General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon - GA State Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon - GA State Championships - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lavonia, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 49s
Overall Rank = 12/142
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am. Ate oatmeal and fixed coffee. Grabbed my stuff and headed out the door. It was a long ride (I usually stay in a local hotel so I don't have to get up so early), but thankfully Steve drove so I got to sleep for about 30 minutes on the way up there.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, I ran about 1.5 miles. Then I jumped in the lake for a very quick warm up. It was freezing when I got out, so that was pointless as I didn't feel warmed up after waiting around for the start.
Swim
  • 28m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall I felt good on the swim. I tried to draft off some people, but it was difficult to find many people going my pace. That's what I don't like about time trial starts. I made sure to pin my time chip so I didn't have the same problem as last race where it almost came off. So, I was actually able to kick my legs this time. :) The swim felt really long and the last 500 meters was directly into the sun. It made it difficult to site, but I knew if I was heading toward the light, I was going the right way.
What would you do differently?:

Probably use tinted goggles for this race next year. Although, the sun was so bright, I don't know if tinted goggles would help much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

It was a long run up to transition. But I tried running as fast as I could and found my bike easily. Thanks to the guy who brought the bright rainbow towel at the end of my bike row. I quickly put on my shoes & helmet, grabbed my bike, and ran the long way around to the bike exit. I clipped in fast and was on my way.

Nothing. Fastest T1 in AG. 2nd Fastest T1 Overall.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 8s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I borrowed a friend's race wheels, so I was really anxious to see how I would do on the bike. When I headed up the first hill out of transition, I looked down to see my time. I noticed the clock time, but my spedometer was showing zero. I kept hitting different buttons and then realized that I forgot to put my sensor on the new wheels. Damn! I hated not knowing my speed, but I just rode as hard as I could and looked at the clock to judge how well I was doing. I was making good time halfway through. The course was definitely a tough one. The first half seemed to have one uphill after another. Where were the downhills???? My strength is definitely the hills, so I actually enjoyed this course. I passed several girls on the bike and repassed 2 that had passed me early on. I was a little worried that I rode too hard and would be hurting on the run. But I felt strong and had a blast during the last 2 miles when we finally got some downhills. The hills, the scenery, and the other cyclists helped the bike part go by fast.

Put my sensor on my wheel!
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

I quickly slipped my feet out and rode on top of my shoes towards the dismount line. I hopped off my bike quicker than past races and ran around the corner through transition to my spot. Again, thanks for the rainbow towel. I racked my bike, slipped on my shoes, grabbed my visor, belt, and watch and ran out. Then I heard Steve and Chris cheering like crazy which helped motivate me to speed up that first hill.

Nothing. Fastest T2 in AG. 4th Fastest T2 Overall.
Run
  • 44m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great during the first mile and averaged just under 7 min/mile. The hill at mile 2 was rough. But the longer I ran, the better I felt. I drank water at every station and poured some over my head which felt awesome. I loved how I saw so many people throughout the course. My GPS wasn't working much on the course, so I couldn't really tell what my pace was. At mile 3.1, I saw my time was 22 minutes. So I knew I was having a good run. I tried to keep a steady pace and not slow down too much on the hills. As I headed towards the last turn towards the finish, I saw Steve up ahead waiting to cheer me on into the finish line as he always does. I love how he helps me through the last half mile. When I saw him, I knew I only had a little ways to go and that it was all downhill. So I kicked up my speed and sprinted as fast as I could all the way to the finish. I knew every second counts and since it was a time trial start, I had no idea where I stood compared to others in my age group. When I crossed the line, I looked at my watch and clocked my run around 44 minutes! I was so excited. That's the best 10k I've had in a triathlon this season. Considering how tough and hilly the course was, I was so happy.

Nothing. I set a PR today! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to lots of people I knew. I caught up with some old college friends that I haven't seen in years.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hip has been bothering me for the past couple of weeks. It was hurting pretty bad during my warm up run. So, I was nervous it would act up during the race. But for whatever reason, I didn't feel it too much during the run. Maybe I was numb by then. Who knows. But it's definitely been bothering me a lot and has limited my training. I need to get it checked out this week so I don't damage it further. It's probably physical therapy time. :(

Event comments:

I'm so happy with my performance today. It was a tough course...lots of hills on the bike and run. But I had one of my best races this season. I managed to get 2nd in my age group, which totally shocked me since this was the state championship race with lots of good athletes.
Now I know why everyone loves the Tugaloo race. I've heard so many people tell me it's their favorite. It was a very challenging course, but the scenery was great. And the tough course made it even more rewarding once you finished. It was well organized and with good food at the end. GA Multisports once again put on a great race. I will definitely do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:55 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/28
Overall: 28/142
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle course in Lake Hartwell. Blinding sun on the last 500 meters towards the finish.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:08 | 26.1 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 13/142
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly out and back looped course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:27 | 06.21 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 11/142
Course: Very hilly out and back course looping through the park. Some pretty long hills around mile 2, 4, and 5.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-15 1:08 PM

User image

Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon - GA State Championships

2007-09-16 5:44 AM
in reply to: #966151

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon - GA State Championships
Congrats on your PR run. Given the course, you have a right to be happy. Not the easiest course to get a PR.

I agree with your comment on the TT start to the swim. I liked not fighting it out to get to the front in the first 200 yards, but I was seated wrong and had to to do lots of weaving around to get around people. I am divided on it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon - GA State Championships Rss Feed