Greenville, Texas
United States
Greenville YMCA
Total Time = 3h 35m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got everything ready the night before, so all I had to do was wake up, get dressed, and eat. Had a coffee, bagal w/ peanut butter, and some water. When Raegan and I got to Greenville, i had an Ensure, too. I did not sleep well at all, and we went to bed WAY to late- 12:00am. So, I was pretty tired and wondering how I was going to ride my longest distance yet. My stomach felt blah from the bagel, too. i just have a hard time eating so early in the morning.
Event warmup:

We met up with Chris, Maurice and Kelley. We then circled the couthouse to try to find Clint, Gina, and Ashley (aestrix). We knew Clint was there because we talked to him for a little bit at our car as we were unloading, but he left to go find Gina. We looked for Ashley around the courthouse, but because we had never met her we weren't sure who we were looking for. We just looked for other tri bikes. We finally saw Clint and Gina at the start, but they took off fast.
Bike
  • 3h 35m 1s
  • 63.78 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best (and longest) long ride yet! The pace felt good, and at a good hr. Basically, Chris, Raegan, Maurice, Kelley, and I all kind of rode together, until we all started to split up the last 15 or so miles. We stopped at a couple of the rest stops, and refueled.

The Leonard Hills really were not that spectacular of hills. The last one was the largest, but i was still able to stay in my big ring and climb out of the saddle. I could have shifted down so that I could easily spin up it, but I really needed a saddle break! :) You essentially had the momentum of one hill to get you up most of the next one.

The worst part of the ride (when I started to have some doubts about the ride) was on the stretch of road that was just a straight shot on rough roads into a strong headwind. This was about 18 miles (according to the route map) of pure hell! Raegan pulled Kelley and I through this section. If he hadn't I just might have given up (not really- but it wasn't fun). After we turned the corner in Wolf's City, we got on nice smooth roads. It was such relief to get out of the headwind that I got my second wind and felt GREAT! This part was energizing for me. I picked up my pace, until I looked behind me and saw Raegan starting to fade. He had started the ride off with depleted energy stores from a stomach bug the night before and had endured the brunt of the headwind, so he was running on empty. So, I would slow down and wait for him to make sure he was alright, and then surge ahead again (I just couldn't help it, because I was feeling awesome.) Then, I would slow down to check on him again. We did this the rest of the ride until there was three miles left and we rode together. I was a little pumped up on endorphins towards the end. Raegan said it was like I had just had three cups of Starbucks coffee. :) It had just been sooo long for one of my long rides to feel so good. I felt like I could have continued on. (I think I'm still pumped from it!)
What would you do differently?:

Ride a route that doesn't have a headwind for sooooooo long! :)
Post race
Warm down:

No, warm down for us. We couldn't even stick around and chat with Maurice, Kelley, Chris, Clint, and Gina. We had to get back pronto so that our babysitter could get onto another job. Unfortunately, we didn't even have time to grab any of the post food. We had to wait until we got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headwind

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Biking
03:35:01 | 63.78 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR avg- 158, Max HR- 186 Good HR avg- stayed mainly in my zone 2 for most of the ride.
Wind:
Course: Country roads and highways starting and ending in Greenville.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Cotton Patch Classic

2007-09-16 7:36 PM
in reply to: #966759

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Cotton Patch Classic
Good to hear you enjoyed the ride so much.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat any more than we did.
2007-09-16 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice job Sue, good training ride for Longhorn. We are looking forward to seeing you all next month in Austin! We are staying at the Doubletree and taking our kiddos!
2007-09-17 7:43 AM

User image

Good ride SS!!  Sorry I bonked on you at the end and trashed our average.  I think you were good for another 40 miles!!!
2007-09-17 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Sorry I never found you guys!  But like you said, it's kind of hard to look for people you don't really know Smile  Sounds like you had an awesome ride - well done!  I completely agree with you about that miserable straight-away with the headwind... boy was that killer!  Hopefully we'll have more success meeting up in the future!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cotton Patch Classic Rss Feed