Dallas Athletes
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 36/53 F
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15. I had had a stomach bug 24 hours before, so I was glad to wake up feeling fine. We got the rest of the items into the car and then scooped the kids up in the dark and hoped they would go back to sleep. Unfortunately, they stayed awake for most of the trip, but Ryan did doze off after a while because it took us an hour to get there!

I drank my usual instant breakfast before we left, ate a bagel on the way which I had to force myself to eat as my stomach wasn't quite 100%, and ate a banana just before heading to the swim start. All worked well.

Event warmup:

I set up in transition and got a run warm-up but didn't have time for a bike warmup like I wanted. I then headed to the beach for a swim warmup which went well. The only downside was the race started 30 minutes late, so I was going to get cool if I got out of the water because of the breeze. Fortunately, they didn't kick us out of the water, so I just hung out in there until my start.
Swim
  • 32m 32s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out ok, but I quickly fell back from the pack. There weren't many in my age group, so there weren't many left to hang with. I had an extreme difficulty finding the first turn buoy. We had the shorter style buoy to look for, and it just seemed non-existent for a long time. A lifeguard raft also drifted in my path to help someone and confused me as well in my quick siting. After the turn, I did find someone to draft off of, and the time passed much more quickly. After the second turn, she veered off course, so I used the finish to site. It seemed to go ok. I also finally got my arms pulling stronger by this point.

My breathing was erratic. Sometimes 2 strokes, sometimes 3. I was just trying to stay calm and not let my HR soar out of recovery. I did whatever seemed comfortable at the time, but I didn't stick only with 2 strokes as that makes me even more off course!
What would you do differently?:

Practice open-water swimming more. There weren't many opportunities this year. Also need to work on "finding still water" better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Long uphill run to the transition area. Took it slow but did run. I didn't want to get my HR up as there was so much race left! Forgot to have my watch search for the HR strap while I ran, so I had to set that after I got on the bike. Since most of the swimmers came out ahead of me or were men in the earlier wave, my bike was easy to find in the desolate transition area. Good thing, as I hadn't practiced coming to my rack from the far side. The transition was not marked where the swimmers would be coming in, and I guessed wrong. The volunteers didn't know either, as I had asked before the race started.

Good mount and start to the bike.

Set HR on my watch while running to transition.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 35s
  • 23.18 miles
  • 16.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode this course with caution on my speed. I wanted to average 16mph, but I wanted to not push too hard so I had enough left for the run, my biggest concern. I was excited to see I hit 36 mph on a big downhill, though!

For nutrition, I took two water bottles, one accelerade bottle, and one pack of Cliff Blocks. It was more water than needed, but I was happy with all of the choices. I did lose one Cliff Block, though, when it stuck to one I pulled from the bag. It unstuck itself at just the wrong moment and fell to the ground.

I started to feel tired with about 4 miles to go. I was fatigued from the rough road and ready to begin the challenge of the run. I came into transition with a 16.1 mph average, so I was pleased with that. I am sure that was slow compared to others on this course, but I am ok with that. My challenge was to just finish.
When I first got onto the main road out of the park, I felt like I was out there all by myself. There was just no one around, and there wasn't any return traffic either. I started to see more as I past one of the legs the half-iron athletes came out from.

Push just a bit harder now that I know I can finish. It is also harder to keep pushing when there is little traffic. I will try to keep my concentration and speed in tact in those cases.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

So glad to see my and Teri's families and as I came to the dismount line. Came off of the bike slowly and walked a few steps. I picked up the pace when Greg hollered to get going!

Lost my rack spot and had to hunt for it. I got the right rack but just couldn't find the spot. It was further down than I had remembered. I switched shoes quickly and grabbed the belt and hat to assemble on the run.

David ran with Alexa to meet me at the run exit, and that was wonderful to see as I was heading out on the hardest part of the race for me. Guess it was good I lost my rack, or they wouldn't have made it around!

Mark my spot with one of those wired flowers if I am in a sea of bikes?
Run
  • 1h 03m 30s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

A very good run for me! My pace after the first mile was sub 10:00, but I thought it had been 9:14 as my watch autolapped after 1 mile of transition plus course. That encouraged me to keep going fast, though! Mile 2 seemed noticeably downhill which is also reflected in my pace. The last two miles were slower as my left knee started to ache. It was defintely the deciding factor at that point. It was stiff to bend and prevented me keeping my previous steady-eddy pace. I tried to ignore it for the last half mile to get done. Not to mention, I thought I was almost as either the course was long or my watch measured short. I am thinking it was the former as my watch reads very accurately.

