General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike gurus...I'm clueless and need help. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-24 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: bike gurus...I'm clueless and need help.
Anyone want to help advise me with my bike purchase? I have decided what I want and the LBS is a bit high, now trying to decide about buying a used one on ebay. Almost ever week there is another one or two to consider. I don't know parts, not sure what to ask besides age, mileage, accidents.

The one I'm considering now has 650 wheels. Is that good or bad? It is older and thus cheaper.

If anyone would like help out me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm clueless about parts and trying to save some money. Not sure how much I want to invest into Tri. gear.

Thanks,
Kathy
[email protected]

2004-10-24 2:19 PM
in reply to: #75703

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: bike gurus...I'm clueless and need help.

Sounds like you might need to take a step back and educate yourself a little before pulling the trigger on such a major purchase. Check out the bicycle-related links on this site's home page, particularly these two sites:

http://bayoubicycles.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=63, which is a great primer on buying a road bike, and

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml, which discusses the difference between a road bike and a tri bike.

I would not advise the self-described "clueless" person to buy a bike on ebay. Your LBS will provide invaluable expertise on fit, components, fit, frame materials, fit, adjustment, fit, tires, fit, maintenance and repairs, and (did I mention) fit?

650 wheels could be good, bad or indifferent, depending on the bike, its size and intended usage.

Older should be cheaper, it also may be more likely to fail, more costly to maintain.

Key questions: what do you want a bike for, and what is your budget?

2004-10-24 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I STRONGLY recommend that you reconsider the LBS route. Based on what you are saying below you will be much happier, and it will be money VERY well spent at a LBS. Don't forget that LBS usually have some used bikes for sale - that would be a much better way of getting what you want. Not to mention that a LBS will help keep your bike on the road, through tuneups and adjustments for free (usually). This can easily offset the extra cose from and LBS.

Being the end of the season and all that I am sure that you can get a quality bike, new or used, for close to what you are going to get on ebay. It might take a little bit longer talking to a few LBSes than it does pointing and clicking on ebay. My personal opinion on ebay bikes is that onlt someone with good bike knowledge and repair/maint. ability will be happy purchasing a bike on ebay.

However, to answer your question, usually 650 wheels are used on smaller bike frames to accommodate the steeper seattube that a tri-specific bike has. The heyday of the 650 wheel seems to be prior to the idea of a "cutaway" in the seattube to acommodate the larger wheel. Advantages? Well, I suspect that 650s are lighter, accelerate faster and probably corner better. Disadvantages? 700s will theoretically take less effort over a longer distance, will not slow down as quickly compared to 650s, not to mention that 700s are standard on all road bikes, so parts, tubes, tires and all that are that much easier to come by.

Its been my experience that the bike is the place where you spend the most money when multisporting - and its where the money can be most well spent for beginners. An improperly fitted bike will only frustrate you and prevent you from doing your best, and may just frustrate you out of the sport.

Best of luck to you in whatever your decision is. See you on the course!

Jsargevt

2004-10-24 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I know, I know. It is just that the bike I want to get is now out of my husband's idea of what our price range should be (booo!!) ...buying used gets me the bike I want.

I want to get a Softride bike. I've ridden one a couple of times and it is great, been measured by a fitkit, and know what size I need depending on the model. I have spent about 1.5 hour talking to Softride to verify size, fit and discussing what type of riding I want to do.

The components vary since many people just buy the fork/frame/beam and put different components on it.

Kathy
2004-10-24 6:02 PM
in reply to: #75728

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
So what are your questions?
2004-10-24 6:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
So, your decision is already made.  All you need to do now is to discuss which components to hang on it.  Ask you bike shop owner how much the Softride would cost with Tiara and work your way from there until you reach your "credit" limit.  You can also look around with local bicycling/triathlon clubs to see if any Softride bikes for sale there. 

2004-10-24 9:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA
This is what is on the ebay bike. They don't know how old it is...probably more than 5 years. From the parts, do you have a guess? Is this a flat bike (not good for climbing hills) with 11-23 cassette?

