North Carolina Triathlon Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 56m 22s
Overall Rank = 258/286
Age Group = Fat Old Men
Age Group Rank = 10/10
Pre-race routine:

I tapered well all week and felt like my body was rested. I woke up at 4:00 am, ate two bowls of cereal, cleared the plumbing, got the rest of my stuff together and headed off to the race site. I arrived at 5:30, as planned and set up my Transition Area.
Oh yeah, I took a couple of immodium AD to keep me from getting GI issues, which left me with what I hoped would be a self propulsion system during the race.
It was very chilly.
Event warmup:

Walked around mostly. checked out the chop in the water, since there was a brisk wind blowing into the transition area. It didn't look too bad in the cove where the swim started. Took on a hit of gel 20 minutes before the swim start.
Swim
  • 42m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was fairly calm (wave-wise) for the first 300 yards, then we got into open water and I started getting pummelled by wave after wave. I thought there mus be a big ass boat out there going back and forthe making waves.
I did my best to replicate the long stroke that I had during my final swim on Saturday, but I couldn't do it. I lose alot of speed when my stroke shortens up. There was this one guy, who seemed to be in frnt of me no matter how I corrected. However, I couldn't draft off of him because he kept stopping every 50 yards and started doing breaststroke. That was irritating. I also hate when people touch my feet. I don't care if they draft, but keep their darn hands off of my toes.
After we got to the bouy, I got some open water, and my pace picked up. However the timing of the waves kept trying to roll me over or just hold my left arm back.
I didn't get the least bit tired on the swim, and could have gone another lap. that was sort of the goal, since I knew of the daunting task ahead of me when I got out of the water
What would you do differently?:

I think at my next half, I will push the swim a little harder. I think that I can go 8 -12 minutes faster for that distance. Next time, the whole half IM won't be so scary to me. I know that pushing harder on the swim won't affect my bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

I took my time in T1, in order to make sure I had everything. I put on a sleeveless bike jersey on over my trisuit so I could house a couple of bananas and take on an extra water bottle if needed. I also ate half of a banana in T1. Kind of trotted into and out of T1. Pretty Casual.
Even though I took my time, I still forgot to grab my gloves. It is a good thing the temperatures were down and my hands didn't sweat too much.

Next year I will work on Transitions. As far as T1 and T2 time in proportion to my total time, It was pretty minor.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I had nothing in my quads to start the leg. the first 12-14 miles were a struggle. But I hung with it, got my speed where the course was willing to give it without the wind taking it back and waited for my legs to come out of their funk. The start was like Azelea all over again, except not as slow.
After mile 14, I started feeling better, but my quads never lost the tired feeling. I passed my buddy and his neighbor who came out to cheer me on at the Shearon Harris Spur, which helped motivate me.
The second third of the course is where most of the major climbs take place. I felt pretty good through this section. I was passing people, getting passed and was kind of in a good groove. The only negative of this leg is I started getting a pain in the back of my knee. Not enough to affect my ride, but irritating just the same.
The last third of the ride is uneventful, but sneaky long and had an uphill tone to it. It took alot of mental energy to stay with it for the last 15 miles.
Needless to say, I was looking forward to getting off the bike. If I only knew.....

I rode the bike course at almost the same speed that I rode it in training. I think if my legs weren't out of it for the first 14 miles, I could have gone 5 minutes faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I again took my time, making sure I did everything. As I was finishing the bike leg, the second individual finisher was going down the finisher's chute. I figured that winning the race was now out of the question, why push it.

See above.
Run
  • 2h 49m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I somehow thought that the excitement and motivation of the race would give me enough gumption to run up those hills. Folks, let me tell you that all of that excitement was gone before I hit the first big hill.
This run was one of the hardest things I have ever had to accomplish in my life. My legs were tired at the start of the run, the hills were daunting and I couldn't make my legs move fast enough to get my heart rate up.
All I want to say is thank you for all of the inspiration given by Homewiz, Nuthouse and Spot as we crossed paths. My next door neighbor and his sister were also great motivation to get me to the finish line.
I walked most of the uphills and trodded on the flats and downhills. I walked or stopped at the aid stations and thanked every volunteer I saw as well as cheered on every other runner I cam into contact with on the second lap. It didn't matter if they were ahead of me or behind me. I felt like we were a part of the same community. We were the slower participants who were at the edge of their sanity all just wanting to get to the finish.
I crossed the finish line like a champion and emotionless me almost shed a tear over my accomplishment.

Train more on hills. Do more bricks on hills. Not suck at running so much. Pick a number from 1-10.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around as much as I could. Had two bottles of water, 3 Soft Drinks and a Hot Dog. Went home so my wife could take off my shoes, because I certainly couldn't bend over to do it myself.

I also had the chance to meet SportySpice after the race. She did great, and was probably crossing the finish about the same time as NutHouse.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the two major factors that affected my performance were the difficulty of the course and my fear of the race leading up to it.

Event comments:

There were 175 volunteers for 500 participants, or approximately .35 volunteers each. I hate to tell you, but I think I used other peoples volunteers to serve my drinks on the run course.

Last updated: 2007-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:35 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 183/286
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: Straight out and back. Into the wind on the way out, with the wind on the way back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:17:26 | 56 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 240/286
Performance: Average
Average HR - 138 Max HR - 150
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Bike Course was a loop through 4 counties of NC. Hilly, Windy and Long.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:49:54 | 13.1 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 264/286
Performance: Bad
Average HR - 126 Max HR - 140 What is with this. I couldn't talk my legs into going fast enough to get my HR up.
Course: Two loop, extremely hilly course. I hate it! It brought me to my knees and now I am going to buy that park so I can bulldoze the f&*%^ing run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: Duke Liver Center Half

2007-09-17 8:41 PM
in reply to: #968514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half
Great race, and congrats on finishing and doing so having a good time. I know how hard the run (walk) can be. I am going to do another next year and hopefully go under 7 hours.
2007-09-18 5:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
You had a hard race to have as your first 1/2.  Despite how tough it was, you finished, learned something about yourself and you will only get faster.  Congratulations on a great race.  Look forward to seeing you out there in the spring.
2007-09-18 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I continue to be impressed by your iron will. It remember when I met you that I thought you were crazy doing Riverwood one week and White Lake the next, just over a month after Azaela.

Loved the race report, especially "...now I am going to buy that park so I can bulldoze the f&*%^ing run course."

Can't wait to see how you do next year!

2007-09-18 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Hey dude, great race report and great race! That is definitely a heck of a course for your first HIM! And I agree with you about the hills Think to yourself - White Lake HIM (flat course!)
2007-09-18 8:52 AM

Great job! You did it and on a hard as hell course!!! Your race report cracked me up.. You are funny! Awesome job! Singing up for IMFL 08? C'mon, I am!

2007-09-18 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I figured that winning the race was now out of the question, why push it.

This made me laugh...very hard.

For a first HIM you sure know how to pick the tough courses!  Congrats on a hard fought race and finish.  There is nothing easy about it and when you're standing at the top of that behemoth first climb knowing that you've got to go up it again, its takes all sorts of mental toughness to get it done.

I highly recommend what Mandy mentioned - White Lake Half.  You want to blow an hour or two off of your Duke time that's the one.

Congrats on your first Half bro!  You did it. 

2007-09-19 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
It wasn't nearly as funny as it was happening, as it was writing the RR.
2007-09-21 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Congrats on your HIM finish Keith.  You have come a long way in a short amount of time.

I look forward to the opportunity of racing with you next season.  Enjoy some well deserved rest.

2007-09-21 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Congrats on the HIM.  I have always wanted to do this race!
2007-09-21 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
You did a great job. Finished one of the toughest races in the area. I appreciated the pick me up s along that brutal run course. Let me know anytime you want to train. Misery loves company. See you at White Lake Half. BETTER, STRONGER, FASTER!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke Liver Center Half Rss Feed