United States
on your mark events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My bro lives in Pleasanton so I spent the night. I woke up early and rode my bike with gear to Shadow Cliffs (good to loosen up). It was still dark at 5:45am, now I know why I need a flashlight.

I found a nice end rack location for my bike and laid out my towel at the end of the rack so that nobody leans their bike against the end and hijacks my area. My normal occurence is to get nervous so I always go to the bathroom. Is this TMI?
Event warmup:

Its actually quite brisk out, but I just stretch. I'm not here to break any records, just break 2 hours.
Swim
  • 16m 45s
  • 700 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I learned from the tri-for-fun that I am not a great swimmer so I stayed back and to the far right at the start. I got excited at the start and started out faster than I trained so tired a bit before the first buoy. I know I'm tiring when I start having extended sighting for that dang first buoy. The 2nd buoy and the swim to the end went well, catching my 2nd wind. The last length went well since I'm swimming parallel to the bank for easy sighting (i.e., can keep my head down).
What would you do differently?:

Start more in the middle of the pack since I kept swimming up into people. Deliberately start slower too so I don't burn out before the first buoy.

Overall swim went much better than the tri-for-fun.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I forgot to record the splits for T1 but it was long. I sat down to wipe my feet and get my shoes on. It was difficult getting my socks on with wet feet. My shoes has those ratchet things, which added more time.

My shirt was loose but still was hard to get on while wet and I had difficulty with my number while huffing and puffing. I also drank some water to hydrate before the bike.

Roll my socks on rather than trying to pull them on. Maybe when I get serious I'll consider new shoes, but not right now. Lastly maybe leave the number off until the T2 transition. Then I can put it on while I'm off and running.
Bike
  • 52m
  • 18 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't take any fluids since I didn't want to slow down. That's why I took a drink before the ride. And I figured it was only 18 miles. I powered up the hills out of the saddle.

Don't know.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Don't know the exact transition time, but I had my shoe laces pre-tied and got my shoes on easily with a shoe horn. That worked well actually. Took another swig of water.

Don't know.
Run
  • 32m 45s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The start of the run was up a hill. My calves started twitching like they were going to cramp. Pulled over and stretched for about 10 seconds. Luckily the top of the hill was water so I walked and drank water and Cytomax. Took it easy for awhile until I loosened up and made sure to drink fluids at the aid stations. Then I gained the most on people on the hills.

Don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch after eating/drinking. Bending down to pick up my stuff was sore/tighting up. Stretch more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical endurance. Need more training, especially on the swim.

My swim was much faster than projected, the bike was about on par, and the run was faster by 30sec/mi. No complaints.

Event comments:

Its the tri-for-real, but really its still fun. Feels just like the tri-for-fun since the clock was only at the finish line and no splits taken. This is a great race for newbies and I enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:45 | 700 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: There's one buoy out from the swim beach, turn left to the 2nd buoy, then parallel the shore bank to the other side of the swim beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:00 | 18 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Two loops of 9 miles around. There is a slight short hill, but overall quite flat. There were some areas with road construction and rough road, but relatively smooth overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:45 | 04 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly unfinished dirt/gravel roads winding all around, marked by white flour lines and lots of volunteers. Some hills but overall maybe just one decent hill. Lots of water, more than every mile it seemed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 3:35 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Subject: 14th Annual Tri for Real

2007-09-18 12:23 PM
in reply to: #968172

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: 14th Annual Tri for Real
BK, you did a great job on this race.  It's especially great how you've made so many improvements on your swimming.  Time for you to step up to the oly's and halfs!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 14th Annual Tri for Real Rss Feed