Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the dumbest thing you've done with somebody watching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-09-22 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: What's the dumbest thing you've done with somebody watching
So today I am out doing a 70 mile bike ride getting ready for my first tri in a few weeks. It was not the best of days, stayed up too late last night partaking of adult beverages and over slept.

Didn't have time for coffee so I downed an espresso gel (yes they are as gross as they sound, but I need my caffeine in the morning) grabbed a Cliff bar, a few more gels, filled my water bottles and I was finally on my ride.

The ride was uneventful until I encountered the Kamikaze squirrel on the bike path. He stood up on his hind legs and watched me approaching. Usually they just run off, but he didn't move. We locked eyes, and I realized he wasn't going to move. So, I swerved left and at the very last second he runs left as well, right into my wheel. He bounced off the wheel and on to my shoe. In my manliest way possible, I screamed like a girl. I looked back half expecting to see him on his back and his life passing in front of his eyes. But he was gone.

But that wasn't the stupid part of my day. When I hit about 55 mile mark, I bonked hard. I was all out of gels and the only water I had left came from the water fountain at the end of the trail. It tasted awful, and was cloudy and yellow. So I was mega dehydrated. I knew that if I could make it to the 60 mile mark there was a gas station and I could grab a sports drink and get back on track. After a half hour of pain, I get to the gas station. I walk in, greet the clerk, take off my helmet, and make my way to the cooler. I grab a Gatoraid and pay for it and put my helmet back on.

I see a woman sitting in her car in the parking lot and she smiles at me. I am feeling pretty good about myself, and I smile back. As I am pouring the Gatoraid into my water bottle I catch my reflection in the window of the store. I am wearing my helmet backwards. And for bonus stupid points, its and areo helmet.

So, make me feel less stupid, and share your stupid moments. Please.....

2007-09-22 5:21 PM
in reply to: #975312

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Subject: RE: What's the dumbest thing you've done with somebody watching
I was in a hurry to get home. So when I exited the subway, I avoided a mass of people by jumping over a bike rack.

After placing a foot on the rack and jumped up, the rack became untied to the ground and I fell hard.

I was in my business suit for an interview at the time.

Some other middle aged man just looked at me with the thoughts "what the h*** is wrong with you??"
2007-09-22 6:02 PM
in reply to: #975372

Champion
South Jersey

Last weekend, I was out riding and it was quite windy. I got to this one light and had to stop because it was red. I was in the shoulder and planned on traveling straight. The first two cars in line wanted to turn right. My plan was to let them go since they technically had the right of way over me (had gotten there first), and also because this light is on an incline and I tend to have a little trouble getting a good push and clicking in there.

So, the light turns green and I motion for the first car to go. Unforutately, although very kindly, she insisted I go first. At this point, the traffic coming in the other direction is held up, because the lead car wants to make a left and is waiting on me. Everyone is waiting on me. So, I push off, but due to the hill, I had resistance moving forward and due to the wind, it felt like I was about to get blown over. For fear of having a clipping-in incident in front all the cars sitting at this stoplight, who were obviously all watching me, because I was the one responsible for the light being at a gridlock, I decided to push my way through the intersection.  So, I had one foot clipped in, and was pushing myself along with the other foot. I felt like a dork, but I figured no one will really care; it's not like they ride. Then, I get across the intersection and this guy rolls down his window, sticks his head out, and yells, "ARE YOU OKAY!?!?!?" Me: "Yes, I'm fine." Him: "ARE YOU SURE!!!" Me: "Yes." I look over to notice he had a road bike hitched to his car. So, I felt dumb that I had one of those "Seriously, I do know how to ride a bike" moments in front of a zillion people, but then one of them actually ends up being a cyclist! Urgh.

I guess this story would have made you feel better if I had actually fallen in the middle of the intersection, but it was still embarrasing to me.

2007-09-22 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Michigan
Wow, you guys are idiots!

To make you feel better, the other day I was test riding a bike that I was considering for purchase.
I got to a four way stop with cars stopped at the other three sides. There was a gas station, a bar, a restaurant, and another bar (It was the middle of redneckville). So, there were a lot of people around. As I approached the stop sign, I tried to unclip from my pedals. Mission failed... the tension in the pedals was so high that I just couldn't unclip in time.

So, I spilled in front of a bunch of people... as I regain my composure and stand back up, I realize that there are at least 15 different people standing around laughing at me. Worse yet I landed in dog dooo!

It wasn't my fault though! I had never ridden that bike before, and the pedal tension was WAY to high!
2007-09-22 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

posed in my bikini for a butt picture taken by my 6 year old daughter while my husband was out of the house and posted it on BT before he got home

2007-09-22 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Mike Ervolina - 2007-09-22 3:36 PM So today I am out doing a 70 mile bike ride getting ready for my first tri in a few weeks. It was not the best of days, stayed up too late last night partaking of adult beverages and over slept. Didn't have time for coffee so I downed an espresso gel (yes they are as gross as they sound, but I need my caffeine in the morning) grabbed a Cliff bar, a few more gels, filled my water bottles and I was finally on my ride. The ride was uneventful until I encountered the Kamikaze squirrel on the bike path. He stood up on his hind legs and watched me approaching. Usually they just run off, but he didn't move. We locked eyes, and I realized he wasn't going to move. So, I swerved left and at the very last second he runs left as well, right into my wheel. He bounced off the wheel and on to my shoe. In my manliest way possible, I screamed like a girl. I looked back half expecting to see him on his back and his life passing in front of his eyes. But he was gone. But that wasn't the stupid part of my day. When I hit about 55 mile mark, I bonked hard. I was all out of gels and the only water I had left came from the water fountain at the end of the trail. It tasted awful, and was cloudy and yellow. So I was mega dehydrated. I knew that if I could make it to the 60 mile mark there was a gas station and I could grab a sports drink and get back on track. After a half hour of pain, I get to the gas station. I walk in, greet the clerk, take off my helmet, and make my way to the cooler. I grab a Gatoraid and pay for it and put my helmet back on. I see a woman sitting in her car in the parking lot and she smiles at me. I am feeling pretty good about myself, and I smile back. As I am pouring the Gatoraid into my water bottle I catch my reflection in the window of the store. I am wearing my helmet backwards. And for bonus stupid points, its and areo helmet. So, make me feel less stupid, and share your stupid moments. Please.....

of course, the squirrel noticed the backwards helmet too and assumed he could take you down

2007-09-22 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Michigan
posed in my bikini for a butt picture taken by my 6 year old daughter while my husband was out of the house and posted it on BT before he got home

Bless your soul!

Edited by Cheetah 2007-09-22 7:10 PM
2007-09-22 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I caught two people have sex this week in a van. They didn't even know I was watching. After about 30-45 seconds the guy looks at me and I tell him thanks for the show. It was priceless because the girl immediately started crying. Can't get any dumber than fornicating for the police.
2007-09-22 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

Rowdy - we are fessing up to our OWN stupid things.....

I was riding my mtn bike across the sports field while the rugby team was practicing.   I was not on the actual part they were using.   i get to the edge when someone yells "Hey Mary!" and I turn my head and am looking to see who called  me when there is a shallow narrow ditch, just about the radius of my tire, and I drop into it and do a slow-mo endo.

i was wearing a skirt.  

The rugby team cheered.

2007-09-22 11:04 PM
in reply to: #975468

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-09-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: #975513

Pro
Irvine, California
bootygirl - 2007-09-22 8:39 PM

I was riding my mtn bike across the sports field while the rugby team was practicing.   I was not on the actual part they were using.   i get to the edge when someone yells "Hey Mary!" and I turn my head and am looking to see who called  me when there is a shallow narrow ditch, just about the radius of my tire, and I drop into it and do a slow-mo endo.

i was wearing a skirt.  

(worthless.gif)

Attachments
----------------
worthless.gif (24KB - 4 downloads)

2007-09-23 10:39 PM
in reply to: #975381

Master
Calgary, Alberta
LaurenSU02 - 2007-09-22 5:02 PM

I guess this story would have made you feel better if I had actually fallen in the middle of the intersection, but it was still embarrasing to me.

If it makes you feel any better - I've taken it to the next extreme and fallen in the intersection.

I'd had my clipless pedals for about 6 weeks when I was out for a ride one Saturday morning.  On my way home along a major road here in Calgary I shifted down to my lowest gear and got the bike cruising along at about 60km/hour.  At the intersection where I need to turn left I didn't make the light so hit the brakes, unclipped my left foot, and came to a stop.

As I was the only "vehicle" in the left hand turn lane I knew I wouldn't get the turning signal as this intersection has those sensors in the pavement.  But I knew by leaning my bike over till it was just about lying on the ground it can trigger the sensor so this is what I did.  I could feel people looking over at me but hey - it works.

The light turned green (I got the turn signal) so I jumped up on the pedals.  Sh_t - still in my lowest gear but I've started to enter the intersection so as I gently push down with my left foot that isn't clipped into the pedal I strain to pull up on my right pedal.  SNAP - my right foot pedal releases my foot with the tension as my left foot slips off the pedal, skates across the ground and I come down hard on my left side with my bike cartwheeling over the top of me.  As I dare not make any eye contact I quickly jump to my feet, pick up my bike and quickly push it through the pedestrian walk (as quick as you can run with clipless shoes).

2007-09-24 8:54 AM

Crystal Lake, IL

To the OP - that's a great story.  That's the best, when not only do you do something stupid but you think you are being all cool only to find out how stupid you look.  Fortunately that never happens to me all the time.

