United States
Ironman North America
73F / 23C
Total Time = 13h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I arrived in Madison on Thursday. Took care of reg. on Friday. During the regristration process you quickly realize this isn't your local tri. I believe in total I showed by ID and USAT card a total of 4 times, was weighed, and stopped at three or four different stations on two seperate floors of the conference hall before finishing the proces.

On Friday I meant a few Bt'ers before going to the dinner. The highlight was my elevator ride with Greg Welch. PRETTY COOL!!!!

On Saturday I went to dinner with my three friends that made the journey from Chicago only to be suprised at dinner with about seven MORE friends. My posse was now reaching a dozen for this event! NO PRESSURE THERE!!

Event warmup:

I woke up at 3:30 feeling nothing. It was very business like, I wasn't nervous or excited. I packed my special needs bags. I had some low level Infinit mix and three pop tarts as well as some coffee to get the system moving. I walked my special needs bags over to Starbucks and went back to the hotel to gather my Dry clothes bag and headed over to the terrace to pace, I mean wait. The rooms were filled with atheletes just staring down. No one was laughing or making small talk, if you were with someone you had one word conversations..questions were answered with a nod or a shrug of the shoulders. There was no talk of riping up the bike course or crushing the swim. Uncertainty filled the room.

Went down the helix and was probably the first age grouper in the water and lined up near the shore and just bobbed in the water for 20 mins in the front row.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 1s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was expecting a 1:05 swim as the absolute worse case senerio. A ended up so fare wide I was to the right of the kayakers and swam my own little race. I didn't see a pair of feet until the first buoy, I was at lease 50 yards wide and knew I was in trouble and wouldn't be posting my hour swim. I would stay wide the entire swim, suprisely it felt good and I never had urge to get in the mix. I think this strategy would help me later in the day. The second loop was more of the same, out wide by myself with just my thoughts. I hit land as 1:13 clicked over on the clock and just thought 'wow' that was slow. I was thinking 1:10 worst case senerio based on glancing at the clock during the 1st loop. The good news, I felt great - legs, back, heart heart everything was in place for a great bike and I was in full sprint mode up the helix. The screaming fans were amazing...
Transition 1
  • 07m 43s
Comments:

I was in row 12 and went right to my bag as a volunteer was yelling my number..I just yelled back...I got it. I knew exactly where bad was and quickly hit the change room. Very business like, dumped my bag. Glasses, helmet, on and buckled. Stood up put my belt on and grabbed my shoes and off I went...Had my shoulders greesed up, screaming THANKS as I went to grab Queen bee. I was ready to start the day....
Bike
  • 6h 52m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I had ridden the course six or so different times throughout the summer. I could give you directions and describe each hill in great detail. I knew how to ride the course and it was time to execute the plan. On the down tube and seat tube I had 900 calorie feed bottles full of Infinit. My aero bottle had 300 calories and needed to be finished by the time I hit Vernona. I was planning on a seven hour bike split based on training rides. I knew this would leave me fresh for the run. I was going to add 1/3 a feed bottle and water at each aid station to my aero bottle. This would give my needed calories and liquid. I hit the 'water only' station just passed sugar river road and filled the bottle, but felt FULL. I was very alert turning onto route 92 as I knew chains would be dropped and sure enough just missed a small pile up. The ride into Mt Horeb was easy but my HR was way to high but I wasn't too concerned as the ride 'felt right'. The climb into Mt Horeb I wasn't ready for a refill but slammed by bottle to follow the plan...I was still very full. I had a mental fart turing on Route S. I dropped my chain. I just shifted into the small ring for no reason and quickly bitched slapped myself and said get it together sanborn. I was looking forward to the ride into Cross Plaines as my tri club was manning the station. It was great to hear the extra screems! I was a celebrity. I stopped in Verona to whizz as I had stage fright during the ride and couldn't go on the bike. I was still VERY FULL. I realized that I was hitting aid stations every 45 mins. So I was a full bottle ahead on my nutrietion. My stomach wasn't emptying fast enough! The second loop the wind picked up but my support crew was out in full force and the tri club was giving me tons of love...The second loop went smoothly. However back in Vernoa I switched to cliff blocks for calories as I couldn't take in more liquid. I was way ahead on liquid. The ride back to Madison, I mentally checked out on Whalen. I was preparing for the run and sat up and soft peddled into Madison. The ride up the helix wasn't nearly as fun as riding down :)
What would you do differently?:

I should have realized I would hit aid stations sooner.
Transition 2
  • 07m 15s
Comments:

Again very business like. Grabbed my bag and dumped out my shoes and fresh socks. The room was full of scattered equipment and guys were laying on the floor - sitting with there heads between their legs trying to muster up the will to coninue. I grabbed some vaseline and lubed my underarms. The chaffing was out of control (as I write this, it hasn't healed and its been 9 days). I had full energy still and my legs were back right away..my only issues was my burping. I was so full and started to wonder what how my run would go...

In-and-out. Very smooth.
Run
  • 4h 58m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The tiny hill out of T2 was great. I saw my peeps and they went crazy. I was flying and hit the first aid station and drank (no idea why). I realized I would need calories but not liquid. My stomach couldn't handle the liquid. At mile 4, I run up on a tri clubber and said I needed to puke. I pulled over and went into a port-ap-potty and let it fly!!! I felt sooooo much better. My stomach was back to normal. I would take in one coke and chicken broth at each station while taking 200mg of salt tabs three times an hour. I was okay until mile 8-9 and I started to get GI cramping. I had game planned this and popped a pepto pill and they would go away! I was a mobile pharmacy. I had tums, pepto, tynenol, and salt. I could survive for a week! Running back to the capital my buddy from the tri club reached me and we flew up the hill and around the capital (he was finishing!!). The second loop started out great. I wasn't thinking about another 13.1 miles. I was thinking aid station to aid station - coke, broth, salt. Mile 17/18 my feet started to hurt from the pounding and I gave into the walk. I had only walk the aid stations but mentally I guess I couldn't hack the feet poudning. Mile 18-20 I gave in would walk portions of the those miles. I had a gut check moment around mile 20 and said - you have the energy - pain is temporary finish what you started! I saw friends and family several times and Robbie Ventura (US Postal rider) would cheer for me on State street (okay he was cheering everyone but still...). I saw them handing out glow sticks and ran right past the kids..I was finishing this sucka.

I had envisioned the finish in my head hundreds of times. Every run during the summer I thought about the finish. I would tear up during training runs just thinking about Mike Riley calling my name...To be honest. I don't remember much about the finish. I remember a fist pump, bright lights, and hundreds of people screaming their heads off. I have no idea if Mike Riley called my name. It was no longer about that moment. It was about the journey that lasted 12 months: Hundreds of training hours, dozens of road trips to wisconsin and through illinois, meeting bt'ers, seeing friends/family crying at the finish. That is what I remember.

Loop one: 2:27
Loop Two: 2:30

I was on pace for a negative split but got weak mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran over and grabbed my stuff and made a few phone calls. Went out for beer and pizza and cheered on the late night finishers.

Event comments:

I didn't give it my all - clearly if you can run (litterly run) and get your bike, meet friends out for beer and pizza...you didn't leave it all out on the couse. That's okay, there is always next time. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:01 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:52:26 | 112 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:58:27 | 26.2 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-18 6:23 PM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2007-09-18 7:57 PM
in reply to: #969969

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Great job, Hayes!  I like the way you reflected back on the previous 12 month journey.  It goes by so fast.  Weird how your swim panned out - I was thinking sub 60 for you much of the summer.  Still worked out though.  Congrats IRONMAN!!
2007-09-18 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Congratulations, Ironman! You were definitly prepared for things on the run!
2007-09-19 12:09 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats on a great Ironman race!  Fun race report too....a walking pharmacy; I like that   Thanks for sharing your story.
2007-09-19 10:58 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

quoted: "I knew exactly where bad was"

That sounds funny, like: I'm sooooo bad that I knew where my bad was! (I know you mistyped and meant bag, but this was something I couldn't pass up).

Your picture posse looked like a great support crew!

BTW - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed