General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 58m 55s
Overall Rank = 198/263
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 32/42
Pre-race routine:

We made the 5 hour drive to OKC the day before the race. Checked in to the hotel and headed to the race check in and briefing. The check in was somewhat disjointed and the brief was worthless - so we left in the middle of that and went to dinner.
Event warmup:

Lindsey dropped me off for the race and headed back to the hotel to get some more sleep. I was pretty organized with my equipment, so after filling my water bottles, I wandered around, stretched, and hit the bathroom.
Swim
  • 50m 55s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had not swam a race in water with that much chop to it. It wasn't terrible, but it was enough to impact my breathing, navigation, and ability to swim straight. I swam away from the mass of swimmers again - this adds to my time, but helps me relax and swim stronger.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming in water with waves and current. Work on navigation and swimming straight.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

T1 was fine. They had carpet set up on the beach, so I didn't have to spend any time cleaning my feet off before putting on shoes and socks.

Turn on my GPS while in T1. I waited until the mount/dismount line and that took about 20 seconds to get the correct page and settings.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

The farthest I've ridden before this race was 23 miles, so I knew this was going to be rough. I felt good and thought I was staying within myself for most of the race. Around mile 40 I was getting pretty uncomfortable in the saddle. At mile 48 my legs didn't want to play anymore and my back didn't want to areo either. I was hoping to finish under 3hrs, but missed that by a few minutes.

Just need to train longer rides if I'm going to do races of this length.
Transition 2
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

I had no problems with the transistion. I took some extra time trying to stretch my legs and back before starting the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 53m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where I hit the wall. My legs did not want to even start the run. I figured after running a mile or so they would loosen up and fall into a slow pace - nope. I ended up walking as much as I ran. My longest run before this race was about 6 1/2 miles, so I knew this was going to be rough, but didn't think it would be this rough! I gutted the last mile out with a goal (at that point) to finish under 7 hrs. I was glad to get off my feet and in the shade!

Run longer distances and run after long bike rides if I'm going to continue racing this distance.
Post race
Warm down:

I met up with Lindsey and Jack, sat down in the shade, and drank some water. Jack wanted to play, so he kept grabbing my arm and telling me to "get up, Daddy!" Gotta love it. I signed up for a massage, but the family had already spent an hour in the sun and 93 degree heat, so we got my stuff and hit the road for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training program was not focused on bike and run distances of this length. I'm still learning how much water I need to take in during the race to balance between dehydrated and waterlogged. I'm sure I messed up the nutrition on a race of this length too.

Event comments:

The check in was not organized in logical order. The mandatory pre-race brief was terrible. People couldn't hear the briefers and the briefers were not impressive. On the good side, the race was marked very well, the traffice control was great, and the volunteers were wonderful.

Last updated: 2007-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:55 | 2000 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/263
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One counterclockwise loop, paralleling the shore. They started the HIM contestants in two waves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:34
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:49 | 56 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: One loop through the outskirts of OKC. The race volunteers and police officers were great; I never had to wait on or worry about traffic. There were almost no hills. Most of the road surface was smooth, but there were a couple rough spots.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:53:30 | 13.1 miles | 13m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice, flat run around Lake Hefner (named after Hugh, I think). Again, volunteers were lifesavers - plenty of drinks and snacks throughout.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 10:55 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2007-09-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: #975627

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman
Awesome job!  Sounds like you had a good time.  Thats what it's all about right?
2007-09-23 10:27 PM

User image

New user

Fairfax, VA
Sweet brother!!! I wish I could have been there...it was a little warm this weekend, I know that probably didnt help with the race. You did great, congrats on the HIM finish. I am in the process of rebuilding my knee with some PT and gym work. The doc I saw (multiple IM finisher and sport therapist) was a little disturbed with my lack of respect for my PCL tear...so he gave me a 6 month training plan for strengthening the knee...little running, lots of bike, lots of swim. I tried to call you but seems your phone is dead...

Great job man, give me a call if you can tommorrow. kevin
2007-09-24 9:33 AM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
Congrats!  That bike time is incredible given your lack of training at that distance.  Way to gut out the half mary.  It took balls just to start that race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed