United States
Tri-Maine
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 8s
Overall Rank = 44/416
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 7/44
Pre-race routine:

Got to sleep in. Didnt have to pack the night before due to the 11AM start. Up around 730. Had a banana and cinnamon raisin bagle with PB and a coffee. Packed my gear and headed out to the race around 915.
Event warmup:

Some light running and stretching. I was in wave 4 and there was 4 minutes between waves, so I spent most of the 12 minutes between the first wave and mine doing some swimming.
Swim
  • 30m 13s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think my ranking in the swim pretty much says it all. I seemed to be sucking from the go on this as I watched nearly my entire wave take off and leave me way behind. I don't know if it was the overcast sky, but my navigation was horrible!! I did fairly well to the first buoy, but had difficult finding a good line after the turn. I tried to follow some of the swimmers in front of me, but I think they were having trouble navigation too. Maybe there was some current pushing me off course ;). At one point I had to make about a 90 degree turn to get over to a buoy on my right, which was supposed to be on my left about 25-30yards. I am always happy when a swim is over, but this was the first race where I found myself actually "wishing" the swim was over, and that was only 400-500yards into it!
What would you do differently?:

More swimming practice.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I continue to be a little slow in transition.

Look at this a little bit this winter. Maybe some tri bike shoes would help and I can just keep them clipped into the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.20 mile/hr
Comments:

The rain started back up lightly by the time I got onto the bike course. I just wanted to put the swim behind me. This ride starts out with a good climb right out of the park, then a nice downhill followed by some mild rolling hills,then a good stretch of flat. I used this time to get settled in. Still haven't found the HR monitor, so basically worked off of percieved exertion. When it seemed I was overdoing it, I cut back and when I wasnt working hard enough, I gave it some. Maybe a little on the conservative side, but overall felt like a good ride and some improvement over last year. This is a fast course and fun to ride!

Try to find my HR monitor, so I could hopefully push it a little harder. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Improved some, but I made a bit of an error. After I left T2, I noticed that I forgot my race#. I couldnt go back through the timing mat without screwing up my times, so I had to find my transition area and jumped over the fencing, grabbed the belt and my hat, back over the fence and off to the run.

Just need to get more organized and practice transitions some.
Run
  • 42m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

A better run than I have had in previous races. I really think that the biggest benefit to the new bike so far is how much fresher my legs feel after riding. I was able to go out feeling pretty fresh and push it pretty close to where my 10K pace is. Didnt need to take much water due to the bike hydration and the relatively cool and wet weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Rhonda. Ate alot of cookies. Caught up with Jeff, Rob and their families. And, of course, the awesome lobster bake!! Too bad I had to work overnight at the hospital, or else I could have enjoyed more beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim mostly.

Event comments:

Will and the group at Tri-Maine are doing a great job with their races. They are some of the best organized races Ive done. The only complaint I had with this one really was the lack of mile markers on the run which usually wouldnt be that big of an issue, but I didnt take the GPS with me on the run due to malfunction.

Last updated: 2007-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:13 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 278/416
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:10 | 24.85 miles | 22.20 mile/hr
Overall: 25/416
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lollipop loop with some gently rollers and a couple challenging hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:05 | 06.21 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 39/416
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 11:58 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: The Lobsterman Triathlon

2007-09-17 7:41 AM
in reply to: #967151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: The Lobsterman Triathlon
Nice race in yucky weather! I would have thought the rain would be a bigger factor on the ride.
2007-09-17 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Great job Mike, especially the kickass bike split. Pretty wild that we ended up only 5 seconds apart.

Don't sweat the swim - with the marathon coming up swimming just has not been a focus, and you'll have all winter and spring to hit the pool.

BTW, they did have mile markers on the run - I didn't see one for mile 1, but they were there the rest of the way. Maybe you were just too focused on picking off runners ahead of you that you didn't notice them?

2007-09-17 9:09 AM

Extreme Veteran

Great job MIke!!  I guess we were only about a minute apart!  Your bike was awesome!!  I am normally very comfortable and happy in the water but I thought the swim was tough too. I swallowed tons of the ocean.  I think MIle 1's number was washed off by teh rain! I saw the sign but no #.  You did a great job!!

Angela

2007-09-17 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Well, Mike, I can relate to the sucky swim feeling and I partly blame the current... so yeah, you can use that excuse, too! 

I started in wave 6 so I never saw you out there, but am very impressed with your bike and run times.   The paces you kept were just awesome.  Nice goin"!!

So all cookies and no lobster for you?  It was very tasty...

Cheers, -Sunny

2007-09-17 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Mike, you had a great season this year and a top ten in your AG is pretty good in this race. You'll certainly nail that swim down by next year.

It was too bad you had to leave early.....but don't worry, I drank your share of the beer.

2007-09-17 10:26 PM

User image

Hi Mike,

It appears you passed me on the run fairly handily. I just had one speed for the run and there was little else I could do about it.

--- Jim

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lobsterman Triathlon Rss Feed