Danskin
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 9s
Overall Rank = 757/1303
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 147/202
Pre-race routine:

i had done a lot of stuff the night before with packing the car and getting ready. i woke up before the alarm at 2:50 so i just figured i would start getting ready then. took a shower, got dressed and got everybody's breakfast ready. got the kids and pete in the car all without lots of fussing at each other and we were off. i ate my bagel with peanut butter, gatorade and coffee in the car. the whole way down shay kept saying "mommy race" "mommy bike on da car". spent some time on the phone checking in with the phenoms. at 5 i was wondering why the neediest one of them hadn't checked in yet, turns out she was farting around at home and was planning to leave in a little bit. when i told her i was already there panic took over and she started going nuts to leave, i don't think she would have made it because on a good day she lives an hour and a half away, turns out she got a huge speeding ticket got pissed and turned around and went home.
Event warmup:

waited forever to get checked in. transition was supposed to open at 5 but when i got up there at 5:15 the gates were not opened. when i got to the racks i got the second spot, introduced myself to my rack neighbor and set up. gradually my friends and family arrived and i helped some of them set up. we did a group trip to the bathroom took some pictures and got ready to go. while we were waiting for the race to start we gathered together, took turns talking mommy out of her anxiety and they started to sing the star spangled banner. my mom loves to sing so we all ended up holding hands and belting it at the top of our lungs, have to admit that we sounded awesome! gave kisses and hugs and went off to find out respective swim waves.
Swim
  • 10m 49s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

finally started at the front. and what a good idea that was. i think i was around the middle of the pack eventually but i was freestyling it and doing my regular 123 breathe from the first stroke, never got cramped. i did however swim into a big orange buoy so that was not great but i just went on about my way
What would you do differently?:

site better
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

that is a rough run back to transition but i ran it and was happy with my time

nothing really
Bike
  • 39m 45s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

had it holding around 18 on the way out. felt good and passed mucho people everyone was friendly. got passed a bit but not much. slowed down like crazy at the turn around, saw too many people wipe out last year. on the way back i was wishing for mile markers but there were none on the whole course. the head wind on the way back was a killer and i couldn't get it over 16 to save my life! lots of funny comments to and from others on the way back in. when the guy said two miles left i started to get nervous that i hadn't seen my mom so i slowed down and started scanning faces going the opposite way. i saw nearly everyone else from our group and got to cheer for them but my heartrate was going up not seeing mommy. just as i'm about 1/4 mile out i see her and yell out as loud as i can "GO MOMMY GO" and she yells back "I'M TRYING" feeling better i kick it up as best i could with such little road left and get back to transition

i forgot to take my gel
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

oh did my legs feel wobbly but i racked the bike well threw on sneakers and ran out putting on my hat and race belt I FINALLY REMEMBERED!

nothing
Run
  • 37m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

i could not get my legs under me so i ran out of T2 for the camera's sake but walked and got water and blue sports beans, yummy. as i get down the chute i hear pete yell "carol" and his friend jim yell"run so i can get a good picture" so i ran. not for long because as i rounded the next corner i see this little white hat and big glasses peeking over the fence. my 91 year old grandmother was standing there cheering "go carol" so i stopped to hug and kiss her as i do she just says "beautiful, beautiful" in my ear kisses me on each cheek and then says "go"! i have to admit that i walked more than i wanted but what the heck! chatted with some people along the way. as i was rounding the last 1/4 mile i see my best friend erica starting her run so i run over to hug her, tell her i'm proud of her and then head off to the finish line. wave to the family for a good photo and high five sally edwards and cross the line. mary and jorge are brianna were waiting there. i get my medal the dofus who removed my chip broke my shnazzy velcro band and i grabbed a water.

nothing, this was not a race about time for me although i am very proud of all my times. who am i kidding, without all the hugging would i have really gone that much faster on the run?
Post race
Warm down:

no warm down, i gave a quick kiss to pete and the girls and went out to find the rest of the gang. yelled for nora as she was crossing. saw my sister in law start her run, she was in bad shape and is actually on crutches with a sprained ankle now but she finished god bless her. saw the little one jannie booking it in, i took a couple of strides with her mary and nora but she made us back down because it would make her cry. then i waited at the run start looking for my mom. after what felt like forever, she rounds the bend with maggie, the tri friend who sold pete my bike and the overall winner of this race. she (maggie) had been sent out to sweep the back of line on the bike and she comes up on my mom not realizing it was her, they start chatting and then maggie realizes who she is and says "are you carol's mom?" so they rode the whole bike together and then maggie was staying with her on the run. anyway i did they whole 3.1 again with my mom, we walked 98% of it but it was great doing it with her and maggie stayed with us too. i just kept shouting to people "THIS IS MY MOM" when we got to the chute mary and jannie met us and we all run in together. my dad is waiting there and hugs my mom and he puts her medal on her and says to her "you weren't last!" (second to last), talk about crying! we get lots of pictures with sally edwards and the whole family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

mile markers on the bike would be good and too much switching sides of the road for the run. but the best race of my life! did i mention i knocked off 14 minutes from last year?????

Last updated: 2006-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:49 | 500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/202
Overall: 366/1303
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: two left turns
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:45 | 11 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Overall: 637/1303
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:56 | 03.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 1042/1303
Course: winding road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2007-09-17 9:52 PM
in reply to: #968629

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
You had a smokin' swim there girlie!!!  The wind made the ride back on the bike tough, but you hung in there.  In my opinion, you got your hugs on the run and kept a pretty speedy pace - the best of both worlds!!!  I had forgotten about all the switching of sides on the run - they really did need a better plan.  It is so cool that your family and friends did this race together.  Your mom is just awesome.  Oh ya, then there's the little after thought you added to the bottom of the your RR - that you just happen to beat last years time by 14 mins!!!  Way to go - you rock!!!!
2007-09-18 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
What a beautiful race report!!! Makes me want to join the fam. How great it was that you had such a great race and then beat your time by 14 min.  YOU ROCK!! Tell your mom congrats for me. Nice speedy swim and bike.  I remember the race from last year well and sure would love to come back and do that race again.
2007-09-18 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Reading your report made me cry!  Can't even begin to imagine how emotional it was for you...Thanks for sharing
2007-09-18 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

only one word describes you and your race report: PHENOMENAL!

it was a fabulous day - i'm sad it had to end...

(Danskin07 004.jpg)

(carol finish hug.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Danskin07 004.jpg (59KB - 45 downloads)
carol finish hug.jpg (64KB - 42 downloads)
2007-09-18 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
HOLY COW! 14 Minutes! You are a total rock star!!! What a great day for Team Mosc! Loved your report & Mary's...made me wish I had sisters (and a way-cool-Mom!).

WHOO WHOO WHOO! You are awesome.

Kristen

2007-09-18 8:44 PM
in reply to: #968802

User image

Veteran

sk2a2005 - 2007-09-18 7:44 AM What a beautiful race report!!! Makes me want to join the fam. How great it was that you had such a great race and then beat your time by 14 min. YOU ROCK!! Tell your mom congrats for me. Nice speedy swim and bike. I remember the race from last year well and sure would love to come back and do that race again.

my mom always wanted to adopt more kids...i can ask ha ha!

maybe we will come down and torture ourselves with ryka and you come up to the nice flat danskin! 

2007-09-22 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Great work, Carol! Knocking 14 minutes off your time is awesome! It's so cool that you get to race with your sisters and your mom.......what tri family!

edited because I realized I'd typed awesome like 5 times.

Edited by autigers_1998 2007-09-22 3:06 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed