Triple Sports
100F / 38C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 134/214
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

Was a fun ride up to Anthem, as Harry and I rode up together. Harry came to support us all and I'm glad he came because having someone to talk to took away pre-race jitters I always get. He also had beef jerky.

When we got to the facility, check in was fast and easy. Tanya and Dan had a spot picked out for all of us which was great. Having friends doing the race with you makes the fun factor go up. I was hoping Jerry would make it, but having Fitz come made up for it. I haven't seen him in a long time.
Event warmup:

Spent 45 minutes walking around the facility looking for Tanya's youngster. Luckily, he was found. The race coordinator was more concerned about being Mr. Holier-than-thou than finding the boy.
Swim
  • 12m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim made me rethink my decision to participate in this race. It was a reverse Tri, so it was the last event. The thinking is that by the end of a race, people should be spread out and able to swim in the pool w/out incident. Well, I'm a MoP'er, and we weren't spread out, and there were incidents! There were so many people in the pool, many weren't swimming, and those of us who wanted to couldn't. I tried to pass the two walkers in front of me but one of them threw a fit and started punching me from behind. A nice kick to the head/shoulder area made him stop, but an argument ensued at the end of the lane. I gave up trying to pass people at that point.
What would you do differently?:

Be faster than a MoP'er so I could have the pool to myself or not do this race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't know my transition times. I felt fast relative to the other races I've done this year, so I think there was some improvement. I didn't order out for pizza, or sit and visit with everyone like I did at Mountain Man. Harry didn't set up his transition bar-b-que like he said he would, so I had to get going.

This was the bike to Swim transition. I just threw everything off and jogged to the pool of death. Years of watching Ultimate Fighting aided in this portion of the race. Thank you Mr. Hoyce Grace and Ken Shamrock!!
Bike
  • 55m 12s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Although I was VERY tired from PR'ing the run, I really thought I did better than my time showes. The first mile was a hill, and I passed at least 7 people. This psyched me up. All through the first lap, I would catch someone and pass them. It felt AWESOME to get to say "On your left" over and over again!

When I started the 2nd lap, I could feel my right calf start to cramp up. I kept thinking "Great, you had a good 1st lap and now you're going to cramp up and everyone is going to blow by you". (This happened in college when I did a run to bike race) I slurped a GU down, drank tons of water, and made my left leg work harder. This worked, and although my calf would twinge, it never fully cramped up. I kept concentrating on catching whoever was in front of me.

Out of the two laps, I counted 6-7 people who passed me, and I passed way more than that. This made me think my bike was better than it was. I will say that I FELT stronger than the races before, and during the whole race I kept thanking the ESCKTC for the Sunday rides.

Train harder!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was the run to bike transition. Not the fastest in the world because my heart rate was SCREAMING and I wanted to slow it down for the bike. I also didn't want to forget anything.

Practice more
Run
  • 28m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was TOUGH! I started out in front with Fitz, Tanya, Sally and Dan. When the race started, people took off at a full sprint. Dan and I made a point to pace ourselves and let people pass. And they did. Tons of them. I just kept telling myself that I'd catch many of them later in the run or on the bike. I really didn't catch as many as I thought. That's ok because I had a great run for me. The course was actually pretty hilly.

During the run, I saw my heart rate up to 184 so I stopped and walked until it got below 180. When I'd start back up, I tried hard to go slow but my legs really wanted to move . I decided on a pace somewhere between what my legs and my heart rate wanted.

I was pleased at the amount of water stations. Being as hot as it was, they were needed.

Save something for the bike
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade and oranges while hanging out with the ESCKTC.

Event comments:

I'm giving this race an "Average" rating because of the annoying/@sshole coordinator and the terrible swim conditions. The run and bike were great though.

I have noticed that the bike is the most important event of the 3. I ranked 134 overall in the bike, and guess what? I ranked 134 overall. I also ranked 12 in the bike in my AG, and got 12 in my AG overall.

Although I thought I had done better than I actually did, I'm still happy. In May, I was last in my AG. In the Mountain Man, I was 3rd to last. I was 6th to last in this race. I'm improving! What's most important is that I'm having fun, have met some amazing people that I now call friends, and it's only been 6 months since I've started all this.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:29 | 400 meters | 03m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 150/214
Performance: Bad
Lanes were PACKED with people. Couldn't pass and had to slow down the whole time.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:12 | 14 miles | 15.22 mile/hr
Overall: 134/214
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:27 | 03.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 140/214
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Anthem Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-17 1:59 PM
in reply to: #967747

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: RE: Anthem Sprint Triathlon

A few more fist fights and/or a well placed bike pump or two, and you'll be in the top 10! Seriously, great job. I'm still amazed at your run time.

2007-09-17 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Nice report. Man, I would have gotten so mad on the swim if someone had done that! Nice PR on the run! I think you've gotten back into the swing of things. The persistent training since Mtn Man really paid off! Hope we can do a tri together again soon.
2007-09-17 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

You did awesome Chris- way to PR that run- and it was hot! I think the only person who had a good swim was the guy who won, my husband said he got in the pool about 4 mins ahead of the next guy. For the rest of us it was an aqua-battle

It was fun hanging out with you! Sorry I racked my bike in your spot, I was a bit delerious after the bike

2007-09-17 5:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-09-17 10:29 PM

Veteran
Gilbert, AZ
Excellent race report dude! And great job on the PR. I'm going to have to try harder to keep up with you on the next one!!!

2007-09-18 11:34 AM

Pro
AZ
See! You are showing improvement and having fun! That's what it's all about!!! You did great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed