General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disassembling a bike to ship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-19 10:07 AM

Master
Boston
Subject: Disassembling a bike to ship

Hey guys,
Barry and I are going on vacation to Florida in a week and a half. We want to bring our bikes with us, but are not sure how to do it. I called the LBS here and they charge about $45 to disassemble each bike. So, $90 for both our bikes. That doesn't even include the shipping cost of FedEx or UPS. Plus, I would have to pay for a LBS in Fla. to re-assemble the bikes. It's looking like a costly endeavor.

So, my question is, how easy is it to take apart a bike? Is it something I, or Barry could do? Do we need any sort of special tools?

I would appreciate any advice on how to get our bikes to Fla. in the cheapest way possible. Thanks.

2007-09-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #970600

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Disassembling a bike to ship

Depends on what you're packing it in (which is another proposition/post altogether), but IMHExperience, what I see typically is you have to remove:

• Wheels (no tools if you have QR skewers)
  • Seat post/seat assembly (proper size allen wrench)
  • Pedals (15MM? open-end wrench, pedal wrench is better. <$25)
  • Handlebars (proper size allen wrench)

Total of <$30 in tools, with practice and basic competency it's a 15-minute operation on each end.

To get it there is going to be expensive enough without being over-charged by the LBS for assembly. Flying is going to be as much as $100 , shipping maybe $50-$75. Each way. Per bike.

Cheapes way: ride them! Second cheapest: drive with them in the back.

Edited by the bear 2007-09-19 10:30 AM
2007-09-19 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
If you think you are going to be traveling with your bike for races or vacations over the years, it is definitely worth it to learn how to disassemble and reassemble your bike. The first time I did it, I made an appointment with my LBS to pack up the bike WITH ME WATCHING. I then had no trouble reassembling the bike. Some LBS's are more accomodating than others about letting you watch, and are more flexible on the cost. I rented the bike box from mine. They charged me for the use of the box, but nothing extra to pack up the bike.

I know of no cheap way to transport a bike other than Bear's idea of riding it or driving with it. It is also a major pain. Either you are lugging it through airports, or if you ship it, you are without the use of it for an extended period (also having once worked for UPS, I wouldn't ship a bike I cared about).

I would look into renting a bike in FL. Less hassel and almost certainly less expensive.
2007-09-19 11:29 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Get a travel case, you can rent them from the LBS.

You will need to remove exactly what Bear said. I reccommend putting a marking on the seatpost, and handlebars so you can align them easily when you put it back together.

Also, besides the pedals, you can probably dissassemble all the parts you need with a multi-tool. I dont really reccommend it, but you could do it. I'd do as Bear said, and just go buy a few tools, and get it done.

Also, www.sheldonbrown.com is a great resource for bike repairs.
2007-09-19 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Traveled with mine from NY to CA this past week for the Malibu tri. I bought the Velo compact case from my LBS, you can probably rent one from your LBS or find one on EBAY.

Getting it in the case required removing seat, handlebars, pedals, and wheels, pretty easy with a standard allen wrench. Mark your seatpost as suggested above.

Jetblue charged $50 for oversized shipping, if you have the case that can hold both bikes you'll probably only get charged for one. Shipping fee varies from airline to airline.

Learn to do it since it's pretty easy, and you'll enjoy all of your trips more and not skip your workouts!
2007-09-19 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
So kind of along the same lines. I'm moving using a commercial company should I pack my bike for them to load up with the rest of my stuff, or take it myself? And will a LBS give me a cardboard bike box that one of there bikes came in to use?

2007-09-19 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Adam- Last year we moved from MD to MN with a commercial mover.  On several suggestions, I opted to pack my own bikes instead of letting the movers pack them.  I went to the bike shop and they gave me a couple of used cardboard cartons.  I disassembled and packed them myself, being careful to mark "FRAGILE" and "THIS END UP" on the boxes.  And I was there when they went on the truck.  Good luck with your move!

Pattie

2007-09-19 2:57 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Here are two very helpful links:

How to take apart your bike, steo by step and with many pictures
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/packing-steps.shtml

And a primer on flying with your bike
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/packing.shtml

Both courtesy of bikesport michigan.

Good luck!

Murph
2007-09-19 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
Thanks rowdypaint. I would not have thought to do the whole fragile this end up thing. We are hauling a uhaul behind the car, so I might just put the boxed bike in there just so I have peace of mind.
2007-09-20 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,
Is this something that would work for me to pack my bike cross country. I just dont trust the movers.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20104&estore_ID...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disassembling a bike to ship Rss Feed