United States
Dallas Athletes
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 1s
Overall Rank = 268/321
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am actually feeling pretty good. Ate a bagel with peanut butter, washed down by a glass of milk and off I went for the 1 hr 20min drive to the race. As I got on the highway I noticed a white minivan, and happened to look in the window where I saw a bike with a race number on it. Call me silly, but I was so psyched to see someone else who was racing. As I drove on I saw more and more bikes...because let's face it who else is out and about at 4:30 in the morning on a Sunday?!?!? Just us crazy triathletes.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little, stretched. Was able to get a good amount of swimming in prior to my wave so I felt much more comfortable in the water. during my last race, I wasn't able to do that and I definitely regretted it.
Swim
  • 10m 58s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, big mistake of the day..forgot my goggles at home. Luckily a kind soul took pity on my and leant me his extra pair. Thank God for good samaritans!!!

It was a short swim and I felt like I'd had a good warm-up so I wasn't too nervous. As the wave started, I realized I was kind of in the middle of the pack, and wondered how that was going to go, and it went about how you'd expect. Got kicked a few times, almost got swum over once, but held my own. I didn't panic at all, and I swam in a straight line. Overall, a big improvement from my first race. Now I know I can handle swimming in a pack.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Felt really good, swam straight and was out of the water pretty fast
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Transition went better than I expected. It was a pretty long run from the beach to the transition area, but I felt like everything came together alright.

Maybe start practicing riding without socks to eliminate that from the transition.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 52s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race with my road bike, and man, oh ,man what a difference. I definitley felt faster and more comfortable.

The road startd off rough, but changed over to a smooth surface about halfway through. I felt really good going out. I managed to pass a few riders which was great, as I wasn't able to do that at my first race. I got passed a lot too, but I knew I was racing a good race for me. (One comment: Does anyone else hate downhills on the way out on an out and back course.....all I could think of as I was doing 31mi/hr down a hill was how much it was going to suck on the way back.)

I was really feeling great until about mile 12 then I definitely noticed my energy level and strength starting to disappear. I was bummed, but I did try to remind myself that my average speed, was not only better than my previous race, but better than any of my training rides also....HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT I AM RACING MY OWN RACE, NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S

Also, started having some GI upset...not sure if it was related to the gel I had just prior to the swim. I have used this gel before with no problems. Nothing too major, just feeling bloated, and having some gas pains.

More endurance training; more hill work. Try out other gels to rate any effect on my stomach.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Once I got back to my rack I was aggravated, because the person next to me racked his bike in my spot, right over all of my things. Had to push his bike over to make room for mine.
I made a mistake in that I didn't unlace my running shoes, so that ate up some time.

Make sure running shoes are unlaced.
Run
  • 35m 47s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Was pretty tired after the bike, but started out at a decent pace for me. Much like my training though, my HR jumped right up into the high 170s and I just felt so winded. So I did stop to walk several times during the run. Ran when I could, walked when I couldn't. I did pass several people on the run which was a huge accomplishment for me. My first race I did not pass anyone.

I started checking my HRM to see where I was for time, and it was looking to be a very close thing to get across the finish line in under 2 hours. I have to give a huge shout out to a gentleman who passed me as I was walking with about 1/2 a mile to go who told me I was doing good and that there was only about 6 minutes to go. I looked at my watch and saw I was at 1:53 so I decided to just run with him until the end. Now I understand how helpful it is to have a pacer. I never would have made it to the finish line in under 2 hours without him.

I need to pick up my run training both in time and distance. If my shins start acting up (which they didn't today) I'll substitute the eliptical, but I need to be training much more.
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty simple, walked, stretched, drank.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical ability. Need to train more. Losing weight wouldn't hurt either. :)

Event comments:

Avg HR 163
Max HR 188

Learned a lot from this race. Definitely saw an improvement over my first race. Now I need to take all this info forward and continue to improve.

From a purely silly standpoint I wish I had raced as an age grouper instead of an Athena. Came in DFL for the Athenas....would have been 10th out of 17 in my age group. Live and learn.

Last updated: 2007-01-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:58 | 500 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/321
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: 500y triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:52 | 18 miles | 16.15 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back mostly flat with some rolling hills....2 03 3 really left me winded, but although they were kind of steep they were fairly short.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:35:47 | 03.2 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, partially shaded running path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: Texasman Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-16 10:19 PM
in reply to: #966869

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Texasman Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on the improvement over your first race. It is always nice to see that your training is paying off. Regarding the GI upset, I would suggest doing some training rides at the same effort to see if it happens again.
2007-09-17 8:23 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I like the line "I was pretty tired coming off the bike". That pretty much sums it up for all of us. Nice race. Congrats on sub 2 hr.

What's next on the agenda?
2007-09-17 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Nice job Kristen! Fantastic that you did better than the first one! Smile

Great that you had a nice improvement, plus you see some areas that you can make a couple easy changes to improve again right away!

I had the same bloated feeling, but mine was the reverse - I started feeling better as the race went on.  Definitely something to get sorted out, eh?

2007-09-17 8:36 AM

User image

Nice job making the sub-2hr "goal" ... Even though we're racing our own race, it's nice to have a goal and nail it!
2007-09-17 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Awesome job on your race this weekend! I hope I can do half as good as you at my first race. Looks like you rocked! We will race together some day and then you can feel ninja fast! My move date got pushed back until first of November, so no race in Texas this season, but definitely next!

2007-09-17 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Congrats on your race!  It is nice to achieve a goal like sub-2 hours.  I think you did a great job!!!
2007-09-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: #967474

User image

Champion
the colony texas
congrats on the race,, both for the sub 2 hr,, and pusing through to the end... it's great to hear you are doing better at each race
2007-09-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: #967298

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

KenD - 2007-09-17 8:23 AM I like the line "I was pretty tired coming off the bike". That pretty much sums it up for all of us. Nice race. Congrats on sub 2 hr. What's next on the agenda?

Just registered for the Stonebridge ranch Sprint. Then doing the Lifetime US Open sprint...that bike is 25mi...so I expect I'll be REALLY tired coming off the bike in that one.

2007-09-17 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Congrats on your race!!! Looks like you made some improvements from the last one. Good luck on the next one.
2007-09-17 3:49 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Congrats on the the big improvements!! I am not sure we met I met so many new people but hope to see ya next season

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texasman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed