Danskin
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 925/1303
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 118/153
Pre-race routine:

The kids stayed at my brothers for the weekend so this was a great get-away for me and wyecrab!!! We got up at 4:30, got dressed and packed up our stuff and loaded the car. Checked out and we were on the road a little after 5. I had a cup of coffee and ate a PB&J in the car. It was about 30 mins to Sandy Hook and we spent at least another 30 mins sitting in traffic once we were in the park. Even though it was slow, parking went smoothly and we were in a lot that was fairly close.
Event warmup:

I am not sure what the hold up was, but we had to stand in line to get in to the transition area for a really long time. It was at least 30 mins. TA is within a Coast Guard Station and last year, for security reasons, your name HAD to be on "the list" to be able to get in. Maybe they just got bogged down w/ the list checking. Eventually things started flowing and by the time I got to the check-in point all they were looking for was that I had my timing chip on. By the time I get to transition it was only about 15 mins from the scheduled time for my wave start. If figured they would delay things, but there hadn't been any offical announcement - so I didn't want to take any chances Got a decent spot for my bike, it was in the middle but at the end of a rack. Set up my stuff and got my wetsuit on and headed toward the swim start. As it turns out there was a lot of standing around time before the start. It was pretty darn chilly so there was a lot of shivering and bouncing around as a warm up!!!
Swim
  • 12m 21s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Compared to the air temp the water really nice!!! The swim start at this race is pretty cool. You get a pep-talk from Sally Edwards and there's lots of cheering and high-five-ing. There are lots of 1st timers in the race and I knew from last year not to start toward the back of the pack. I was near the front and ended up in the middle, if I had my choice I'd have gotten more toward the right side. The whistle blows and with in a couple of storkes I've got clear water - woohooo. In this race last year, when I finally got some clear water I was way off course. That fact keep me siting often, and I was pretty much on track. There was a bottle neck and the first turn bouy. The guy on the surfboard was fairly close to the bouy and was waving everyone to the inside of him. The congestion slowed me up a bit, but wasn't too bad. By the next turn, back toward shore, I was in the open again. Heading back the waves and currents were with me and I felt really fast. I passed a few from the wave in front of me. The only glitch on the way in was that a swim angle was helping someone right in the middle of the course. That caused a bit of congestion with people swimming around them.
What would you do differently?:

I still have to work on swimming faster, but I am really pleased with my time on this one.
Transition 1
  • 06m 9s
Comments:

Last year when I got to T1 a girl had pulled her bike out and parked it in front of mine and was sitting down putting her socks and shoes on. It made for a very long transition for me. This year I was determined to cut that time way down. Unfortunately, in my rush to get to the swim start I didn't take the time to see where my bike was in relation to where you come in from the swim - what a stupid mistake!!!. To make matters worse when I came running in the racks weren't numbered on that side. Some how it didn't occur to me to run to the other end where they were numbered - doh!!!! I spent WAY too much time trying to find my bike.
Once I did, it didn't take me long to get going.

Take the time to do the basics, and make sure I know where my spot is!!!!
Bike
  • 36m 16s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I am really pleased with my time on the bike!!! We were riding with the wind on the way out. The course was crowded which made passing difficult at times. I still managed to pass lots on the course. After the turn around we were headed into the wind. That thinned people out a good bit. Still managed to pass a few, and I got passed a couple of times. All-in-all it was a good solid ride.

Get stronger so I can ride faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

You'd think after T1 I'd have the location of my spot burned in my brain. But nooooo, I turned in one row too soon and had to scoot between the racks to get to my spot. Normally I take a gel on the bike. We were out at home but I figured I could get some at the expo at registration. Wrong, they had sports beans at the expo. I couldn't figure out how to carry the beans on the bike so I waited till I was in transtions to do that. That added a little time.

Next race I'm gonna put some sort of flashing stobe on my spot. Maybe an EPIRB - that would go over big with the Coasties wouldn't it
Run
  • 42m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I gave it just about all my legs had on the bike. I had a major case of lead legs at the start of the run!!!! I got a cramp in my calf that I just couldn't run off and had to stop and stretch it out. The streching took care of the cramp and after about 15 mins the legs didn't feel too bad. Even though it got to the point that things didn't feel bad, I can't say they felt good. Felt like a I slogging through the run.

I don't think there is much point in pushing less on the bike. Even in the best of situations I don't have a great run pace. If I keep working on it, hopefully my run will improve.
Post race
Warm down:

Wyecrab was there at the finish!!! My HRM wasn't working right, so I wasn't 100% sure of my time, but I was fairly sure I was ahead of last year!!! I drank an Endurox, then we walked about and got some water and bananas. I was hoping we could bump into the mosc crew and the rest of the PWTM team, but no luck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am psyched with my times on the swim and bike!!! I beat last years time by a little more than 9 mins. I was even a couple of minutes faster on the run - but that is where I really naeed to make some major improvements!!!

Event comments:

This is a fun race!! Other than the glitch getting in 1st thing, all ran pretty smoothly. One thing that was very noticable was a big change of attutude on the run course. Last year there was lots of hooping, hollering and high-fiving. This year it was down right sedate, I wonder what the differnce was.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:21 | 880 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 73/153
Overall: 679/1303
Performance:
Suit: Wet suit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:16 | 11 miles | 18.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/153
Overall: 300/1303
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:39 | 03.1 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/153
Overall: 0/1303
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2007-09-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: #967416

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon

congratulations on shaving 9 minutes off your time from last year! that's amazing!

sorry i missed you on race day, but meeting you and glenn at the expo was fun! hope you enjoyed your kid-free weekend!

2007-09-17 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Way to go Brenda!  (or should I say "Mrs. Z5"!)  Smokin' bike!!!  Boomie and I were cheering for you on our morning walk yesterday.
2007-09-17 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Congrats Brenda!  All your hard work this summer is paying off!

2007-09-17 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

I'm familiar with that "lost in transition" experience.

Congrats on trimming 9 minutes.

2007-09-17 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Great job Brenda! Who cares about the run, you kicked butt on the swim and the bike.

2007-09-17 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Nice work Mrs Z5!!! Way to go dropping 9 minutes. That is just amazing!

It is so cool that you have done this race 2 years in a row, you are quite the seasoned triathlete!

BTW, I got your EPIRB reference. Heh.

2007-09-17 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Congrats on the finish time shortened by 9 Min from last year!!  I knew you would beat it by a lime.  SMOKIN bike ride.. Sure does hurt on the run after  bike like that!! Wish we could have done it together.
2007-09-17 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Brenda, awesome job!!! I'm so proud of you.  Taking 9 minutes of your time is no small feat.  Super job
2007-09-17 1:23 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Nice work!! Congratulations on a race well done!
2007-09-18 12:59 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
great job, especially on the bike!

2007-09-18 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran

may i admire you!?!?!?!?!?!

you totally rocked the whole race! i covet your bike time! 

2007-09-19 6:03 AM

Brenda - 9 minutes! That's a huge cut - AWESOME! Sorry about the bike bit. That's wierd that they didn't number it in a place that felt logical to run from after the swim.

YOu should be so proud of this race!

Tink
2007-09-19 9:52 PM

User image

I also envy your bike time and your swim time, and even your T times.

It is awesome that you rocked your previous time for this race. Next time we should have a big BT party after the race so we can all hang out.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed