Reston Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 20s
Overall Rank = 207/321
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:30 a.m.; stumbled into the kitchen and ate a big bowl of Lucky Charms and milk... The stuff works for me for some reason. Drank a bottle of Gatorade and finished packing my drink bottles for the bike and run. Yes, packed a running belt just in case it was going to be too hot, but overall didn't take much with me. Grabbed a couple of boxes of raisins and some fig newtons and was out the door by 5:15.
Event warmup:

Didn't do diddly for warmup. The T2 spot is about a mile or so from the T1 location. Drove to the T2 spot and saw Ernie (ejc999); set up my T2 gear and after some fumbling in the dark was off via bike to the T1 location. Got body marked and then set up my gear for T1.

Walked around a bit with my family (my wife and kids were part of the kayak safety crew), saw several folks that I know from tri's past, and then decided to get my wetsuit on a few minutes before the start of the event. Ate a Gu just before the first wave jumped in the water.

As I said.. not much of a warmup.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Amazingly, with as little swimming as I've had this year, I was only about 45 seconds off of last year's time, which was on pretty high volume and during a "peaking" period for me. Who knows why this year was so close, but I'll take it. My form was okay overall, but I couldn't really get into a groove -- I never felt I was reaching well, so I had shorter, choppier strokes. I felt good overall -- my HR was up in the 140's most of the time (about 10 beats higher than I like), and I could have kept swimming at the end. I was bummed that I was seeded in the "blaze orange" wave and was getting SERIOUSLY lapped by the "green" wave behind me, but there was also a period where I was solo swimming and that was a good feeling.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I joined a master's group a few weeks before Reston and it will certainly help as I go forward. Nutrition was fine.
Transition 1
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

As Ernie (ejc999) said, I must have had my nails done during T1. I wasn't in a hurry. I was thursty after the swim, so downed some Accelerade, packed my suit in the bags (they bring the T1 gear to T2), and put on my riding jersey. I was wet so had to dry off (couldn't get the jersey on), so that took a bit. For whatever reason I couldn't get my socks on without a wrinkle under the foot, which also ate some time (and make me a tad angry too).

Oh, if I were TRUELY serious about this race, I would have had a one-piece or something under my wetsuit so that I didn't have to screw with the jersey issue. I should probably try to get to not wearing socks for a race of this duration or shorter -- perhaps next seasion.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 5s
  • 22.3 miles
  • 19.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I was ready for this part of this -- I've spent alot of time on the bike so felt really good about it. Despite this I was of the mindset to not push myself -- and about 10 minutes into the bike my front deraileur broke, basically keeping me on the inner ring. My time was about 4 minutes slower than last year, which really surprises me since I didn't get to use the big ring for speed.

Overall, I was doing well. I passed lots of folks and got passed by fewer than I expected. My average speed was less than 20 mph, compared to 21 mph last year, but I felt good.

As I would find out on the run, I drank too much on the bike and had to pee during the run... SOOOOOOOO, don't drink as much on the run. For how I felt the bike was the most enjoyable part of the day. I had fun.
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

If you can believe it, I had forgotten to untie my shoes, which had double knots in them! Forgot to take my helmet off, and had to run back to the rack. My bladder was full and I was debating whether to use the loo right at the edge of T2 or the woods.. I opted for the woods shortly after I was on the running path...

Untie my friggin shoes....
Run
  • 56m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran with a fast cadence and short steps, which kept me around 9:xx-ish on the pace. I was happy with this overall, but boy, I had to pee like a racehorse.

Shortly after I got into the woods I left the path and had to do what I had to do -- didn't care about the others running by (sorry folks).

The run was fine. I did a Gu at about the 3 mile mark and when it hit near the 4-5 mile point, it was night and day. I felt really good coming up onto the track and running the final 440 into the stands.

Not much... given the state of my knee, I was quite pleased overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Minimal stretching against the wall, lots of walking with my boys, looking for Coke and pizza for them..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having my knee scoped and fixed in February

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 1760 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 262/321
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca S3
Course: The course is a out-and-back divided with a rope. You can't see the end from the starting point, so navigation is either 1) follow the rope and swim MUCH further than you need to, or 2) swim in a straight line to a point near the shore, about 1/5 mile out, THEN swim to the end in a straight line. I was pretty good at doing the strain line stuff...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:05 | 22.3 miles | 19.37 mile/hr
Overall: 174/321
Performance: Good
Entire workout (190 watts): Duration: 1:08:49 Work: 784 kJ TSS: 86.2 (intensity factor 0.867) Norm Power: 204 VI: 1.07 Distance: 22.315 mi Min Max Avg Power: 0 531 190 watts Cadence: 45 128 86 rpm Speed: 2.3 35.4 19.5 mph Pace 1:42 26:06 3:05 min/mi Hub Torque: 0 239 70 lb-in Crank Torque: 0 677 196 lb-in
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops around part of Reston. Actually, it's not a bad course. Short, rolling hills with a couple of places to get some good speed if you use your big ring and 11 cog.. The road sucks in some places, but the police and volunteers have their act together for the most part
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:56:12 | 06.21 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 173/321
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling short hills on covered trails throughout Reston.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-13 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2007-09-13 8:49 PM
in reply to: #964272

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon
Nice race!

Great job on the bike - I think most people, myself included, would have freaked if the front derailer had broken.

Edited by docswim24 2007-09-13 8:49 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed