General Discussion Triathlon Talk » numb toes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-14 4:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
Subject: numb toes
hello all

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have noticed that I get numb toes while cycling, or at least a tingle in my toes.

I use shimano bike shoes with carbon soles and spd pedals. The shoes are a size larger than I usually get as per the manufactuer instructions and fit fine in width and length (maybe a tiny bit big in the front end) I've had them for around 3-4 months.

It isn't causing any problem that I know of just wondered if its normal?
Is this because the shoes keep my feet and toes in one position?

Thanks in advance
Jess

2007-09-14 7:58 AM
in reply to: #964467

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: numb toes
Your shoes may be to tight. It happened to me and I loosened them up and the numbness went away.
2007-09-14 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
if you stand on the pedals when your feet go numb does the circulation return?

did you get your bike "fitted" to you?

not being personally familiar with your type shoes I'd say either they are too tight on the top of your foot or maybe something else is getting pinched to cause the numbness. (just guessing)

Edited by G-Moose 2007-09-14 9:20 AM
2007-09-15 5:02 AM

User image

Expert
Jess,

That is an interesting post. You say u notice numbness in your toes Then you also say it isnt a problem. It is pretty simple your toes should not go numb while riding that is a problem. There could be a number of reasons. First, I bet since the shoes are too big you are over compensating by making them too tight. That is just a guess but a logical one.

I would suggest you visit a fitter and have them check your foot placement in the cleat and where your foot is while you pedal. These would all be potential items that might casue what you describe. There are other items like angle and possible uniqueness of your foot which when in the shoe cause your issue.

Check with some friends a find the name of a good fitter in the area that is where I would start. Good luck and let us know how it goes
2007-09-16 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Had the same problem when I first started using cycling shoes. As already mentioned in previous responses, I suspect you have the shoes too tight. I recall one particular ride last summer where my feet went from numb to painful numb, to the point where I needed to stop and take my shoes off. I loosened the cinches towards the toe of the shoe and the pain eventually went away. I also notice that my feet swell during a ride, so I tend to compensate by keeping the shoes loose in the front and have the cinch over the top of the foot modestly tight. I suspect my shoes are too loose, but the numbness problem is gone.

Force
2007-09-16 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
It happens to me too.  I tired moving my cleats and making sure the shoes are not too tight.  I have Shimano shoes too.  The only thing I can think of is that the tounge seems to extend a bit too far out of the shoe into the front crease of my ankle and maybe that is pinching a nerve or cutting circulation.  Does you shoes do the same?

2007-09-16 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
It can also be due to your pedaling technique: do you use the full circle? Keep the heels down? Next time your toes are numb overdo the pulling-up motion and see if that helps.
2007-09-16 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
I just thought I would share my experience, as it is a testiment to the previous posters suggesting bike fit problem.  I have been using my bike Sidi shoes for about 13 months and the first say 6 months I had issues with the numb toes too.  I initially assumed the shoes were too small/not true to size.  After adding aero bars and doing a number of fit adjustments to get it just right, I no longer get numb toes. And I'm finding it feels better and more stable to sinch the top buckle strap tighter.  Go figure.  And, my pedaling technique has improved, so that probably helps a lot too.
2007-09-17 2:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
thanks everyone. I originally said that this isn't a problem because it doesn't cause pain only a strange sensation. I was more curious than concerned but your comments have identified that actually, this could be sympotmatic that something is not quite right somewhere, be it the fit of bike, shoes or pedaling technique.

I had my bike properly fitted when I bought it however, I have booked an assessment with a coach which will include having my bike fit reassesed in the next couple of weeks time. So this should help and in the meantime I will consider my pedaling technique to see if it needs altering, along with loosening the shoes

Thank you for all for your comments
Jess

Edited by jessicadawn 2007-09-17 2:24 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » numb toes Rss Feed