United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was not a race. It was a charity bike ride to raise money for the family of a 2 year old that was having a bone marrow transplant. Sam died before the ride occurred however. This only made me want to do the ride even more (because of Kameron). I was tired and dehydrated going into this ride due to yesterday's 20 mile run. So, I decided that I did want to do the entire metric century, but I would need to take it slow.
Event warmup:

I arrived at St. Patrick's Church at 8:20. I had pre-registered, so I went to check in and get my t-shirt. Sam's picture was on the t-shirts. I couldn't believe how much he looked like Kameron.

I didn't really do any warm-up. I just got ready to go and waited. Before we started, Sam's father gave a speech. It made me cry. Most of what he said about Sam reminded me of Kameron.
Bike
  • 2h 01m 41s
  • 36.12 miles
  • 17.81 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride was pretty good. It was foggy and very humid, but the weather was fairly cool. I had gone out planning to ride 65 miles. On the way out of town, the group sort of formed into groups based on the paces we were riding. I was comfortable in the group I was riding in. We were riding between 19-20 mph. But around 10 miles I decided that I would not be able to hold this pace for 65 miles. So, I slowed down and let the pack leave me. I got into aero position and settled into a nice pace of about 17mph. After a couple of miles, one of the members of the pack came back for me. So, I rode with him until we got to the rest area at mile 20. The rest of the group was waiting for us. So I refilled my water bottle and got a snack and when the group left, I went with them. I decided I would keep up as long as I could and see what happened. When we got to where the courses divided, my entire group decided to do the 36 mile course. So, I decided at that moment to stick with them instead of heading off on my own. I think it was the best decision. At the pace I was riding, I would have bonked on the 65 miles anyway. This was probably much better race prep for my triathlon in 2 weeks. I did a shorter than planned course, but went a lot harder than I would have on the 65 mile course.

We kept a 20 mph average for most of the ride. We had to go a little slower while in the city limits. And we had to stop at several red lights get in and out of town.

At the rest area, the ground was a bit muddy. I got mud in my cleats and I had trouble attaching to my pedals when we started back up. I did manage to finally get clipped in and didn't think any more about it. Then we hit the first red light coming back into town. I normally unclip my left foot when I stop. It wouldn't unclip!! I did manage to get my right foot unclipped in time. But restarting the bike felt a little funny because I was using the opposite foot than what I was used to. At the third stop light, I again unclipped with my right foot (left still wouldn't come out). When the light turned green, I pushed off with my left foot. I must have pushed a little too hard because my bike started to fall the the left. I still couldn't get my foot out and over I fell! I skinned my knee a little, but no other damage (except to my ego). We were only a couple of miles away from the finish at this point thank goodness.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I rode my bike around the parking lot a bit. Didn't really do much of a cool-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leftover fatigue from yesterday's 20 mile run.

Last updated: 2007-09-22 12:00 AM
Biking
02:01:41 | 36.12 miles | 17.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course started at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. It went through downtown Fayetteville, then out to Eastover. We rode to Wade and then came back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-22 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Bike Ride for Sam

2007-09-29 10:56 AM
in reply to: #975259

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Bike Ride for Sam
Sounds like a good choice to cut it short. It was for a good cause and I think the faster pace will help at the race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bike Ride for Sam Rss Feed