This isn't as good as that, but this last spring I'm on an early morning long ride up into Wisconsin.  I'm coming back and I get to the stop sign at 173.  Now, at this time of day there is very little traffic so I usually roll up to this sign and if its clear I go if there's a car coming I turn around and make a small circle and come back so that I don't have to unclip.  Well I see a car coming so I turn but apparently I misjudged how much room I had and how fast I was going.  I had to go onto the shoulder to complete the 180.  I did not realize the shoulder was super soft from the rain the night before and the instant my front tire hit it it sank several inches.  I completely endo'd.  It totally sucked.  The best part was that it ended up occurring just as the car went past so the driver had a perfect view, and it was a county Sheriff. 

2007-09-24 9:02 AM

Champion
Chicago
I've never, ever done anything stupid. Ever.
2007-09-24 9:04 AM
in reply to: #976405

Crystal Lake, IL

mr2tony - 2007-09-24 9:02 AM I've never, ever done anything stupid. Ever.

I expected to see a picture of you with your double - O - goggle look going on.

2007-09-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: #976410

Champion
Chicago
hangloose - 2007-09-24 9:04 AM

mr2tony - 2007-09-24 9:02 AM I've never, ever done anything stupid. Ever.

I expected to see a picture of you with your double - O - goggle look going on.

That's not stupid. That's just hot.

2007-09-24 9:42 AM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Does the wrong kind of threesome count?
2007-09-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #976148

Champion
South Jersey
CalgaryRunner - 2007-09-23 11:39 PM
LaurenSU02 - 2007-09-22 5:02 PM

If it makes you feel any better - I've taken it to the next extreme and fallen in the intersection.

I'd had my clipless pedals for about 6 weeks when I was out for a ride one Saturday morning.  On my way home along a major road here in Calgary I shifted down to my lowest gear and got the bike cruising along at about 60km/hour.  At the intersection where I need to turn left I didn't make the light so hit the brakes, unclipped my left foot, and came to a stop.

As I was the only "vehicle" in the left hand turn lane I knew I wouldn't get the turning signal as this intersection has those sensors in the pavement.  But I knew by leaning my bike over till it was just about lying on the ground it can trigger the sensor so this is what I did.  I could feel people looking over at me but hey - it works.

The light turned green (I got the turn signal) so I jumped up on the pedals.  Sh_t - still in my lowest gear but I've started to enter the intersection so as I gently push down with my left foot that isn't clipped into the pedal I strain to pull up on my right pedal.  SNAP - my right foot pedal releases my foot with the tension as my left foot slips off the pedal, skates across the ground and I come down hard on my left side with my bike cartwheeling over the top of me.  As I dare not make any eye contact I quickly jump to my feet, pick up my bike and quickly push it through the pedestrian walk (as quick as you can run with clipless shoes).

Oh man!!!

2007-09-24 10:10 AM
in reply to: #976490

Crystal Lake, IL

tmwelshy - 2007-09-24 9:42 AM Does the wrong kind of threesome count?

I didn't think you'd be into 3 guys but whatever floats your boat, dude.

Oh, wait, were you talking about Tony and his 2 pairs of goggles?

2007-09-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #976548

Champion
Chicago
hangloose - 2007-09-24 10:10 AM

tmwelshy - 2007-09-24 9:42 AM Does the wrong kind of threesome count?

I didn't think you'd be into 3 guys but whatever floats your boat, dude.

Oh, wait, were you talking about Tony and his 2 pairs of goggles?

Hey that's a whole lot of goggle goodness right there, brutha.

Back on topic -- I've done the super slo-mo clipped-in-the-pedals-at-an-intersection fall before. I really can't think of anything I've done that was that stupid -- I once tripped while running onto the field before a football game and took out three other people, but we weren't quite to the banner yet so nobody really noticed, except the other team's fans of course.
2007-09-24 10:20 AM

Elite
Muskego, WI
In the non-triathlon category...how about this.  A friend is launching his boat.  He's backing it into the water.  I've got a rope attached to the rear of the boat in my hands as he's backing her in.  I'm walking along side the boat on the pier, watching the boat carefully.  I walked right off the end of the pier.  I was so surprised instinct took over and I just leaped back up on the pier, rope still in my hands, and continued like nothing happened, 'cept for the fact I'm dripping wet of course.

2007-09-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: #976565

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

(aggie truck.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
aggie truck.JPG (95KB - 5 downloads)
2007-09-24 10:44 AM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Or how about this:

(950.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
950.jpg (88KB - 7 downloads)
2007-09-24 12:20 PM
in reply to: #976596

Ah, the pride of Texas A&M!

2007-09-24 2:26 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
There was this wedding in 1997... I was in it. The groom. Lots of people watching.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the dumbest thing you've done with somebody watching Rss Feed  

of 2