General Discussion Race Reports! » Michigan's Triathlon & Duathlon Championship - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Michigan's Triathlon & Duathlon Championship - Sprint Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waterford, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate this morning, then dressed for more of a winter race than a end of summer/early fall race
Event warmup:

Just kept the layers on then went right to the wetsuit and water.
Swim
  • 10m 32s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Im not truly a sissy about the water, I grew up on lakes, and early morning water skiing up until you had to take the boat out of the water in october, etc. This was cold! They said 68, but im not sure about that. It did get warmer the further out you got. So anyways... Once we were off I was fine, but with probably about 200 meters left we not only were running over all the slower athletes in the our wave, but the male wave to, and then just generally hitting the wave before us. I weaved alot, had to turn alot, etc. Not a big deal, but they sent us out in two waves, 35+, 34 under, so they could have given a little more time I think. Other then that, it was fine, I would hope for better as last race of the season, and a sprint. BUT, part my fault I have only swam once or twice in over a month and the same for bike, and short duration. So I was rusty.
What would you do differently?:

Should have kept up a little on the bike/swim after the HIM
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Okkkk, i dont know what Im doing in transition that is taking me so long this season. For some reason Im coming in more confused and out of sorts then previously.

FOCUS ALREADY!
Bike
  • 40m 26s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.81 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course wasnt too bad. But EEEEK, this was the first race at this venue, and they have two big things to work on on the bike course. One was a very dangerous corner where traffic was very backed up, but NO, and i mean white line only shoulder to try and pass the waiting cars on. Had to swerve into the oncoming traffic at one point just to not be on the dirt/gravel which was equally as not safe. THen on the approach back in, you actually go off the road onto a patch of grass and up onto a very narrow sidewalk. Defenitely no passing, and if you dont biff on the bump up to the sidewalk, its slow moving in to the transition. Not necessarily the best ideal, but otherwise the course was nice actually.

Other then that I did fairly good. I was a little numb from the cold morning and swim. So it took a while for the feet to warm. Again, switching to pretty much 95% running for the last month or so, I wasnt sure how I would do. Id like to go faster for a sprint. I guess once I stop working on long course stuff, Ill go for the fast. Id love to be fast again
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

again, slower then I would like. Thats all I have to say

FOCUS
Run
  • 27m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a little winded from the bike, and realized that yup, my feet were still numb. So the first mile was kind of hard on the feet until they got the warm blood flowing again. After that I was just trying to hold under 9 min pace, hopefully lower, but I wasnt sure how fatigued the legs still were from Thursday. I would have liked to averaged 830 miles, and I saw no reason why I shouldnt at this point.

Speedwork one day
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back out and to the last stretch of hte run to cheer in my dad, hubby and sister in to the finish. Now that was really fun to watch :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a)speedwork, b) no bike or swim time since the HIM. THats pretty well it. Id like to get to 1:20. I felt good on finishing though, and was still holding a somewhat of a convo with my training partner and didnt push myself to feeling like puke point. So who knows, maybe I could have given a little more.

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:32 | 500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:26 | 12 miles | 17.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:41 | 03.11 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Performance:
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Michigan's Triathlon & Duathlon Championship - Sprint Distance

2007-09-17 5:59 PM
in reply to: #966771

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Michigan's Triathlon & Duathlon Championship - Sprint Distance

You did excellant!

Congrats~

You did do some amazing training this week so you weren't your freshest...but still you nailed the race...and finished with a great run split! 

2007-09-17 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Kellc09 - Good report. I feel your pain about the kinks in that race. I was nearly stopped at that traffic backup and then went onto the gravel and almost bit it. That might be the coldest tri we ever do. I also had frozen feet for over half the run. Hopefully you go to enjoy the good food post race.

Rick
2007-09-17 7:17 PM
in reply to: #968454

User image

Master
Great race! You ranked great overall! Agree with the traffic backups. Both times at Andersonville and Nelsey I followed othercyclists up the middle of the road. Know it wasn't the safest, but riding on the narrow shoulder wasn't that much different. I wore socks on the cycling segment and I'm glad.
2007-09-17 7:27 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
awesome!   you did very well considering....3d is not known for great races, they always seem to have issues.  and wow, the water must been FREEZING!!
2007-09-18 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Good job on the race everyone!

I noticed the traffic backups in a bad way heading out on the bike for the Oly, on my return leg at Andersonville and Nelsey or whatever the heck it was, they had placed cones along the right side of the road to give cyclist an area to cruise right through and had traffic stopped for me. Did they have the cones up for you guys/gals? Seemed to work when I hit that area, so maybe they were adjusting to the problems after you cruised through.

Then at Nelsey and Maceday, just before getting to the stop sign I saw the volunteer step out and stop traffic, and I took the whole lane up as a pickup was coming up behind me, but seemed to be patient and holding back so I buzzed through without slowing down.

Nothing worse then having to stop during a race when your busting your butt!

2007-09-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: #968825

User image

Master
I think they were supposed to have cones at that intersection. I can't remember if they did or not when I went through. They may have had some but if so they didn't go back far enough. I actually think 3D did a good job organizing the event for the first time. I think that they did not fully understand the level of traffic coming through ahead of time. Inexcusable really but as I've said somewhere else, the cars were very good about hanging back and not passing in an unsafe manner.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Michigan's Triathlon & Duathlon Championship - Sprint Distance Rss Feed