United States
Wisconsin Triathlon Series
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 207/735
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/84
Pre-race routine:

try to keep warm!! Holy crap it was cold.... first checked to see if we needed to try to chip the ice off the lake, but I couldn't see any SOLID ice.

Rode in with triDDS, had a bagel, got signed in, then set up transition. Walked around a bit with the i-pod, again just trying to keep warm. Talked to a couple of donkeys (sgoehner, triDDS, 1stTimeTri) and a few friends outside of BT (yeah, I acutally DO have friends who are not in BT - they are few and far between, but they are there)
Event warmup:

Nothing really. I guess I had a little bit of a warm-up when I ran my wedding ring back to my transition bag right before my wave went off. As I came running back, my wave was already lined up at the beach, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about messing up the swim.
Swim
  • 08m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

actually the swim was my favorite part of today (NEVER thought I'd say that) once I could get my face in the water. I tried to start swimming almost right at the beach, but when I tried to put my face in, it was like my face and the water were magnets repelling each other. I then also realized I was WAAAYYY too far right (for a left hand turn) - so I got back into a little better position and finally got my face to stay in the water the way it was supposed to be.

Turned the first bouy, and started my "rhythm singing" (99 bottles of beer on the wall). Breathing on left side only, and actually catching people. About every 6 pack, I tried to look up to see how far I was shifting off course. Funny thing was, almost every time I looked up, the bouy was getting closer, AND IT WAS STILL IN FRONT OF ME!! Took the second bouy about 6" off my left shoulder, and even used a slingshot past someone coming around the corner as they went wide as I tried to cut the corner. It actually worked! Came back to the beach, and looked pretty funny running/walking out of the water (I'm just a goofy looking guy). Then ran up around into transition (actually had energy to run after the swim - another thing that has never happened before - usually I am dead tired when I come out of the water, and try to use the start of the bike to try to regroup).
What would you do differently?:

I guess nothing, really - started out on the far right side, and was intending on staying outside, but as I started passing people, I just came into more of a direct line towards the bouy (I am figuring I'll never be able to say again how straight I swam, so I'm going to bask in that fact for just a bit.....)
Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

I think I took a nap, AGAIN(!), in transition. My T1 was almost the same time as my swim!!! That just ain't right. I guess I need to move my butt in transition as well - seem to have issues with that. Now beginning to realize that maybe it's important to try working on that as well. Transition not good. Because it was so cold outside, I tried to make sure I dried off as well as I could.

Go much faster in here. I really suck at transitions, particularly T1 (see previous races - same thing).

Forgot to take a Gu at beginning of bike (though with the time I spent in T1, you would have thought I cooked myself some eggs, bacon, and had a cup of coffee)
Bike
  • 55m 54s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Lost a couple minutes when my chain fell off at the turn around point. There were some really big hills - did well with chain and shifting on that part, then when it's easy, on a flat turn around, THEN my chain falls off... seems like I do things just a little backwards. Didn't get off the bike, though which was nice. Saw a LOT of people walking their bikes along. Passed a few expensive bikes, which was also cool.

On a few of the downhills, because it was so cold, my cheeks/face felt like it did when I was freefalling when parachuting. It was a weird feeling, and I laughed inside just a little.

1stTimeTri was at a turn as volunteer on the bike course - gave the big ol' EEEAAAWWWW!!! which was motivating.... thanks Phil!

Since I only drank about 2 ounces of gatorade on the entire 15 mile bike, I guess I would probably try to have better fluid/nutrition intake (need to work on that for next year)
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

again, not a very good transition. Someone had put their bike basically right where mine was supposed to be, so I had to do a little re-arranging before I could change shoes. Actually took helmet off last.

AND forgot about the GU, again.... (still 2 Gu's sitting at transition)

do better in transition. I just suck in transition.
Run
  • 24m 21s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is when nutrition came back to bite me. I didn't have much left in the tank. I guess I probably could have pushed harder, but I just didn't. Saw both sgoehner AND triDDS (who absolutely kicked A$$ in the run) - gave high fives to each (nearly took my arm off with triDDS as we missed hands - ended up hitting wrists and forearms. He's just a little bigger than me, so I ended up running sideways a few steps trying to regain balance).

I did finish in a full sprint, though, as I was coming down the final chute and saw the time clock at 1:59:55, and wanted to finish in under 2 hours (forgot that the time clock was from the actual start of the whole race) -- well, that..... AND the fact that I had to go to the bathroom since the start of the bike.....

have better nutrition so I could run a little faster. I wanted to go faster, and my legs wanted to go faster, but the rest of my body said "not so sure if that's such a good idea." That's probably the only regret I have on the actual movement part of the race today.
Post race
Warm down:

stopped and tried not to knock anyone over, as the sprint finish was right next to another guy who was sprinting, too.... then went to the bathroom....... aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh........ much better now.....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

probably nutrition - AND transitions..

Event comments:

Event was good -- I probably could have done a little better, but such is life. This is probably the 'most happy' I have been with a triathlon (now that I have a whole 4 of them under my belt - 1 of which was indoors).

It was awesome to have a couple of donkey's in the race, and also cheering on. The EEEAAAAAWWWWW's are like a little burst of adrenaline. Sandi was taking pictures, and parents came down to watch. Good times, good times.

Now I have some time before next race, which will probably be Florida 70.3 series next May.... lots of time to improve on the swim distances and transitions.

Last updated: 2007-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:48 | 440 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 35/84
Overall: 0/735
Performance:
Suit: Heck yeah!
Course: out to bouy (which could almost be walked to), turn left, go to next bouy and turn left again to get back out of the water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:54 | 15 miles | 16.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/84
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: uuuuhhhhh..... hilly??
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:21 | 03 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/84
Performance: Below average
Course: pretty much flat. A few little hills, but nothing major.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-15 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

2007-09-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: #966279

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
Good job out there today, it is a lot more fun when I know people out there. I was going to ask you how breakfast was in T1 after I saw your results online, but I figured you may have just needed to take a nap or something Seriously though, good seeing you again and we need to meet up and do some hill work before I do that race again.
2007-09-15 7:07 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You were flying down that hill pretty dang fast!!!  I had to make sure that you wouldn't wipe anyone out!

Thanks for the pics, again!  It's always great to meet you guys.

Nice job today and stay warm!  BRRRR!!!

2007-09-15 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
Great job, I was there camping and them we did some climbing and I will verify that it was very very cold (we had ice on our tent in the morning). 
2007-09-15 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Congrats on beating the cold to have a good race! Those conditions must have really sucked, but you gutted it out. Congrats!
2007-09-16 12:13 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
EEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!  Crazy

2007-09-16 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Great job Travis!

2007-09-18 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK
EEEEEEEAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Top race action anniversary Donkey Brother. I think you should pitch the idea of a cooking program set in T1 to some TV execs. A nice combination of lifestyle and sports which would have both Mr & Mrs watching. Just an idea.
2007-09-18 11:49 AM
in reply to: #968819

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
I think that may be a good idea.... hmmmm "Tea Time in T1 with Travis"... It can be a show about healthy options that can be prepared in less than 5 minutes and 11 seconds. I see someone in the transition area, explaining what the food is, cutting it, and preparing it as I am in the background.... first falling over because my wetsuit is stuck on my heels, then struggling to get my tri-top on because I'm wet and the tri-top is dry, then the trouble with getting my gloves on...... yep, I can see it now..... at the very end, the cook can give me the food he/she just prepared, and I'll bike off out of the transition area... GREAT concept..... (my mind just goes off on a tangent every once in a while..)
2007-09-18 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Nice race...it had to be cold.  And you know this, but I have to repeat it.  Transitions are FREE time, take advantage of them!

Great season for you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed