Tri-Maine
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 20m 40s
Overall Rank = 44/427
Age Group = 35-39m
Age Group Rank = 100/45
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 11am so it was nice to sleep in for a change. I had a full breakfast of eggs, toast, canadian bacon, coffee, whey protein and gatorade.

Showed up at around 9:30, set up and hung out and chatted with friends and those around me.
Event warmup:

ran to the far porto-potties and back (no line and smelled nice).
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I just had a lesson on Thursday so I spent the whole swim focusing on some key points from the lesson. I just kept telling myself to swim long and powerful. I think I did alright and even though my time still stinks, I think I PR'd that distance. Before the race I ran into a close friend who said they got roped into doing the swim portion of the relay. I personally didn't know he could swim so I was a little worried about him. He started in the wave before me and I caught him at the first turn buoy. He was breast stroking and looked a little labored. I shouted encouragement and kepted on going. I figured he was a tough ex-Marine and he could handle himself out there.

Except for getting off line after the last bouy, things went well and I was pleased with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Keep on training and doing drill.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

The time in T1 was was faster that the top 5 finishers so things seem to be alright here. The rain and wet shoes really mess with my ability to get into my shoes on the bike and I promptly got yelled at by a competitor which I deserved. Though, I made it my mission to drop him inside of one mile.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Within the first mile I hooked up with what appeared to be a strong cyclist in the 40-45AG and we both spent the entire ride pacing off each other. I'd lead for 5 minutes or so and then he would pass and lead. For about 6 miles I had the pleasure of being esorted by the race official so though we paced off each other it was all very legal.

At about the halfway point, the feild was was spread out and I just threw the hammer down. The bike course is an absolute blast with great rollers, areas of high speed, rewarding hills, and smooth flats.

At the end of the bike I thank my riding mate for a good ride and wished him luck.

Nothing. It was a great ride and I still had plenty of energy in me for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Absolute disaster. My feet were soaked so when I slipped on my shoes my inner sole would crunch up to my toes. I took off and put on my shoes three times to try to get them to flatten out. I was never successful so I decided to just run with my inner sole folded up underneath my toes.

I ended up losing 2 positions in my AG due to this T2.

different shoes, maybe dry feet off.
Run
  • 42m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good off the bike and my run legs came in pretty quickly. I really didn't look at my watch much but a couple of peaks at it showed a mid 150's HR which was fine. At about mile 3 a friend of mine who is a much stronger runner caught me. We paced off each other for the next 2 miles which really helped me to stay focus and keep the cadence up. Before I knew it I was back in the park and done. Checked my watch and saw a 42:30 on it. I was completely blown away. That time crushed my PR as I've never run a sub 7 minute mile 10k. Last year I did that curse in 54 minutes! The run was definitely the highlight of the day.

Nothing. It was the best 10k of my life.
Post race
Warm down:

Watch Rob, Mike, and Angela finish. Drank a few beer with friends and new aquaintances and ate some Lobster.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Last year I did this race in 2:46. So I'm pretty blown away that I've been able to improve my time by over 25 minutes in one year. As a B race, I am also happy that felt pretty strong the entire event and I recovered from the race very quickly. I think the new nutrition plan and training schedule has resulted in some positive gains and it seems like im on the right track for Clearwater 70.3 in November.

Event comments:

This is my favorite local race. The course is fun and fair. The RD is well organized and really puts in a ton off effort at it is his showcase event.

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 205/427
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: counterclockwise in Casco Bay. Well protected little cove.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:06:39 | 24.85 miles | 22.37 mile/hr
Overall: 23/427
Wind: Strong
Course: Lollipop with rollers
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:42:43 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 45/427
Course: lollipop course. Rolling hills most of the way with the worst hills at first and last mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: The Lobsterman Triathlon

2007-09-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #967795

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: The Lobsterman Triathlon

Wow Jeff!! what a fabulous performance!! You took 25 minutes off?? That is amazing! Great job. Your 10k PR is just super too. You must feel so good about that. I remember  you told me that at the finish. Very impressive.  And to think you did that with your inserts all folded up!! My transitions were disastrous too. Just so so hard to function with frozen hands and wet apparel!  I guess in a way, that's part of what makes all this so fun. THe unexpected challenges we face out there together. You fly on the bike. Hey...here's an idea. I'll share my swimming knowledge with you if you give me some tips on the bike!  What do you think? 

You're goign to do great at Clearwater!!  Good luck with your training.  I'll be thinking of you.  Thank you for cheering me on in the middle (that was you on the bike right?) and at the finish. I was happy to see you and happy to meet your wife and daughter. They were troupers to be out there in the rain all day. 

take care, Angela

2007-09-17 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Hot damn!  What a blistering 10Km run time, a new PR!!!, and that was AFTER hammering on the bike...you did awesome and should be psyched for Clearwater.  I can't wait to read that RR and hear how you do there.

I hope you enjoyed the post-race rewards at the cookout and keg.  It was good stuff!

And thanks for the encouragement in my RR -- I'll definitely go back to race Lobsterman again, and I'll try to bring more Wheelworkers with me.  We all enjoyed it. 

Cheers, -Sunny

2007-09-17 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Another impressive performance Jeff!!  I have to hand it to you man, you are worlds ahead of where you were at this time last year!  That run split is great!!  I guess I can't count on having the run in my back pocket against you anymore

Congrats on a stellar year all around and I look forward to hearing about Clearwater.  We have to try to keep in better contact this winter, maybe do some runs together and hopefully get together for some snowboarding!

2007-09-17 9:29 PM

User image

Great Improvement.

What a run. Wow!

Strong riding for sure.

This was my first triathlon and had a blast.

Good luck with your racing in the future.
2007-09-17 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Impressive!!!

Amazing to have improved so much in a year when you were already fast...you hammered the bike and nailed the run. Congrats on the PB on the 10K and overall..and it was a B race!!

I agree this bodes well that your training and new nutrition are working for you...and will continue as you prepare for Clearwater. We all want  you are going to kick butt down there!

I don't think you were 100th in your AG though

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lobsterman Triathlon Rss Feed