Columbia Triathlon Association
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 47s
Overall Rank = 285/377
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 42/58
Pre-race routine:

I had a really hard time sleeping. Felt like I just dozed the entire night. Got up at 4:30am and ate my usual bagel with PB. Got dressed, drank my diet Coke and kissed my little boys who were sound asleep. Hubby got up before I left to give me hugs and help me get me nerves calmed down. I can usually keep my nerves under control... 1st Oly nerves were definitely getting the best of me...
Event warmup:

Got to the 2nd transition site and set up my site, boarded the bus down to the dock area. Once I got to the dock... my nerves disappeared. Set up my 1st transition, got my wetsuit on (EASILY!!) and watched a gorgeous sunrise over the cloudbank. Did some light calisthenics and loosened my shoulders up prior to getting the water for the swim start. Not really any place to warm up otherwise. No one was in the water prior to start.
Swim
  • 38m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Total spaz for the first 250 meters. However, I did not have to flip over onto my back and backstroke to survive this time. Very hard to get used to the mixing bowl of all the swimmers around me. Finally settled down, got my HR under control and started working on my goal of drafting off of someone and finding my rhythm in a race. My goggles were all screwed up, so I had a hard time sighting. Double vision makes it hard to pick the right buoy. I found my rhythm and someone to draft off of by the 2nd turn buoy and followed her (somewhat) into the finish. I'm sure I swam better than a mile b/c my sighting stunk. I also realized that I'm way to nice. Everytime I bumped into someone or vice versa, I caved and let them continue. WTF??? I'm way too nice and need to stick to my swim line better.
What would you do differently?:

Race more. Sight better. Calm down. Be aggressive. SWIM FASTER!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

I came out of the water feeling much better than previous races. Excellent! Wetsuit came off easily. Just seemed to flow smoothly.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Age group rank stinks... but there's a bigger picture for me here. My performance in this leg was much stronger. I avg. a higher speed for a much longer course than I've done in the past. I was much better on gear changes, hills, downhills and hydration/nutrition. I didn't blow my legs up and still managed a higher avg. speed and I passed people!

Keep working on climbing hills and improving my overall speed.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Racked my bike, helmet off, everything good... bend over to check my blood sugar before heading out on the run and I feel this awful ripping sensation through my left hamstring/adductor. OMG! Blood sugar looks good and I'm trying to assess what's up with my inner thigh. I hobble out gingerly through the transition area.
Run
  • 1h 07m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

My anterior tibs were cramping up from the beginning of the run. The grassy terrain didn't help much. Finally after 2 miles my hamstrings/adductors/tibs loosened up. Then IT WAS ON! I took off. Ran really strong through the rest of the race. The bridge at mile 5 really didn't phase me. I am so PUMPED that I did so much better on my pacing on the swim and bike. I had a lot left to give on the run course and I'm pleased with how I felt at the finish.

Not much on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, climbed the stadium steps to get to the food and water. My blood sugar had really dropped low by this point so it was all about the food. I knew that I need to get some massage of some type for my hamstring/adductors before I drove for 1 1/2 hours home. So I made that a priority. Ended up with ART - and it made a huge difference in my recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of race experience, poor bike skills, more time needed on the bike and more time in OWS.

Event comments:

The start of the run course was not ideal, but I don't think there was much the organizers could do. There hands were tied. Two transition sites was awkward and bag/stuff pickup afterwards could have been handled a bit better. However, this was one of the best races I've competed in. I actually expected much more chaos for an inaugural event, but they pulled it off smoothly! I definitely want to go back for this one next year.

Last updated: 2007-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:02 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/58
Overall: 0/377
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman sleeveless
Course: In water start to a counter clockwise loop. Exited via a floating dock and some great volunteers
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:04 | 24.85 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/58
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Started downtown and wound through Annapolis out to the countryside roads. Two big climbs and big downhills. Rest was fairly flat, with a few rolling ups and downs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:00 | 06.21 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/58
Performance:
Course: The beginning of this course was pretty crappy in my opinion. Two laps around the Navy Marine Corp Stadium over soggy, muddy, uneven grass. Hated it. Finally we got out onto the streets and wound our way around finishing up with a run up a bridge and then back to the stadium to cross the finish line at the 50yd line. The finish line was the best I've seen. The jumbotron was rockin!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon

2007-09-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #968636

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon

Congrats on your first Olympic!  I'm reading to try to decide on which Olympic to do next year for my first, and this might be one of my choices.  Great race report!

Laurie

Edited by klgray 2007-09-28 12:55 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed