United States
Ultramax
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 16s
Overall Rank = 61/133
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Ate left over spaghetti for lunch at work about 2:00 pm. Ate 2 baked potatoes and big plate of enriched pasta at 5:30. Drank about 2 liters of accelerade before falling asleep at 10:00 pm. Up at 4:30 A couple of bananas and accelerade drinks. At Tom's at 5:35, left at 6:00, At Innsbrook at 6:50 and parking lot was already filling up. Kept hydrating up to 7:45
Event warmup:

It was cold so I just did a little stretching and didn't go into the water until the gun sounded
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Settled in near the middle outside right of the group at the gun. Waded out and kept telling myself to go slow. got into a nice steady rhthym and then got hit in the head and almost knocked my swim mask off. I had to stop and get the water out. I settled down into a nice easy pace concentrated on glide and before I knew it I was passing some of the people that had passed me earlier and I was at the first bouy. Navigation around was ok but I could have swam it a little harder. I continued same pace until the final turn and started to get a little more aggressive with my stroke. I was feeling strong so I continued with a little higher turnover. Overall i felt great about the swim, especially compared to the one in June.
What would you do differently?:

the this point i wouldn't have done too much different. I wouldn't have standed up in the water util I was a little closer to shore at the end.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

I must have been a little colder or nervous than I thought. i fumbled the my socks and shoes. It took alot longer than I would have liked to get shoes on, headband, glasses, shirt and helmut on. Sucking down gel pack and accelerade added more time than it should have.

i think experience setting up transition gear will help. having a cycling shirt with gel packs in pockets and waiting until i'm on road to drink might help.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 11s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike throughout. i was passed by alot of riders. I increased my mph form 15.4 in june to 17.0 Pleased with the performance, but I need to get alot stronger on the flats. Only one rider passed me on a hill. Stayed in big gear alot of the time, never in big gear in June.

I think I could have pushed a little harder on some of the hills and the flats and still be able to recover run strong run. I would like to have computer on bike so I would have a better idea on how I'm doing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Not too bad. having to tie double knot in shoes was frustrating.

get different lacing system for shoes. should have ran with get pack and sucked it as I ran.
Run
  • 23m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I got my legs under me pretty quick. It didn't take a mile before i had an ok pace. 1st mile was probably around 8:30. i was passed by one guy and one girl at the beginning of the run. After them I didn't get passed. got drinks at both stations. slowed almost to a stop at first one and drank most of cup. 2nd mile was fast and breathing inceased. passed alot of people. at the end of mile 2 I saw Tom at the crest of a hill. I pushed hard and came up 2-3 second short at the end. I felt good enough to lengthen strides on decents and allow myself to run fast. on steep climbs I shortened strides dramatically and big increase on turnover. i think the run went great for my current fitness level.
Post race
Event comments:

I think utramax puts on awesome events.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 500 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/133
Performance: Good
2:04 run to transition
Suit:
Course: Aspen Lake
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:11 | 18 miles | 16.83 mile/hr
Performance: Average
results on website had ave mph at 17.8
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:09 | 03.1 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 3:16 PM

User image

New user

Kirkwood
Subject: Club National Championship

2007-09-17 8:08 PM
in reply to: #968102

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO
Subject: RE: Club National Championship

hey, you beat me by like a minute!

By the way, I talked to Shandra(Assistant Race Director) and she confirmed mileage on the bike is more like 19 miles.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Club National Championship Rss Feed