Softride Power Curve 650c Frame
Kestral 1" Threaded 650c Carbon Fork
Mavic Open 4 CD 32 Hole Rims
Selle Italia Flite Saddle
Shimano 175mm Ultegra 600 54/40 Crankset
Look Pedals
Shimano 11-23 8 Speed Cassette
Shimano Ultegra Bar End shifters
Softride Suspension Beam
Ultegra 600 Brakes
Dia-Compe Brake Levers
Topo 1" Threaded to 1 1/8 Threadless converter
Syntace C2 Aero Bar
Suntour Sprint Front Derailleur
Shimano 600 Ultegra 8 Spd Rear Derailleur

What do you think of the components?

I will talk once again with the LBS that sells Softride (gives 20% for tri team members too) ...only one to choose from and see what they say when I tell them we are over the budget. There is a less expensive model Softride suggested that they have $100 off right now.
Kathy
2004-10-24 10:02 PM
in reply to: #75762

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

I would not buy this bike, but that's just me:

Have you been thinking about getting into triathlons but need a bike? The Power Curve is designed for triathlon with aerodynamic positioning and the long distance comfort of a Softride beam. The bikes aluminum frame is efficient and fast while the Flite saddle and Softride beam keep even the roughest roads at bay. The bike is at least 5 years old. It has been upgraded with a carbon fork as well as larger 40/54 tooth chainrings. The bike has surface oxidation in the paint around the frame fittings from use. There are several scratches and chips on the rear triangle of the bike. The headset feels pitted and will need to be replaced for top performance. The rear brake cable needs to be replaced as the housing is worn. Both tires are worn as well. Overall the bike is in good condition. It will ride out of the box once assembled. Please email me with any questions or if you need further photos.

2004-10-25 11:48 AM

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA

If you are a bike mechanic...  like I once was, and the price was to "die for" than a bike like this may be ideal.  If you know little about bikes, then I would steer away from this.  It sounds like it needs some work.  Pitted headset?  I wonder it that "pit" is where the rider hit a curb or grate and stretched the head tube?  It might be slight, but are you willing to gamble?  The rest of the stuff is replaceable.  But the bike is 5 years old.  There may be more that is needed than described. 

Be wary.  I would steer you towards a LBS.  If they have used, or last years model (we are approaching the end of the year) you might be in luck, and much much happier in the long run.

Good Luck

2004-10-25 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Given the specs on the bike, and the fact that you don't seem to have a lot of knowledge about bikes (no offence intended) I'd have to advise you to look elsewhere. as others have pointed out, it's an old bike with some known problems. If you 're confident enough in your mechanic-ing abilities, you could probably fix what's wrong with it, but if you have to pay to have those repairs made, you may have just cancelled out any savings you made by buying it used, and you will have an old bike with no warranty. 
2004-10-25 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Ultegra 600 is Shimano's first generation of integrated shift/brake levers. In other words . . . it's old. The problem with having old components on your bike is that if a shift lever breaks (which they do after a certain amount of use), you have to replace a lot of stuff (everything is now 9 or 10 speed and not compatible with 8 speed parts) including your shift levers, chain, and cassette unless you can find parts on e-bay or something. I'm not a bike mechanic, so I woudn't have a clue what I'd need for a repair. What you save in buying an older bike may all be negated if it ends up requiring a lot of repairs.

(P.S. My husband bought a bike on eBay and got totally hosed. And it just so happened that the bike had Ultegra 600 shifters! We ended up spending $400 just to get the bike rideable, so I'd never buy a bike that I haven't seen and ridden ever again. So, I may be a little biased!!)

2004-10-25 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with most of the replies.  Buying on e-bay is chancy enough without compounding that witht he purchase of a very old bike bearing ancient components.  Keep shopping around at your local bike store and your local bike/tri clubs for a second-hand but not overly ancient Softride with fairly recent components.
2004-10-25 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Thanks everyone...I'm going to pass on this softride. I kept thinking if I could get it really cheap....it might give me a year to decide if I want to get a new more expensive bike.

I have a couple leads on other softrides and will talk again with the bike shop.

Kathy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike gurus...I'm clueless and need help. Rss Feed