Wisconsin Triathlon Series
33F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 22s
Overall Rank = 50/735
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 3/45
Pre-race routine:

Goal is to beat Last Year and should do better in run and bike, swim will be tuff but hoping for a 6:30-6:45 split.Goal is to go 1:27, and hoping for "A" Goal of 1:25:27

2006 1:28:53
Swim 6:06
Bike 53:06
Run 26:11

AND YES I KNOW THIS IS 6 DAYS AFTER I DID IRONMAN WISCONSIN!!!!!
Event warmup:

It wa frosty out. I had to scrape the windshield to get going this morning. I actually went outsid ein the trisuit and wet suit to see the feel before I left - Not bad for 30's (no wind0 Picked up Travis on the way and we were ther about 6:45. we registered and grabbed our stuff. We gota great parking spot in the front lot and was easy to just get set up and go.

For wramup I shivered for about 40 mins. I even had trouble getting my swim cap on cause I was shivering. For breakfast I had 4 endurolytes - 2 at wake up and 2 an hour prior - which saved me later. I had a Marathon Bar and Boost. Then 20 min pre race I Torch'd.

We heard the race speech barely and finalized oll the gear for the day. Trying to keep warmer stuff ready.

Off to the wave start area and Had a Gu 3 waves before mine. Never really did anything other than bouncing to warm up, I thought about peeing myself to warm up, but actually used the toilet.
Swim
  • 07m 8s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Almost Perfect! I seeded myself in the first row in the middle. Thought since I was going to swim this one this year I should be in a better spot. The horn went and off went everyone running - I just power walked in and lost a little time to people, but this did not send the HR soaring and it is a 90 min race why blow up in 10 secs.

People pulled ahead of me but I was not worried, I just waited until everyone ahead of me was swimming then dove in and sprinted to the buoy. I hit the buoy perfectly, just off the left shoulder. Then I sprinted a bit and settled into a long strong stroke. I kept up with the pack ahead of me by drafting a bit, then half way thru I started to drop the pack. I saw and felt them slide back. I kept powering forward (I guess being able to swim 3 miles straight helps).

About half way thru I also caught the end of wave 8 by the buoy caught the main pack of wave 8 and ran out with tail end of wave 7. It was a great swim. I was the first one out (so I thought cause I hit the rack and NO ONE was there) I found out later someone got out 30 secs before me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, maybe swim harder to try to gain a few seconds, but 32 overall is great. I hit both buoys with the left shoulder and came out feeling good.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Did well, but not great, was trying to put on to many clothes - socks, underarmour, arm warmers, tri top, glasses, helmet, blah blah blah. I just tossed the underarmour and wnet tri top arm warmers. Much easier with knee bands than old knee brace. Grabbed stuff and ran.

Go lighter on the gear and wear the top under the suit as always. I did run the whole thing and it felt good, did move well but just stumbled on wetsuit, UA top and tri top and arm warmers(glad I rolled them)

i ran out of transition and put in my left foot - due to past shoe foot troubles while riding.
Bike
  • 50m 45s
  • 15.44 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

So this started Great ! I actually slid into the shoes and did not lose one for the first time all yaer (minus IM cause I strapped into shoes pre ride) I was excited and hit the burner to tear out of ther. At the first turn - Bump over the tracks and out popped the water bottle. I thought I might have lost the one withthe bike gear - nope - lost the hydration. So turned around to get it cause it was all I had for the day. It hit the ground and exploded. Hydration poured out for my dead homies.

So I wasted about 10-15 secs there and just hammered out from that point. Out to the first hill and up we go. I passed a lot of people on the first one. It was great having the new ride - Darth Vader and so named by Travis for it's all black appeal. The force took me quickly up the hill. I got to the top with little problem - just odd when getting out of the saddle. I zoomed up to the big climb and away we went for a few miles. I just kept pluggin away to hit the top. So after it all I checked the Garmin - 15mph at the end of the climbs! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeawwwwwesome!!

I can fly down and make it faster. So I soared down to the turn around, which is very tight, and I did alone thank goodness. So I started back up to the peak and passed quite a few people walking their bikes, I encourage a few to keep it up and congrat's theose who rode - with a "nice climb" And Liftoff- I never pedaled until the turn. I did not need to at 40+ mph for about a mile. I cautiously hit the turn and off I went again. Rolled thru about 2-3 miles until mile 10 and the floor drops out again. I passed a lot of people pedaling, i was not. The only bump was the guy who i called left to and he stayed in the middle of the road and no one was to his right. I finally got past him after the quick left right turn EEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW Phil ended up at this turn. Great to see him on the course. Such a great guy - he volunteers at the last minute. Great spot for the Donkai.

I took off again and kept pushing it with the thought of cramps or something from lack of hydration and electrolytes. This is when I start torealize the importance of the mornings endurolytes - they really saved me now. So I hit one last Gu about mile 13 when we turn into the last good climb. It never went down quite right cause I was dry and had no H2O to wash it down.

Still exploded up the final hill, could have been better, but knew after it I could ride it into the park no problem. And that I did just flew in and unstrapped the shoes predismount

NOT LOSE MY HYDRATION!!!!
Ride the bike before I actually race it.
Go harder!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Good T2 - moved quickly to the rack, got it on fast and shoes ready quickly. Could have been faster but not bad. I was 33 secs slower from last year, but last year did not have to change shoes at all.

run a bit faster with bike, but not much, it went well
Run
  • 23m 31s
  • 3.04 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahh yes, my "favorite" part - the RUN!!!! The best thing today was - It was only 3 miles. I just did 26.2 - six days ago. This is SHORT. So I came out of transition and tried to drink water, but could not get it in easily and lost most of it. Off I went. I actually ran ot the end of the park exit. And felt decent! So I kept running , into the park and down the hill. Along the way I saw sgoehner and hi fived him (it was hi for him and shoulder height for me) EEEEEAAAAWWWW"s were exchanged and he told me Travis was just ahead. So I kept pushing until the first lil climb in the camp area. Had to walk a bit to stretch out the legs, but actually felt better to run, so quick turnover and short strides up the hill. Walked a few step- agian felt better to run. Ran again. I saw Travis up ahead.

Near the turnaround. He and I were face to face - Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeawwwwwwwww and hi five (really this time) but we missed hands and nearly tore off our arms with a good fore arm shiver to each other (glad I M 40 lbs heavier on this one). I kept runnign thinking it would be cool to catch him and run it in. I hit the water station and tried to drink- nope breathing too hard just caused me to shoot it back out. So walked a few steps and got in about 2 oz and took off again.

Ran to the next uphill, walked a few steps until flat, and ran it in. I watched the Garmin and told my self I would keep the good pace until 1/3 mile to go. Hit htat last 3rd and tried to push it. I n the final chute, I went as hard as I could. I saw Travis but he was too far ahead. NO matter it was a GREAT run - I actually PR'd the 5K distance. My last PR was 24:30 in a stand alone 5K 3 years ago. I absolutely shocked myself here.

BTW_ I never had a HR reading the whole day - it just did not work. I wonder what I actually hit today. Good thing it was cool today a hot day would have destroyed me.

I am still stumped on my time . . . can't think of anything that would have made me faster. Can't believe I M talking about a sub 24min 5K
Post race
Warm down:

I Walked and Hacked up 4 lungs after. I told the guy for timing chips to let me walk I'll be right back. I just was Spent!!! I felt awful. but it was nice to go fast. Eventually the body settled in and took a few pics. Ate some food, I mean inhaled some food. Talked with sgoehner and Phil (1stTime Tri) then ran off to get back to the Wilderness tocheck out

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Loss of Hydration and turning around to get it.

Event comments:

It was a great race, and great to see everyone ther. I was proud to see Travis's improvements from Elkhart Lake to today. Great to see other fellow Donkai and enjoyed returning to this course. I plan on returning next year to improve again.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Last updated: 2007-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:08 | 440 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 32/735
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: point to point "U" with short arms
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:45 | 15.44 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 35/735
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with a camels hump in between. Hilly out - Lots of climbing for the first 5 miles, then down a mile and turn around to up that mile. Then ROARING down to the right turn. 3miles to ile 10 when you just FLY down for about 2 miles, then a steep climb to Park entrance and down again
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:31 | 03.04 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/45
Overall: 207/735
none
Course: Out and back - with rollers
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-15 5:01 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

2007-09-15 5:04 PM
in reply to: #966258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
GREAT RACE CHRIS!!!! You absolutely ROCKED the run! Maybe we should call YOU donkey wind! The new bike is really cool too.
2007-09-15 5:29 PM
in reply to: #966260

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Nice race Chris and it was really nice to meet you today. Very nice work, now TAKE IT EASY, you are making us all look bad.
2007-09-15 7:03 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Great new wheels you put together, and I love the carrot arms!  I have to buy me a set.

I was glad I stopped by and caught you guys and brayed at you on the bike course.

What a nice way to end the season with those times.

EEEAAAWWW!!

2007-09-15 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Excellent race! I can't believe you did this a week after Ironman. You are a donkey god. Eeee aaaaw.
2007-09-15 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
I have to give you a lot of credit.  I was at the lake today climbing and it was freezing this morning.  I had ice on my tent this morning.  Nice job!

2007-09-15 10:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Great job racing in the freezing temps......gotta admit I don't know if I could do a race when it's as cold as it was today! Really amazing you did this 6 day after your IM, sounds like serious dedication to me.
2007-09-16 12:10 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Completely certifiable
2007-09-16 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Redonkulous.  Seriously dood.  I haven't done anything since Moo!!  Going to do a short easy spin today but you take the cake for crazy.  Nice work!
2007-09-16 7:51 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
RR is complete! Thanks everyone for your input - even those accusing me of insanity!
2007-09-16 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race Chris! I guess no sense in letting all that fitness go to waste...and you sure didn't. Crazy? yes, but very impressive.

2007-09-16 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
After last week, this must have seemed like... well, a SPRINT, huh? Great race. I just can't decide which is crazier-- doing a race the week after an IM, or doing a race in that crazy cold. So I'll just think of you as DOUBLE CRAZY.
2007-09-17 8:48 AM

User image

Holy run Batman! Nice work donkey, does that mean you're a runner know. Seriously, nice work on the run. Now will you relax a bit?
2007-09-17 9:01 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

One of the coolest things was to be able to volunteer at the last second and have a spot where I would be able to see some great bike manuevering - flying down a long descent and then having to apply the brakes and go into a sharp left.  How can anyone have more fun?

Seeing Travis and you coming down that hill was fantastic, and then braying made it complete for me.

I hoped you warmed up by now because you guys were shivering quite a bit.

There was a girl that came down the hill and said "That is soooo cold going through there".  Well, yeah, since she didn't have any long sleeves or long pants on and it wasn't the warmest morning!

Take care.

EEEAAAWWWWW!!!!  YOU ARE BEYOND AN IRONMAN!! 

2007-09-17 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
haha you are nuts...and awesome!! what a great race. picture perfect? i cant wait to see the darth vader in person, let me know if youre hittin the roads any morning this week! bye irondonks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed