General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
Total Time = 1h 59m 44s
Overall Rank = 6/19
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, have one of those "Power Crunch" bars they give out for free, eat a banana, drink a bottle of water. Rode bike about 2 miles from my apartment to the starting line
Event warmup:

Walked around a lot, went into the water with my wetsuit to get used to the temp and being wet. Our start was delayed about an hour which meant I was sweating a ton sitting in that wetsuit...
Swim
  • 17m 13s
  • 704 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Course was alright, I definitely had a better swim this time than at Redondo.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need more work on my swimming ability, but I was pleased with my performance and getting out of the water alright
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Was a long transition, I put my bike further from the transition area than I had realized and I took an extra few seconds to down water and put on sunscreen

Move quicker!
Bike
  • 1h 05m 58s
  • 21 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Some people say the course is 21 miles, other say it is 20 (as does the official map), still some posts say it is 22 miles, who knows.

Was a decent ride, my legs were sluggish (not training for a week and getting married might do that) and at one point I had to remind myself I was racing and to pick up the pace. Van_Paulus was riding right next to me for most of the bike and I did not even realize who it was. I caught up to him on Venice and when he was drinking it reminded me to drink, which was good because my hydration for the race was solid

Training was alright, just needed to ride during taper week...next year, faster!
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

I was slow in this transition, but I did change shirts from bike to run, maybe next time I will keep the same shirt on, that should save a few seconds. Also I was a bit slow switching shoes.

Not sure yet, maybe more practice
Run
  • 29m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Up the big hill and back down it. My legs were definitely feeling the effects of me not doing a lot of running since Redondo and I intend on fixing that for the Hermosa tri

I was passed by one person on the run and he ended up taking 5th. I think more brick training and running will push me up there
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a lot...I am terrible about warm-up and cool-down

Event comments:

I loved this race. The swim start/finish were too close, but other than that it was solid. The courses were well marked and I will definitely try to do this race again next year (and win!).

I was married on Sept 1st and my training for the days leading up to the wedding and after the wedding was non-existent. I know next year I can do better, but I would NEVER trade the incredible woman I married for a few minutes off my time ;)

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:13 | 704 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/19
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:58 | 21 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/19
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-18 12:24 PM

New user
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-09-18 12:28 PM
in reply to: #969413

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon - Sprint Distance
WOW! Married and LA Tri all in one month--congratulations!!! You had a really fast race, esp. the bike. I was at the swim starts but no way to tell you from Adam ... but I was there! Looking forward to meeting you at a workout one of these days.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed