General Discussion Race Reports! » York Hospital 5K Road and Cross Country Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

York Hospital 5K Road and Cross Country Race - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
York, Maine
United States
York Hospital
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 19s
Overall Rank = 163/168
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Frustrated because Kent was supposed to take the girls (7 YO and 6 MO); I almost didn't go. I wanted to walk this because I had only been walking for 2 months. I felt sorry for myself because it was threatening to rain. Finally I said, the heck with it, I'll go...and I took the baby in the jogging stroller and Maddy had to walk and run with me.
Event warmup:

Stretching, standing around feeling ridiculous. Knew I'd come in last or nearly so. (I was right!) But I DID IT!
Run
  • 59m 19s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 16m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a baby and a 7 year old with me. The 7 year old actually was OK jogging a bit, so we did it faster than I thought we would! I usually walked a 20 minute mile, so this was better.
What would you do differently?:

Actually train for it! I decided to sign up so I could walk and jog a little. I did this blindly; just showed up with shoes and let 'er rip!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around and drank water, stretched just a little bit but not much. Listened to how a 65 year old ran a 6:46 pace, coming in at 23:41--over twice as fast as me, and I'm 24 years younger! That definitely lit a fire under my back end. Next time I will be faster!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of cardiovascular fitness, being a walker/jogger for only 2 months prior to this (not counting 2 more months on a treadmill really slowly), being 6 months post-partum and spending the previous 17 years about 80 pounds heavier than I was on this day.

Event comments:

York Hospital's catering/nutrition section is phenomenal. The post-race food was excellent. York Hospital is one of those places people go to just to have dinner, believe it or not, so the bread with Boursin cheese, tons of fresh fruit, yogurt, and so forth were very well-received. My 7 year old discovered that she LOVES Boursin cheese!

Last updated: 2007-09-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:19 | 03.5 miles | 16m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/168
Performance: Good
Course: The course took runners through 3+miles of scenic York Village and York Harbor.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-21 9:24 PM

User image

, Maine
Subject: York Hospital 5K Road and Cross Country Race

2007-09-22 9:57 AM
in reply to: #975041

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: York Hospital 5K Road and Cross Country Race

Karina,
Good job on the race, getting out there even though you had to bring your kids.  Going from 80+ pounds more to where you are now is great.  I am sure as you walk and jog you will get faster.  Just keep building your base miles and work on speed as you can.

Running on a treadmill is much harder than running on the sidewalk or bike path.

Someone once told me, you can not control who else shows up at a race, you really only race against yourself and the clock. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » York Hospital 5K Road and Cross Country Race Rss Feed