Midwest Sports Events
44F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 1s
Overall Rank = 190/797
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/73
Pre-race routine:

Ok for all you Seinfeld fans out there, do you remember the episode where George does the opposite of what he thinks he should with outstanding results? Well I decided to do a bit of that. First I got a new pair of running shoes yesterday(sold to me by Heather Haviland, 4th place female finisher at IMMOO last week) Well I decided to race in the new shoes (with new orthodics I got last week) right out of the box. Usually, the night before a race I go for very bland dinner, but I decided to eat a spicy italian dish instead. Nothing like throwing caution to the wind.
Got up on race morning about 5:30 and ate usual 2 bagels and a banana. Had a bottle of water because I figured I wouldn't drink much on bike with the cool temps.

Temp was 42, when I got up, so I had to make a final decision on what to wear. Decided on running tights over bike shorts and long sleeve compression shirt under the Donkey jersey. This race is only 10 min. from my house. Love that. Got to the site, set up transition. walked around. Found Tripletmom01 and then PhilE relaxed and talked a bit. Got my game face on :) and then headed over to start where I promptly waited a 1/2 hour for my wave to go off.
Event warmup:

Ran about 5 min or so to get the blood flowing.
Run
  • 13m 29s
  • 1.9 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

To mix things up a bit I decided to seed myself at the front of the wave. When the wave went off, I took off in my new shoes. My goal for this leg was to go as hard as I could. Last year I had a 7:14 pace on this leg and my sole focus was to beat that. Mission accomplished. While I was working hard, I felt pretty good and held a steady pace for the "whole" two miles. (after attending Ironman last week it is hard to get excited about 2 miles) Oh yeah Garmin had this at a little less than 2 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, this is about my max speed right now, in fact I was expecting a slower pace than this.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I can not figure what takes me so long in these transitions. Something to work on in the off-season

get my fanny moving
Bike
  • 1h 04m 1s
  • 20.95 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Because there were lots of beginners and I started in a later wave (13), I figured I would pass a lot of bikes. I did. I thought this would be fun. It was. However it was so busy, especially in the beginning, that I actually was a bit conservative. On some of the uphills there was 4 or 5 bikers across, making it difficult to pass. I had a few close calls with other riders not really paying attention. Funny thing is I felt strongest on the uphills. Odd. I pushed hard on the entire ride, because I knew Tripletmom01 was 2 waves back and gunning for me. I somehow managed to keep from getting passed by her. I dressed correctly for this ride that started in the '40's. I probably could have gone lighter, but I never really overheated.

Take downhills more aggressive, but all those newbies scared me. Otherwise not much, this was my fastest avg. speed for a race, so hard to complain. I love my bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

came running in transition and my front tire slipped, so I was basically ending up carrying my bike in my arms.

Figure out what is taking so long. I mean who cares what your hair looks like?
Run
  • 14m 38s
  • 1.9 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

For being so short this was hard. I was pleased with this pace. This was slower that the first run but very respectable for me and beat last year's pace.

more speed work?
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit and then got in line for pancakes. Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmm? I guess I'll have to figure that out in the off-season.

Event comments:

Nice way to finish the multisport season (I think). Fastest run and bike paces for the season so hard to complain. Beat last year's time by about 3 minutes even though the bike was almost a mile longer. Really enjoyed this race and seeing some of my BT friends (also talltridad) was an added bonus. This race is on the cusp of being too big though.

Last updated: 2007-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:29 | 01.9 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/797
Performance: Good
Course: flat little rectangle around Dousman
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:32
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:04:01 | 20.95 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills though the beautiful countryside
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:14:38 | 01.9 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Course: same as first.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Dousman Duathlon

2007-09-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: #967287

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Dousman Duathlon
Smokin' times, Jim! Seriously impressive first run split and congrats on the PR on the bike-- what a great way to close out the season! Maybe I should try doing the opposite for my HIM this weekend. Hmm, let's see... leave nutrition in truck, deflate tires...
2007-09-17 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Awesome job doot!  I know what you mean about being scared of the newbs.  4 or 5 across on the bike?  That is freakin ridonkulous!
2007-09-17 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

Great race! I'm glad that we had a chance to talk.

2007-09-17 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
I don't care if it's 10 across, you blow past them like the man that you are!!!    OK, just kidding.  GREAT race Jim, smoking fast run times on the new kicks!  I bet that second all out effort on the second run is tough.  I've never done a DU before...GREAT job!
2007-09-17 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great race, man!  Some very good improvement in there.  Definitely work on those transitions......its free time!  

Next year, me and you are going to swim across Pewaukee lake at some point.  Just sayin'

2007-09-17 9:04 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hey there Jimbo, Jimberini, JimMan! Great race! So, worried a girl was gonna smoke ya eh? Tripletmom is pretty dang fast too.

After reading your report, maybe I'll do a duo next. Oh crud, just dropped a blob of ice cream on my keyboard! ARGH! I'll need lots of races if I want to continue chowing down on my ice cream.

Anyhow ----Nice times!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dousman Duathlon Rss Feed