Georgia Multisports
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Actually stayed in a hotel this time rather than get up at 4 AM and drive out!
Event warmup:

Didn't dare do a swim warmup because I am one of the slow swimmers who starts in the back and it was a brisk morning and I didn't want to stand in line and shiver.

Chatted with Leslie and made small talk with the other racers.
Swim
  • 38m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Red Caps and Red Bouys made life pretty rough for me and the rest of us who wear glasses. I actually swam better than I ever remember but I was literally blind the last 500 meters. Was that perfect time of morning when the water is basically a mirror. It was overcast yesterday so I brought clear goggles. They worked great until the last part.

My worst 1500 meter ever was 35 minutes before the last two races. I really worked hard these last three weeks to trying to get better. Either this guy can't mark 1500 meters or I have lost some fitness. I have also lost 20lbs and I don't seem to float as well!!

Coming out of the swim we had to hurdle this small partition and, of course, I tripped on it and drove my patella right into the concrete. Ended up being a pretty bad bruise that smarted the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe tinted goggles and develop some better swimming technique.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Spent about 3 minutes in T1 making sure my knee wasn't screwed up. By the time I got to my bike it was bleeding like crazy.

Pack a flask of scotch and keep it in my bento box!!!
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 26.1 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought this was a pretty tough course, got down to 10mph on a couple of the hills. I still freak out at anything faster than 25mph so I don't really take advantage of the downhills as much as some folks. In the middle of the course there was a very long rolling section that was pretty easy and you could make up some time.

My knee was KILLING me during the first 15 miles and I was favoring one leg. The all of the sudden, it just stopped hurting altogether! Go figure. I had a hard time pushing down with my left leg and the downhills made life a little easier.

Was a little timid after seeing a few bad wrecks. Improve confidence in the aero position.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 55m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran pretty well, best run I have had in a multisport event. Was, like the bike, a very hilly course that really tested you. I saw a lot of really good athletes walking and that scared me a little. Never walked, wanted to break 55 but my previous best in a multisport event was 58 minutes so at a minimum I beat my PR by two minutes.

Not much, Knee smarted a little on the downhills but I wouldn't say it had any effect. I did have to make a pit stop that cost me about 55 seconds....
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Literally limped from the lake to T1, took my knee awhile to settle down. Aside from that, was a perfect day for a triathlon.

Event comments:

As always, very well organized and tons of great volunteers. Great warmup for SC HIM.

Last updated: 2007-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:00 | 26.1 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Very hilly course (in my experience), lots of hills to really push you. I saw about four wrecks, two of them pretty bad.... Scenery was very nice! You share the road with drivers and a couple of them laid on their horns....that was a drag.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:30 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-15 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2007-09-16 4:17 PM
in reply to: #966219

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon
Ouch! Way to get past the fall and PR the run. .

Congrats on a good looking race.

c
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed