North Carolina Triathlon Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 50m 33s
Overall Rank = 157/498
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/43
Pre-race routine:

I traveled to this race with tribesman. The closest hotel to the race site is 30 minutes away. Got up at 4:15am, quick shower, I drank my breakfast while he fixed oatmeal. We loaded up the car, checked out and got on the road a little later than planned so not much time to set up transition, get body marked and picked up chip. Felt a little rushed when I found out it was wetsuit legal but got everything set up with barely enough time to hit the porta-john before they called my wave.
Event warmup:

None, was at race site a little later than planned so my running around would have to do.
Swim
  • 41m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The roughest swim I've ever done. After about the first 300 yards, the wind really hit the water and created a lot of chop. This created difficulty siting and because it was an out and back, the waves would push me in to the return leg lane. I was hoping to improve on my time from GCT but ended up about 2:30min slower. The swim time included a 100yd run from swim exit to the timing mat. Not too disappointed with the time considering the rough water.
What would you do differently?:

Do some more OWS when its windy/choppy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Good T1, 2nd in my a/g. I would have preferred the bike rack to be a little bit higher because I had to angle my bike to get it under the rack. I also had a slight problem getting out of my wetsuit but recovered well.

The water temp was questionable for wetsuits up until 1 hour before swim start so I was mentally preparing to race with no wetsuit. I still should have practiced removing my wetsuit a couple of times before the race.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.82 mile/hr
Comments:

This was definitely a hilly course. However, the hardest part was probably the long false flats, headwinds/crosswinds, and rough roads. Eating on the bike doesn't work well for me, so after GCT, I switched to liquid nutrition. I had 1 premixed bottle of nutrition for the whole ride and 1 water bottle to swap out. Around mile 12, I hit some rough road and lost my nutrition bottle so I went back picked it up and took off. A little later I went to drink from the nutrition bottle but the fall loosened the top which came off spilling half my nutrition on my bike and the road. I had a hard time trying to screw the top back on and staying on the road but managed to do it without stopping again. The weather was cool enough for the ride, but the lack of nutrition caught up with me on the run, more on this later. I was able to keep my HR in the 150-155 range which is better than I had been doing in training (160-165). There were a number of false flats that caught me off guard and the headwinds on most of this course were more than I have trained in but I felt that my legs were in good shape coming off the bike.

Because the race numbers for the bike were so large, I decided to race without my Bento box. Normally, I keep extra nutrition and my CO2 in it. I had a spare tubular strapped to my Hydrotail and taped the CO2 to it but I didn't carry back-up nutrition with me. Won't happen again.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Again, 2nd in my a/g. Actually heard a couple of compliments about my flying dismount coming of the bike which was encouraging.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 08m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The paved road section wasn't that bad, but once I hit the off-road section it seemed like HILLS, HILLS, HILLS. My goal was to run the whole course with the exception of walking every other aid station. I did this but because I didn't get enough nutrition on the bike I stopped at the aid station just after mile 4 and had 2 orange slices, a 1/4 banana, and half a bag of Sun Chips. I found that by crushing the chips in my hand saved time rather than trying to chew them. Washed everything down with some water and Cytomax along with a little bit of RC Cola. However, the RC was still carbonated so burped for about the next 2 miles. I ended up doing this once more and each time I did my minutes per mile went up to 11. I kept pushing to try and get some sub-9 minute miles and only achieved that once making my run average around 9:50min/miles. Slower than my goal, but better than GCT.

I had done hill work, but I wasn't expecting this course to be that hilly. My run has come a long way over the past year and look forward to continued improvement in the off-season. I never practiced stopping to eat, and didn't want solids hanging around in my stomach while running. Fortunately, eating during the run worked out for me this time.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line, met up with tribesman, stretched, drank my Endurox and grabbed some food. Then got in the car for the long ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't trained in choppy waters or ridden with a strong headwind for long distances. Not sure how to plan/train for that. I've made a lot of improvements in my second year of triathlon, but still not where I want to be.

Event comments:

This was my second HIM and the most challenging race I have done during my 2 short seasons of triathlon. I have mixed feelings about this race. I finished, I beat my GCT HIM time, but I didn't meet my time goal. I found out that I can swim in choppy waters, ride in strong headwinds/crosswinds on a hilly course, and eat during the run. It was a humbling race after coming off strong finishes at NYC and PTC. Probably a good thing going into the off-season to let me know that I still have a lot of work to do.

Riding with tribesman to Raleigh made the 7 hour trip bearable and it was cool that our transition areas were next to each other. Although, I only saw him before and after the race. Guess I'll have to wait until next year to learn how to play that trick on him. Anyway, thanks tribesman for all your training help and tips. You really do inspire me to become a better triathlete.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/43
Overall: 167/498
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:58:32 | 56 miles | 18.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/43
Overall: 158/498
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: A loop with a lot of hills and a headwind most of the way. Parts of the route were rough roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:08:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/43
Overall: 169/498
Performance: Below average
Course: Paved road to off-road trails, 2 loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Duke Liver Center Half

2007-09-18 5:26 AM
in reply to: #968712

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half
that is a good race for this course.  The run will reach up and bite you if you're not careful and I think you did great.  Good luck with the rest of the season.
2007-09-18 9:50 AM
in reply to: #968712

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Duke Liver Center Half

Nice race and great RR.  Sorry I couldn't get a chance to meet you, but you were probably almost out of NC by the time I finished.

I found the course to be very humbling, and I got to train on it some this summer.

Great Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke Liver Center Half Rss Feed