United States
Illinois Valley Wheelm'n
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Alarm at 5:30, stumbled downstairs for coffee. Poured a bowl of cereal only to find out we didn't have any milk, so I ate it dry. Packed up gear and drove 15 miles to the start.

Checked in, thanked volunteers as I picked up route info and my packet. Met up with another local triathlete.
Event warmup:

Nothing. I figured the first few miles could be my "warmup"
Bike
  • 7h 00m
  • 105 miles
  • 15.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a great time, and I'd do this ride again. One couple came down from Chicago (150 miles) to do it, and I talked to a guy from Wisconsin.
What would you do differently?:

First time, I was happy to trade speed for riding companions. I was shooting for 6 hours riding (the common point between a faster pace wearing out my legs and a longer ride abusing my butt). My butt will forgive me.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapse into my car. Legs stiffened up during the drive (I walked around the finish area about 20-30 minutes). Stopped at a couple of stores on the way home (driving by stores I don't normally drive by).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've only ridden once a week for the last 6 weeks (and not at all last weekend). I got 3-4-5 hour rides in leading up to Labor day. I know I violated the whole 10% per week increase each of those rides (and today).

Event comments:

Worth doing again. Weather this time of year can be a challenge, but we had a great day.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Biking
07:00:00 | 105 miles | 15.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Rest area at 62 miles that we hit in 4 hours. 5:20 or so at mile 79. Really slowed down after that.
Wind: Some
Course: All over. Right at the start is a screaming downhill. First thing in the morning and I'm 35 mph as the sun is coming up and it's about 60F (warmup?) Lots of rolling hills (1730 feet of climbing when I mapped it). Stopped at Hanna City (14 miles) at a Hawiian theme station. Grabbed some eats, went pee, and the two of us hooked up with two more riders (one training for IMFL). Headed out for a 25 mile loop ending back up at HC. More eats, more pee, then we headed over to Elmwood. The (about mile 50). The volunteers at Elmwood had a French theme with sparkling juice, croissants, brie and crackers, and escargot stuffed mushrooms (pretty good!). We headed North to Brimfield (mile 62) for more eats and more pee (this is all good). Hit Brimfield about 12:15 (4 hours riding, 1:15 eating/peeing). As we headed out of Brimfield, my first riding partner turned back to stop (his legs were cramping) so I rode on with the two ladies. Got back to the start/finish about 1:30 (5:20ish riding) which was 79 miles but my right knee started hurting soon after we left Brimfield. Stopped for eats and had a bowl of chili. The three of us looked carefully at our cars...ride another 25 miles or call it a day??? We decided to try for the full 100+. The first lady took off ahead of us, and we caught her about 3 miles down the road and rode together for 4-5 miles. She was slowing down lots more than the other lady and I, so we rode ahead. About mile 86, I hit a patch of gravel in the middle of the lane (I'd been very cautious all day). Lots of theatrics, a little butt pucker, and I somehow managed to stay upright. My riding partner asked if I wanted to stop for a minute (I don't know, I'll tell you as soon as my heart starts beating again...) We motor on into Princeville (94 miles) both fading badly (it's now about 3 and has warmed up to the mid 80's). We've been fighting winds most of the last hour and hills all day, and my riding partner isn't impressed with "up...down...up...down..." (the "down" is OK, the "up" is the problem). Several times since Elmwood, she's put the hammer down and when I finally catch up to her I ask who she's chasing down? (Heather Fuhr, Michelle Jones, Desiree Flicker?) She laughs each time. One last time heading into Princeville, she's got that look again, so I ask. Doesn't help, I'd gotten to the pit stop about 2 minutes ahead of her, and when I look outside to see if she's there, she's already got her bike on the sag wagon. She tells me she's calling it a day, no reason to really get hurt (she still had lots to do today). As I leave Princeville (riding alone for the first time all day_for the last 10 miles, both knees are killing me. I'm making pretty good time, but it really hurts, and I'll be glad when it's done. Ended up being 11 miles back to the start for a total of 105 and I came in right at 7 hours (3:50 PM, so 1:50 for stops). Changed clothes, and the second lady came through a little later for her 100. Thanks the Race Director profusely, and headed to the car. Tired, sore, sunburned, windburned, but a century finisher!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-22 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: No Baloney Ride
Interesting observation:  When I volunteered to help at the Proctor Cycling Classic, the participants were racers.  Lots of high-tech frames, Record/Dura-Ace/SRAM drivetrains, Zipp or Hed wheels.....Today I saw lots of vintage bikes.  The dingy 20-30 year old frames, downtube shifters (a few converted to bar-end), bar-tape barely hanging on but everyone was having a good time. 

Edited by McFuzz 2007-09-22 7:54 PM

2007-09-22 10:34 PM
in reply to: #975439

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: No Baloney Ride
Nice ride. Yeah, maybe next year we'll hook up and ride together. I noticed the bikes as well, but if I had another, cheaper bike, I'd have ridden it instead due to the gravel and bumps. The eats were excellent though.
2007-09-23 12:43 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Group rides are great fun.  You come out with your comfort bike, not the feather light one, the one that you can ride forever.  Sure you might enjoy riding a light one, but you really want to feel good ALL day.

Congrats completing your century, it is quite a accomplishment.  And I do recall the last 20 miles feeling like it took forever, even if it only took 90 minutes.

2007-09-23 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
You rock Mike!  A century finisher!  Take a few days to let the old body heal up a bit and then get back on that bike - snow isn't too far away!  Ice packs will help those knees
2007-09-24 7:08 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
GREAT CENTURY.  I think bologna sandwiches at one of the rest stops would've been a great idea. 
2007-09-24 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Nice work! Sounds like a tour or local resteraunts. I don't know if I could eat chilli and keep riding a bike. Way to go on finishing your first Century!

2007-09-26 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Yeah! Great job. Congratulations. Great job for the amount of mileage you put in-I finished my century in 7 hours and put in 3 rides a week. You're awesome! There really is a different feel to a century ride. Less pressure, more fun. I really, really loved mine. Sounds like you did as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Baloney Ride Rss Feed