Racing Underground
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 46s
Overall Rank = 15/191
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Got some decent sleep at work the night before and drove home to pick up my family and head to the race. Ate a Clif bar at 7:00 and sipped on Accelerade. Showed up a little later than I liked and had to rush a bit to get set up in transition but then again, I also didn't have to sit around and wait, which I hate.
Event warmup:

Got in the cold water to get used to it. Swam a little bit. But I was nice and comfortable by my start time as the water in my suit had warmed up.
Swim
  • 17m 59s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first OWS tri and I was a bit nervous as there were supposed to be about 100 people in my wave. That probably isn't a lot but for me, it was. I waited a few seconds after the start and then went. I had started well to the outside, which ended up working great. Had nothing but clean water the whole way out, no bumping, nothing. Easily settled into a rhythm and was breathing great. Turned the buoy and headed in and eventually caught some green caps from the first wave, which was a huge confidence booster for me. Got a little inside and nearly ran into a few yellow caps heading out. Swam until my fingers touched sand and ran out. Belched loudly with a "Hell yea!" My son and daughter jogged with me up the sand, which was neat.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Still need to get a swim coach this offseason. Liked where I started on the outside and had a nice straight line to the buoy.

BTW- The swim course felt long. I'm not super fast but I typically average 2:00/100 meters and felt right on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Wetsuit off great. Love the ankle zippers! Trouble getting my shirt on. Need to figure this out. Tried the flying mount and nearly racked the boys. Rethink this.

Maybe wear my shirt under my wetsuit or go shirtless...
Bike
  • 43m 12s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good and tried to stay aero as much as possible. Because of the t-shaped loop, that meant lots of turnarounds, which slowed things down. This is my slowest bike this year. Passed by some of my age groupers and others but not too many.

Lots of work to do on the bike. Like to get my averages over 19 mph.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

A guy ahead of me slowed me up a bit as he was walking the bike and there wasn't room to get around him. Ripped my race number as I put it on. Had to re-rack my bike as it slipped off.

Actually pretty happy with my time here.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good starting the race and haven't had the stomach cramping/side stich issues I've had in previous races. Last two have been great actually.

I was suprised when we hopped onto the dirt path and stayed on it as I thought we'd be on the same course as the dip and dash. Course was quite hilly and the loose gravel was difficult, especially when you had to run in the middle to pass people. Took a little HEED at mile 1. Shortly after, I felt a slight twinge in my right knee which I know is related to ITBS. Oh, not now! But it didn't get bad and I maintained my pace, passing lots of people. I had some specific goals for this race and was checking ages as I passed. But good energy throughout and I finished strong.

Consider racing in training shoes. I've done my last three 5k races in flats and I think that's why my ITBS flared up. Just not enough cushioning and support.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched. Got a massage as my hamstrings felt tight. Slight jog. Knee pain really starting to set in now. Gathered my family and waited for the results.

I won my friggin' age division! The overall first place winner was in my age group so I got bumped up. Surprisingly, my age group was a little less competitive than the others. But I'll still take it. So I accomplished my goal of getting on the podium, as I've been close a few times this season. Got my "major award" and even won a cool backpack in the raffle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I'm not getting as much training as I'd like but I'm pretty happy with my first full summer of sprints. Lots of improvement but more work to do. Bring on the Olys and HIM!

Event comments:

Dealt admirably with a last minute bike course change. Waves started on time. Really liked having everyone in my age group start together rather than heats based on swim times. This way you knew you had to catch them on the run as there was no "seed" time to give up.

I'm limping a bit now but am excited about the season and even more excited for next year. See you all next year!

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:59 | 750 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 46/191
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion full
Course: Out and back. Long?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:12 | 12.9 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Overall: 46/191
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: T shaped loop x2.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 3/191
Performance: Good
14:00 @ 2 miles
Course: Hilly out and back on loose gravel path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-17 11:48 PM
in reply to: #968515

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon
Way to take the age group.  This must have been a tough course based all the top finish times.
2007-09-18 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great job on the podium!  Your IT band didn't seem to slow your run time too much.
2007-09-18 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Denver
So you can run ok, huh? Thats a great time, especially with all those hills. Congrats on the win!
2007-09-18 6:37 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Congrats on your AG award and your overall place.  Amazing time for your first OWS.  A wetsuit with ankle zippers ... I sure could have used that!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed