get an early liquid breakfast in me. I drank 2 PowerBar Recovery drinks (the ready made type) and a package of Clif Margarita Shot Bloks. That got me about 700 cal of easily digested food. Back to bed. Woke up at 4:10a, did my morning business, ate a PowerBar and headed out to meet Jim in the hotel lobby at 5a. We walked over to body marking, got marked and checked out the bikes. While checking out the bike, I pumped my tires up and put the bike computer back on. When I put it on, it started to freak out again. Crappy. I messed around with it for about 5', then gave up on it. No bike computer for me today. I headed back to meet up with Amy and my parents and ate another package of shot bloks around 6:00a. As we walked down to the swim start I ate half a banana and gave the rest to Josh .
Event warmup:

At about 6:45a we entered the water, swam to the start line, seeded ourselves and tread water until the canon went off.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 51s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Chris, Jim and I started inside the first buoy about 30ft back. I think we seeded ourselves pretty well. The canon went off and everyone started swimming. It was pretty crazy throughout the whole swim. I got kicked in the face (thankfully by the soft part of the bottom of someones foot), elbowed in the bike, elbowed in the goggles so my goggle sucked onto my eye pretty much sucking it out my eyeball, punched in the back of the head, and almost kicked in the man-parts. Fun, eh? Actually, I was expecting a lot worse. There was times where people would get too close than comfortable for me so I kept my elbows up and let them know I was there. I just swam along and did my thing. I drafted the best I could and it was pretty easy with so many people around. The first lap was something around 36', which was right on pace for me. It finally cleared up a little on the second loop and I was able to get some open water on the inside and more feet at my pace to draft from. I think that helped out a lot. Finally reached land and ran to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I would change anything on this swim. I swam the best I could and am happy with my time.
Transition 1
  • 06m 16s
Comments:

Ran out, pointed to some wetsuit stippers, layed down and let them do their thing. Thanked them and started to run towards the helix and ran up it. Saw Amy and my parents and tried to give 'em 5. I ran easier up the helix as my HR was around 160s, but I still passed a ton of people going up. Ran towards the changing area and started to yell out my number. I got to my bag before the volunteer so I grabbed it and ran towards the changing area. Ran in...crap...no chairs open. I finally found/stole one towards the back side of the room. Dumped out my bag, helmet on, race number on, took a Gu, grabbed a PowerBar and shot bloks and put them in my pockets, grabbed my sunglasses and the lense popped out. Cursed. Put the lense back in, sunglasses on, stuffed the wetsuit and swim stuff in the bag and ran out with my shoes unstrapped and in hands. On the way out I got lathered in sunscreen and headed towards the bikes. When I FINALLY reached close to my bike I started yelling out my number. Volunteers passed it down the line and grabbed my bike. I stopped, put my shoes on, got my bike and ran to the mount area. Mounted and away I went.

Probably not put the death grip on my sunglasses so the lense pops off. Other than that I think T1 went well.
Bike
  • 5h 34m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I got down the helix I started eating a PowerBar, forgetting that I took in a gel 5' earlier. After I realized it, I drank a little more water than usual to help it digest. My pre-race plan of going into the race a little hungry was working perfectly. I could tell my stomach was empty, but I wasnt starving or anything. This is perfect in that as soon as I would eat something it was starting to get digested and absorbed. Anyways, my HR was a little high coming out of the swim so I took the first mile and the "no pass" zone on the trail pretty easy. Since my bike computer was broke, I couldn't tell my speed or cadence. The whole ride was based off HR and RPE. I kept it mid Z2 in the flats (140-145), Z3 in the climbs and I coasted or soft pedaled all the downhills for recovery. The first part of the loop was tough as the north wind was blowing in our faces. Once we reached the hills I started passing people left and right. Passing a ton of people - actually 817 of them over the course of the whole ride. It started out that we would climb, I would pass people, they would hammer the downhills and pass me, we'd hit another hill, I'd pass them and they would eventually fade.

Had a little scary moment in Verona. I was pushing around 25 mph or so and coming up on a intersection. For some reason, the cop waved this lady through, she went and I had to lock of the rear tire. I though I was going to hit the lady's car. Thankfully, she didnt stop and kept going. All was fine, but I still yelled at her. Once I got to the hills on the second loop you could tell everyone was getting tired. My legs were feeling pretty good so I kept doing what I did on the first loop. My times were slower the second time around though.

On the second climb of the three main hills where people crowd the road I had this dude pretty much cut me off and push me into the crowd. I was still passing a lot of people on the uphills as they would get out of the saddle and try and climb them like that. I would get an easy gear and sit n spin. Anyways, I'm about to pass this guy on the left and he keeps fading over to the left. I start yelling "Left Left" and he cuts over to the left. We bump and I get pushed into the crowd. People are pawing me to keep me from going in any further. I shift up a gear, get outta the saddle the burn the dude on the hill. People were screaming. It was great. I get back in my rhythm and finish out the climb. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. Just sticking to the plan.

Hydration: Pretty much drank a full aero drink bottle between each aid station and filled it up again at each one. Some Gatorade every now and then.

Nutrition: Gu in T1, PowerBar at the beginning of the bike, 2.5 pkgs of margarita shot bloks and 6-7 Gu alternating every 25', 90% of a bottle that consisted of 2 servings Perp and 4 servers Gu2o. S-Cap every 35-40'. Approx. Total Cal.: 2400. 430 Cal / hr.

I would have like to have my bike computer on ride, but other than that, nothing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Once up the helix I unstrapped my shoes and rode with feet on top. Hopped off my bike and a volunteer took it. First impression after touching ground was "Whoa, stiff legs." As I ran into the bag area they loosened up pretty nice. Started yelling my number and got my bag. This time around there were lots of open chairs. Sat down, took my helmet off and a volunteer came over and dumped out my bag. Socks on, shoes on, hat on, took a Gu, grabbed my Gu flask and container with S-Caps and I was out the door. On the way out I got lathered in more sunscreen and hit up a port-a-john. This was the only time I peed all day. If you ask me, I was dead-on with hydration. I could hear Amy and my parents yelling my name while in there. I got out, saw them and headed over to them to give them 5. Kept running and out the gate I went.

Nothing.
Run
  • 3h 16m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to keep this run totally Z2, and that I did. Z2 for this day for me translated into 7:10-7:40 miles, depending when and where on the course. As I started, I noticed Jim ahead of me so I caught up to him and we chatted a bit. I continued on and kept running. Mentally, I took this run as "1 mile down, 1 to go, 1 mile down, 1 to go, etc." That worked really well for me. I took in a Gu every 25' and water at every aid station. Also grabbed gatorade at every other aid station. To keep cool I grabbed at least 2-3 sponges at every one and squeezed them over my head. That felt really good.

Slow n steady I kept the pace just chugging along. Lots of people out there yelling for Team Donkai and the crowds were amazing. The first miles were fairly easy running and I kept them that way as I knew they were going to get hard as the mary went on. This one guy from Gear N' Up (a team local to me) passed me. This was the guy that won the Green Bay Sprint. I kept with him for a while and I found my HR getting a little higher than I wanted so I eased back, knowing that I'd smoke him in a few miles. I could tell he was tired. Once we reached Observatory hills, he stopped to walk. I thought thats not such a bad idea since these are really the only two short, steeper hills on the course and there's no point in going anaerobic on it. I passed the Gear N' Up guy and power walked about 50 ft up the first one, and started running again at the crest and repeated the same on the second. That worked out perfectly as I didn't even feel those hills when I started running again.

Mile after mile I kept on running along, sticking to the plan. At some point on the end of the first loop I saw the Gear N' Up dude after a turn-around. He was done. I had about 2 miles on him at this point. I don't know why I was so obsessed with smoking him - maybe it was because he was the only person that got ahead of me for a little bit. Yup, NOBODY passed me on this marathon. Around mi 10-12 my arms started to tingle. Almost like the feeling you got hit in the funny bones. I got a little worried about this thinking that something worse was coming on. Thankfully, nothing did. Side aches started to come on and as soon as I hit the next aid station I popped two S-caps which soon took care of those. Soon enough I hit the turn around and headed out for another half-marathon.

At this point I was feeling pretty good. Legs were getting heavy and I was fighting fatigue, but I wasn't hurting or in any pain - sans arm tingling. I kept the mantra on of "1 mile down, 1 to go" and just kinda zoned out for the run until mile 20-21. I repeated the same power walking for the Observatory hills, which was an excellent idea.

Around the 21 mile mark I started to get really excited and push a little bit harder. I felt like I was pushing more, but the HR was lower than what it should be and the littlest hill was taking its toll on me. My body was reaching its threshold. Now was the time to whip out the Ironman mentality and stop for nothing. Pushing on I kept passing people (though most of them were on the first loop, it was still a confidence builder) all while ignoring the tingling in arms and lips and the fact that when I straightened out my arms I would get some shooting nerve tingles. Nice. I saved my final "kick" until the last 3 miles, knowing that the last mile was going to be tough as it was a gradual ascend to the finish. Around mi 25.5 I saw some BTers and looked over. Trixie and Regimom have their shirts over their heads. I probably didnt show it, but I was laughing histerically inside while finishing off the last block of the ascend. Once I got up there and turned the corner by the special needs bags a huge smile came across my face. I'm finishing an Ironman. I could hear the crowd yelling at the finish. I started throwing my arms up and yelling. I had the whole chute to myself. Total elation came over me as I ran down the chute. Unreal. I crossed the line with my arms up, yelling and listening to Mike Reilly announcing "Rob Yamry, YOU are and IRONMAN!" with the crowd going nuts.

Hydration: Water at every aid station. Gatorade at every other one.

Nutrition: 5 Gu, 2 PowerGels, S-Cap every 30'. Approx. Total Cal.: 900-1000. 300-330 Cal / hr.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed, the catchers grabbed me and kept saying that Im still walking on my own and how surprised they were at how much strength had left. I told them about my arms and lips, but declined medical treatment. The tingling stopped about a 1/2 hr after I finished. Got my finishers medal, found Amy and my parents and gave them huge hugs. Went back in and got my finishers photo. Drank my Endurox and ate some pizza and other food from the tent. Shortly after I decided to go get a massage before it started to fill up. After that, we walked back to the hotel, showered up and went back down to the finish area to watch other people come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind played a little factor during the bike, but other than nothing. I layed out everything I had on the course and am absolutely ecsatic with my race and results.

Event comments:

Does it get any better organized than at an Ironman event? Absolutely perfect in every aspect of the race organization.

I had a plan, stuck to it and everything layed out nicely through the course of the race for me. I beat my goal time of 10:17:00 and am unbelievably excited about how everything went. Absolutely perfect and total elation at my first Ironman is all I can say.

Last updated: 2006-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:51 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 104/156
Overall: 1037/2209
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Fluid Drive Sleeveless
Course: Retangular, counter-clockwise 2-loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:34:09 | 112 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/156
Overall: 131/2209
Avg HR: 143; Max HR: 161
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Starts at the Monona Terrace and heads West into Verona. 2 hilly loops in the Verona/Mt. Horeb area and then back the same way out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:16:00 | 26.2 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/156
Overall: 27/2209
First loop - 1:36:56 (7:23/mi). Second Loop - 1:39:04 (7:33/mi). :: Mile - Time - Avg/Max HR :: 1 - 6:37 - 144/150 :: 2 - 7:13 - 143/147 :: 3 - 7:16 - 144/148 :: 4 - 7:08 - 146/149 :: 5 - 7:20 - 146/148 :: 6 - 7:36 - 147/156 :: 7 - 7:31 - 147/151 :: 8 - 7:17 - 146/148 :: 9 - 7:44 - 146/147 :: 10 - 7:29 - 147/150 :: 11 - 7:30 - 149/152 :: 12 - 7:38 - 146/150 :: 13 - 7:47 - 148/155 :: 14 - 7:23 - 145/148 :: 15 & 16 - 15:28 - 146/151 :: 17 - 7:29 - 146/150 :: 18 - 7:46 - 145/147 :: 19 & 20 - 15:59 - 143/149 :: 21 - 7:45 - 142/145 :: 22 - 7:49 - 141/143 :: 23 & 24 - 15:12 - 143/147 :: 25 - 7:30 - 145/148 :: 26 & .2 - 7:24 - 149/155 ::
Course: Two loop course going through downtown Madison, around the universtiy campus and on some trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-12 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2007-09-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: #962560

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

ROB YAMRY..........YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!! Awesome race, what an incredible job out there. I am proud to know you and can't tell you how nice it was meeting you out there.

Awesome run, you looked totally relaxed when you flew by me on the football field! Great report and once again.....AWESOME JOB!!! 

2007-09-12 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
awesome job rob!!!! unbelievably kick time on your first IM! you played the whole race very smart and it paid off for you which is definitely a lesson to learn. very very impressive mr donkey! now next year you'll know what youre doing and you can help me hehe and after my selfish needs you may then go all out for kona!! congrats ironman!!!!
2007-09-12 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Amazing time.....congatulations Ironman! Seriously impressive times, way to go!
2007-09-12 11:01 PM
in reply to: #962668

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Not much more that I can tell you that I haven't already said in person. Awesome performance for a first IM.  You're destined for much faster times.  Wish I could have stayed with you after meeting on the run at the Capital. Great race report.  Enjoy the "offseason" and the new house.  Congrats Ironman!
2007-09-12 11:21 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Awesome job Yams!  It was great going down this journey together.  Can't wait to see you go even faster!

2007-09-13 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Fantastic race and great RR!  Way to tough it out and stick to your plan.  That's what it's all about.
2007-09-13 8:34 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Great stuff Rob!!!  Another kick-azz huge accomplishment for you in '07.  You really smoked that run for an IM-Mary, no doubt about that.
2007-09-13 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan

awesome job. you really kicked a$$ . and wait, why were you laughing hysterically, cause we are soooo small??

CONGRATULATIONS!! EEEEEEEAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!

Edited by trixie 2007-09-13 8:40 AM
2007-09-13 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Very impressive race Rob! As you know, I saw you a couple of times on the run and you always looked strong and in control of your race. I also saw you on the bike at about mile 90 and you looked remarkably fresh. Amazing that you could stick to your goal pace on the bike without a computer. Watching your training all season, I knew you would rock it and you did. Only bigger things to come for you.
2007-09-13 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
awesome race, great report!  congradulations ironman!

2007-09-13 9:38 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Fantastic race and very smartly done!  Way to stick with your plan and crank out a top 10 in your AG!!

Kona is within reach if you want it!

2007-09-13 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
No suprises at all here.  Awesome job and good to see the hard work pay off.  Just promise me you wont go all cockbag when you go sub 10 next year!
2007-09-13 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Oh yeah, far too little about me in that RR too btw.  Work on it for next time.
2007-09-13 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great Race - FreakShow (my nickname for you, not sure what pseudoyams means, but FreakShow fits).  Unbelievable first IM.  Especially, considering it was Wisconsin.  You are easily sub 10 at Florida/AZ and I am sure you will be sub 10 next year.  Damn!

Keep on rocking and inspiring the rest of us with your talent and work ethic!

2007-09-13 10:03 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

WOW!  I can actually tell people that I did a bike training ride with this guy once and sat with him at the IM dinner!

I'm not Mike Reilly, but I just have to state the obvious:

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

2007-09-13 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Great race Rob - It sucks about the bike computer but you still are like the wind even without speed gages. You are a champ! Unbelievably fast!  Good goin' beating out the G. Up dude
2007-09-13 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Great race and awesome report! Totally impressed with your race plan and how well it worked for you.  You rock!
2007-09-13 6:26 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
I dont know if anyone has told you this before but you are freakin fast!!!!
2007-09-13 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Wow, great story!  Better to race "blind" sometimes without a bike computer than to be getting all freaked out with the numbers, distance, mph, etc.

I'm totally impressed that your goal time was 10:17 and you made it within 30 secs.  Way to reach high and dig deep for that IRONMAN!  Atta boy. 

2007-09-16 8:17 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Unbelievable stuff, man. Great, great race. And thank you so much for such a thorough RR-- I learned a ton and I'm sure others did as well. Congratulations on planning a smart race and executing it to a "T"!

2007-09-16 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Great report. Especially the part about being 'slow and steady'. Your slow and steady is my sprint pace blowing anaerobic! What a great time and smartly executed for a first IM. Enjoy Kona when that day comes, because it will!

Congrats.

H.
2007-09-16 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Gawd, you are amazing! I can't wait to come jockstrap for you in Kona
2007-09-17 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Rob - You spent the past 3+ months putting in the work and doing the planning.  Race day rolled around and you executed a smart race...damn near perfect.   Awesome race...you earned it. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed