Tri-Maine
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 02m 11s
Overall Rank = 306/416
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Drove up with teammate from Cambridge, Mass, and stopped in at the LL Bean store to buy arm warmers for him. It was raining and mild, but on the bike we figured it could get ugly. We set up our T-areas in the drizzle and walked to the beach for the swim start.

Event warmup:

As for warmup, he taught me a neat little series of moves -- do about 20-25 each: 1. High knee raises, hug to chest 2. High knee raises, swing out to side, 3. Walking forward lunges with torso twist, elbow over opposite knee, 4. Walking backward lunges with overhead arm extentions, 5. T-steps with opposite hand touch-downs, 6. Over-Unders done with side steps over and slide under an imaginary 2ft tall barrier. We skipped the move #7 of walking pushups with pike as the feet walk into the hands because we were on gravel.
Swim
  • 33m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

A full 10-mins slower than the fastest Athena...not good. The course had two middle buoys that did not need to be rounded but were way off of the sight line between the turn buoys. I should NOT have swum to those middle buoys. Drats.
What would you do differently?:

Like always, sight more and swim straighter lines. In this race I would check currents, too, because I was constantly getting swept to the left.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s

More glide around the ankles to get the wetsuit off faster!
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was really challenging and fun. On the very first hill my HR shot up to 176 before settling back down in the 160s. I love speed, so really enjoyed the descents. Every climb was worth the downhill! I passed a few Athenas, and beat a lot on time alone, but because I was so far back on the swim, I still was behind overall.

Nothing -- the 2 GU's, one bottle of GU2O, and longsleeve tech tee served me well. I spent a lot of time down in aero and felt comfy there. I was pretty happy with how the bike went.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s

Maybe not change socks, but mine were soaked from the rainy ride.
Run
  • 57m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good and strong out there. I passed a few more Athenas but mostly just focused on running my race, keeping my pace solid. It went well for me and I was pleased with the run even though it would've been nice to move up a few more places overall with it.

Smile more, enjoy myself more...I felt a little "too serious" about this run. I did talk with some people out there, but would've liked to have cheered more enthusiastically for my teammates and those going out for their loop as I was returning from mine.
Post race
Warm down:

Just packed up the soaking wet transition area, changed clothes, and tried to get/stay warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Currents and poor sighting on the swim first and foremost.

Event comments:

Really awesome lobsterbake and lunch for racers -- even at $25 pre-purchase it was worth it!! The crowd here was really nice, too. I met several other Clyde/Athena racers and they were all returning racers who really love this race. I could see why, too -- it really was well-done!

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:26 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 343/416
Performance: Below average
Suit: full Orca speedsuit
Course: Triangle into Casco bay with low waves, but a fair amount of tide current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:27 | 24.85 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 257/416
Wind: Some
Course: Scenic and hilly with very few flat sections.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:49 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 324/416
Course: Out and back along the first 3 miles of the bike course, so again, it was hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: The Lobsterman Triathlon

2007-09-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: #967411

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: The Lobsterman Triathlon
Nice job -- wicked fast on the bike & run.
2007-09-17 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Great job out there. There were a few miles on the bike that I really wished I had arm warmers as I was getting cold. That was good thinking.

I'm glad you enjoyed the race despite the weather and I hope you can make it an annual journey with some more of your teammates.

2007-09-17 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Great work out there on a fairly miserable day, weather-wise.  I wish I had seen you and your friend doing your warm-ups. I think I would have gotten a kick out of watching you two!!  :D I agree with you that this is a fun course, and although the hills can be a bit challenging, especially on the back side of the loop, the downhills make it all worthwhile

Thanks for the comments in my RR!  I was glad to hear somebody else say the current was pushing them off course a bit too

This is a fun race. If you do it again next year, I will try to find you and say "Hi!"

2007-09-17 9:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice job Sunny!

Starting out slow on the swim allows you to catch many Athenas on the bike/run.

Nice paces out there...sounds like a great race, late morning start, fun post race food....great day!

Congrats~

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lobsterman Triathlon Rss Feed