General Discussion Race Reports! » Hotter Than Hell Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hotter Than Hell Biathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Balad,
Iraq
MWR
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 64/65
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night prior, some of us gathered to watch "Without Limits," the movie about Steve Prefontaine. No one had Chariots of Fire, but this movie worked. We ate pizza and watched the movie until 2030 or so. Made a quick call to my wife and then went to pack my assault pack. A friend talked me into doing the run portion with a 35 pound assault pack. I took my Interceptor Body Armor (IBA) and threw it in my assault pack for the weight. Right at 35 pounds. Got to bed about 2200

Woke up at 0400. Registration was at 0515 with the first swimmer taking off at 0600. Started to hydrate and push a little Gatorade. No solid food. Grabbed my ruck with all my gear and my chaplain's guidon and I headed to the pool.
Event warmup:

On my way to the pool, I realized that I didn't have my ID, so I trotted about 500m back to my hooch. To make it in time for registration, I rode my bike to the start point. That's all I had in terms of a warm-up.
Swim
  • 15m 28s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The adrenaline got the best of me and I started off a little fast. With the fast start, I had a hard time catching my breath. I was breathing every 2 strokes instead of every three, which I would have preferred. I had a hard time feeling comfortable in the water and getting in a rhythm. I was passed in the last 100m by the guy who started a minute behind me which was a little disheartening. It just confirmed for me that I was struggling on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I will warm-up for the swim. I'll do 100m or so just swimming and then maybe another 100m of drills, especially DPS and shark-fin drills, IOT get my body "thinking straight." The biggest challenge was trying to find my balance in the water.
Transition 1
  • 06m 7s
Comments:

This T-time is slow because I was completely changing. I had to get out of my wet trunks and into ACUs which meant boots, boot socks, pants, t-shirt, and blouse. It wasn't just put on socks, shoes, a top, race belt and go. Given the standard, I think I went pretty fast. I tried to do what I could to make it faster: rolled my boot socks and stuck them in my boots, turned my t-shirt inside out to get it over my wet body easier, and rolled my pants open to jump in them quicker. I wanted to have as fast a transition time as possible given the extra requirements. After I was dressed, I grabbed my 35 pound assault pack and my guidon and started to trot toward the run course.

Try to do a better job of thinking through changing systematically. Think about the order of dressing and place the items in the necessary arrangement. I should practice this before a race if I ever do one this way again.
Run
  • 35m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I started with a strong run, or so I thought. I was able to jog a decent pace even carrying a guidon and with a pack. I was able to run solid through a mile and a half and then I needed to take walk breaks. I wasn't overheating much; being #16 in the pool helped because I was running in the cool of the morning. My HR was through the roof and I just needed to take some breaks. I started doing some walk/run of about 2 min. walk and 4 min. run. There was water available at the 2 mile point and I had a small cup. It helped a bit. I was able to "airborne shuffle" the last mile or so without stopping.

I was passed quite a bit on the run as I expected. However, the encouragements that I got were worth it. A lot of people were impressed that I was out there in ACUs, boots, with a ruck and a guidon. Many Soldiers who volunteered to support the event also were very encouraging. I didn't do it for the recognition; I did it kind of as a reminder that there are some guys over here who do this every day. There was a time when going to war meant doing these kinds of activities almost regularly. Now, for those of us here at Anaconda, daily life is a bit more mundane. We have pools, gyms, morale centers, and a lot of other things to help us pass the time. Running with the ruck was a good reminder of how bad things could be over here.

However, I am really disappointed that my run was DFL and almost full minute slower than everyone else. The only thing that saved me from DFL overall was my swim time. I know that part of me should understand that a 35 pound ruck is going to keep me from being competitive but the competitive nature in me is having a hard time with it. To be honest, I thought I was going faster than 11:30 miles.

I guess the challenge before me is being competitive or carrying a ruck.

Well, I violated the "nothing new on race day" rule as I hadn't run with a ruck before. If I do this in the future, I'll have to have a couple of ruck runs before the race just to get used to difference.

Really, the big thing to do is decide how to compete the next time. Do I want to challenge the field or continue to challenge myself by trying to lower my ruck run time? That will take a bit of soul searching on my part.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for our SPO and ran the last little bit with him. I also walked around and cheered my swim partner, CPT P. He put in a 26 min. swim but a 20:30 5k. I'll help him with my swim and keep working my run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I want to say the ruck, but that's not quite fair. It could be a given of every race. Therefore, to be fair, I think I have to say my biggest limiter was lack of Time Under Ruck (TUR). I think with some more training, I could get the hang of it.

Event comments:

My mates in HHC did a fabulous job throwing this thing together. Kudos to them for the support!

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:28 | 800 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 14/65
Performance: Average
Suit: PT Trunks
Course: 8 laps in a 50m pool, ducking under the lane line each time to track distance
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  06:07
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Below average
Running
00:35:40 | 03.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 65/65
Performance: Average
Course: Usual 5k course for Anaconda. All paved roads and road guards to halt traffic. No hills or hinderances at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %UNK
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes