General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moss Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-23 3:41 PM

User image

Subject: Moss Park
Some questions on the upcoming Moss Park Triathlon festival. Is anyone planning to race the Moss Park triathlon Sprint in two weeks? I've signed up for it. Has anyone ever raced at this location before? I'm nervious about the swim. It's by far my weakest event and my previous triathlon was only 440 yards vs the 750 for this course. Any feedback on the swim course? Is the lake pretty shallow? Also the Buttar site says to expect 74 degree water and it will be wet suit legal at that temperature. Is the the lake spring fed? 74 degrees sounds awful cold for the first weekend in October in central Florida.

2007-09-25 2:17 PM
in reply to: #975764

Subject: RE: Moss Park
I was signed up, but have decided against doing it.

Lucky's Lake was measured on the 15th at 87 degrees. I just measured the lake I live on in Seminole County, Lake Kathryn, this past Sunday and it was 85. I'm gonna pass.

Walking into the lake stirs up the critters. Wearing a nose clip reduces the risks, but one bad breath and you've got water up your nose. I understand the risk is very small, but if you do get the infection, death is 100% certain and it isn't a pleasant way to go.

No race is that important to me.

2007-09-30 11:14 PM
in reply to: #975764

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Moss Park

I've raced twice at this location . . . the lake is pretty shallow and is not spring fed. The water is very tannic and dark. 74 seems kind of colder than what I'd expect so soon,  but with cooler nights the shallow water will cool off quickly.

The two Olys I did were set up in a triangular course that you swam twice. Near the shore, it stays shallow for a bit, but you can not stand in the water for a majority of the course. The Buttar folks offer great support and there will be kayaks and such if you need to hold on for a little rest.

Its a long run from the lake to transition, some folks set up a 'secondary' transition area with shoes to protect their feet from the pine needles all over the place. If you decide to do this, be sure to pick an easy landmark to remember!

Good Luck in your race! I've had a great time at Moss Park and will race there every chance I get! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moss Park Rss Feed