General Discussion Race Reports! » SUBARU VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL HALF IRON and SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

SUBARU VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL HALF IRON and SPRINT TRIATHLON - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 06m 50s
Overall Rank = 3/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

The standard ensure at 4:30, then on to the oatmeal with flax and macca powder.
Event warmup:

Given that the water was really cold and uninviting I opted for a few run strides up and down the beach to get the blood flowing. I also peed in the wetsuit, this felt really good.
Swim
  • 36m 2s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a great swim. I went out hard and settled in just behind the lead group of 3. They would swim really wide at every buoy due to the current so I would just about catch up at evry turn only to lose the draft when we hit the staight. Then on the final turn they took it way too sharp and started heading for Japan. I stopped for a second and took a really good sight of the beach, then just gunned it on my own. After about 5mintues I could see they figured it out and started angling back towards me, but not in time. I got them out of the water and touched beach first (aside from the ridiculously fast 16year old relay team swimmer who was 7 minutes infront!!). Chris Brown decided to take off the wetsuit before the timing mat on the grass...I thought this was a great idea but was slow at this and crossed the timing mat in 4th. But I have a picture to prove I was 1st out of the water!!! A huge deal for me and the highlight of my day.
What would you do differently?:

I should have risked the pavement wetsuite strip and crossed the timing mat first.

http://www.fyzz.ca
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 11m
  • 84 kms
  • 38.47 km/hr
Comments:

I was a little bit eager and excited to be riding with Chris Brown and Andiy Yasterbov (3rd and 4th at IM Canada 3 weeks ago)straight out of T1. I took it out fairly hard to see if they'd let me go or just hang with me. Unfortunately they just let me tank myself and stay infront setting the pace, i really should have held back and let them do the talking. Chris pulled through on the second lap and kept it going well, Andriy was playing week and made us both think he was dying just to hang on. Sneaky Ukrainian. On the final lap I gave it a really solid effort on the climb to see if I could get a gap. This was due in part to Andriy's fake weakness, of which I thought I could take advantage. I'm not sure if I did actually get a gap but by the time we got to the first U turn they were both there. Oh well, I just paced it in for the remaining 20km hoping they were suffering as much as I.

I should have compensated for the cold by eating more. I was shivering uncontrollably for the first 2 laps and burnt more than my usual ~800 calorie intake. By the time I got to T2 I was hungry and feeling it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 18m
  • 19 kms
  • 04m 07s  min/km
Comments:

I tried to hang with Chris and Andriy out of T2 but I had nothing in the legs at all. I kept a faint order of hope that they would crack or I would get a second wind but neither came true. Afer 13km I really started feeling the hunger and my energy was getting really low. From there I gave up hope of every seeing the two leaders again and just kept looking behind me praying that I had a big enough lead over 4th. When Heather gave me a split to 4th I knew I was safe and cruise controlled it home to keep the suffering to a minimum. Fitting and successful end to a great season. Looking forward to some trail running and perhaps even a cyclo cross race or two this fall.

Post race
Warm down:

I finally didn't get any post race GI issues. No stomach pains or sickness at all. Post race food this time was simple... Chunky Chips Ahoy COOKIES. It must be the usual post race pizza or milky recovery drinks taht upset my stomach. This is the first time I stayed away from that crap and the first time without major stomach issues for 5hrs post race.

Event comments:

Last updated: 2007-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:02 | 1900 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two laps of current ridden pacific ocean.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 13C / 55F Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:11:00 | 84 kms | 38.47 km/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:18:00 | 19 kms | 04m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Beautiful run course along the Spanish banks and Pacific Spirit park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 11:32 PM

User image

Subject: SUBARU VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL HALF IRON and SPRINT TRIATHLON

2007-09-17 11:59 PM
in reply to: #968732

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: SUBARU VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL HALF IRON and SPRINT TRIATHLON
Nice work buddy, good job on sticking with those guys for so long.
2007-09-18 12:46 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Sounds like a great race for you, very well done RR, except for the lack of mystical sea creatures, other than that though.  Gives me something to shoot for next year.
2007-09-18 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Wow, solid race! Great job on the swim! Andriy and Chris are 2 amazing athletes so it shows a lot if you can keep up with them for most of the race! Great job and enjoy a bit of downtime now!
2007-09-18 12:58 PM

Master
portland, or
Congrats on a great race!

scott
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SUBARU VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL HALF IRON and SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed