General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-12 9:46 PM

Regular
Anchorage, AK
Subject: Off Season?!?!
So, what have you all got planned for the off season and what races are you planning for next year? I probably will be in the Northwest by then, but want to hear your race goals!!!

2007-09-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: #962630

Regular
Subject: RE: Off Season?!?!
Well the day after the Midwest Meltdown I put my credit cards to use by trading in my Giant OCR3 road bike that weighed 1000 pounds and bought a Trek E7. I got an $1850 bike for $1450. So that was a good deal. Now is the time to buy last years model gear that retailers are trying to get rid of. When I picked up my goodie bag at Bikesource last Saturday I saved $50 on winter clothing. I got a bike jacket and cold weather bike/running pants. I am pretty well set as far as winter goes. Also I worked out a winter maintenance plan for working out, alot of weights. For the next month I plan on biking as much as possible befor the cold sets in. My only big purchase left is a wetsuit for next year.

I also highly recommend buying The Complete Triathlon Book by Matt Ftzgerald from Triathlete Magazine. You can get a used copy on Amazon.com for less than $10. It really explains alot. It also tells me how much I screwed up on training for the first year. Such as Threshold,VO2 Max, Speed, Endurance, and many other details. The one thing it has really helped me out on is nutrition. I can't seem to put it down, and read it with a highlighter.

As for this week I am taking it easy, my allergies are killng me. I wish I could workout but am pretty sick.

As for next year I plan on these tris...

Big O Half Ironman in May

Flint Hills in Manhatten in early June . I hear its a great race with tons of volunteers, a dinner the night before, and a great friendly environment.

Tinman full Course

Shawnee Mission Full Course

Jackson County

Oklahoma City Redman Half Ironman, This is suppose to be a very flat great race. I talked to a guy who did it and said the biggest hill on the run was the curd, also the bike is suppose to be flat too. The race support and volunteers are also rumored to be great also.

I want to try to get in some events not put on by KLM but rather locally and see how they stack up.

I did not much care for the Meltdown. Coming out of the rocks at end of swim really sucked. The bike course was a great course I will say that, it made the Mayhem feel flat. The run was good to besides the fact the high quality spray painted box that may have cost a $1 tipped over with directions to the last turn on the run, costing people to miss the last turn. Also no rewards ceramony since the timing issue got screwed up...again. Also alot of the athletes liked the cooler weather but I am one for the heat, making the early morning warm. I did not do a warm up swim because I was cold all morning. I actually was cold on the bike also. The run was pleasant I will say that. I am one who enjoys training at 100 degrees verses 70 degrees. As far as the goodie bag, how are you gonna give us a regular t-shirt after giving us those sweet- shirts from Jackson co?

2007-09-13 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I usually do a lot of running races to keep something to train for. 5k this weekend in wichita! I'm gonna look into a trainer cause I want to keep my speed up on the bike. You can find some good off season maintenace plans on here too.

As for next years races... I thought it would be fun to do Topeka again but it already looks like the Army has claimed that weekend. I might look at doing the Mudwater at Lake Afton, maybe the salty dog, shawnee mission but for sure either Redman Half or 5430 Long Distance in CO.
2007-09-13 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Just like climbin5414 I'm gonna get in alot of swimming and running.  Big race next year: Redman Triathlon....Ironman Distance!
2007-09-14 9:07 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I'm getting an indoor trainer and will for sure be running a lot (providing my knee doens't need major work done on it). I'd like to find a masters swim class, but they seem sparse in Wichita.

As for next year, my main goal is to do a Half IM. I'm eyeing Redman.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season?!?! Rss Feed