I was very pleased with my performance as I even had energy to run faster to the finish. My knee was problematic, but I still set a PR pace for a race. If you add up the first 3.1 miles, I even raced a 5k PR!

Took a quick pause at each water station and alternated taking water and Accelerade. I also dumped cold water under my hat at the main road water station as the sun was more noticeable out there with no shade relief.
My pace for the 6.4 miles my watch calculated:

dist pace HR cad stride
1.0 09:51 172 84 3ft 2in
1.0 09:27 177 84 3ft 4in
1.0 09:51 175 83 3ft 3in
1.0 09:54 177 83 3ft 2in
1.0 10:19 179 81 3ft 2in
1.0 10:23 180 81 3ft 1in
0.4 09:35 181 81 3ft 5in

Get that knee fixed. :-) Otherwise, nothing. Hopefully pace will continue to drop with more practice.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, and deparately searched for water which seemed in short supply at the finish. Grabbed a slice of pizza once I got cool again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Held back on swim and bike to make sure I could finish the run strong. I could push harder on my next attempt at this distance.

Event comments:

Great venue, with a rolling hill bike course and a partially shaded run course. The roads are a bit rough in some parts, but a very enjoyable event. I thought the volunteers were great, and there was surprisingly little chaos even though 3 different events were going on. They need to really keep the athletes on the left side at that crazy water station, though. Cross traffic occurs once the athletes switch sides. The organizers also need more water at the end of the race, though!!! There were not bottles of anything left, and the water jugs were set well back and unlabeled. I hope they found more before the half-iron finishers came in.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:32 | 1500 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 37/53 F
Performance: Below average
No HR as my new watch doesn't read in water.
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit only
Course: Triangle with all right hand turn. Beach start and exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:26:35 | 23.18 miles | 16.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 40/53 F
Performance: Average
Average 169; max 183
Wind: Little
Course: Course was out the park and onto the main road for a while until a u-turn. Halfway back, the Olympic racers turned off to add a big square. Road was very rough at first. Then it smoothed out until the last 8 miles or so where the road was more uneven and then rough again.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:30 | 06.4 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 34/53 F
Performance: Good
Course: A windy course through the park and then out to the main road. An out and back course. It was shady for the first and last 1.5 miles and sunny in between. It also had up and downhills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 6:11 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: TexasMan Olympic

2007-09-16 9:07 PM
in reply to: #966847

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: TexasMan Olympic
Awesome race Beth!  You looked so strong as you blew by me on the run!
2007-09-16 9:44 PM
in reply to: #967055

User image

Plano, TX
I don't think anyone has ever used that term when discussing my run.  That is an extreme compliment for me.   I have really improved over the last month, though.  It was the best of the 3 events for me today, and it is usually is my worst.  Thanks for noticing!  It was great to see you again.
2007-09-16 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Fantastic job today, sweetie.  It was great to see you out there with a smile and enjoying yourself.

Congratulations... you're an Olympic triathlete!!

2007-09-17 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Great race! Nice meeting you & your family yesterday. What's next on the agenda?
2007-09-17 8:47 AM

User image

Plano, TX
Next is Longhorn Sprint to test my Sprint improvement over the season and then the LTF Olympic race to experience a point-to-point race.  Not sure what next year will hold yet.

2007-09-17 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Ok, so did you have a pink and orange zoot top on for the race? I was thinking that maybe you were the one who had on the matching top to mine and I commented on it during the run, was that you? Your race was a very solid one and congrats on your first oly distance. That's tough to do after a stomach bug. My husband and I are going to Longhorn to do the HIM, but unfortunately won't get there until Saturday afternoon as our kids have activities going on Friday night.
2007-09-17 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

it sounds like you had a great race,,

2007-09-17 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Congrats on a strong performance.  You looked great out there!

2007-09-17 4:50 PM

I think your dropped shot block is what remined me to eat. I was riding and I looked down and saw a red block on the ground and I thought - "Oh gosh -time to eat" So - thanks!
2007-09-17 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you had a solid race! Congratulations!

Oh and you would have blown by me on the run if I were racing! That time looks fast to me!

2007-09-18 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job Beth!!  You looked very strong out on the run course!  Congrats on your first OLY!
2007-09-18 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job on completing your first Olympic. You looked strong at the finish of the run. Your swim time was really good also. Even if the swim would have been the 1.2 miles, you would have been fine.
2007-09-19 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
woohoo, Beth!!!!  Congrats on your first Oly!!  Great job!!!   "Finding still water"  are you channeling Dave Young?  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TexasMan Olympic Rss Feed